Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long wait for NICS checks

Boolit Buddy

Long wait for NICS checks

In a LGS the other day, every one that was getting a NICS check was told they were pending and would be a minimum of 2 hours wait time. Is this normal everywhere right now? Haven't done one in a while myself so just curious. Last few I have done were immediate proceeds.

On a side note the shop had tons of ammo and quite a few primers and some powder. Didn't check much on ammo prices but saw 9mm for 20/box. Primers were 100/K. So prices are high but availability was the best I've seen for a while. Also had all types or primers except for LR.

Curious what the NICS situation is from other areas.

Boolit Buddy
    Central CT. 5 to 10 mins normally. Could take a half hour on weekends. Not much in primers powder or Inventory of used guns up here. Where are you at ??? uncle mike

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemikeinct View Post
    Central CT. 5 to 10 mins normally. Could take a half hour on weekends. Not much in primers powder or Inventory of used guns up here. Where are you at ??? uncle mike
    This was in NE PA

Boolit Master
    I have bought 2 rifles and a pistol in the last 2 years and all have been in the 5 minute range. NW Montana.

Boolit Master
    In Iowa, the concealed carry permit is an instant NICS check. No need to go through all that waiting and hoping.

Boolit Buddy
    I frequent several gun shops in Central Pa (Adams Co) and a few in Lebanon Co. The buyer completes the information on the computer and the shop sends it in. 5-10 minutes at the most with my purchases over the past month.

Its been a week since I've been around, but saw very little to no primers at those locations. Sucked it up and paid $38 lb. for Bullseye. They only had one and it was the first I've seen in quite some time. Ugh!!

Thanks,
    Isaac

Boolit Master

The last 3 that I've bought came back as denied pending further checking. This started at the same time that I let my Concealed Carry Permit to expire; curious. All 3 were approved but it took several days.

You'd be even less happy if you had your background check run in Oregon. The checks here are done by a department within the State Police, and since the first round of Covid 19 they've been running anywhere from about 6,000 to 2,500 checks behind. You can pretty well figure a 2 week wait (minimum) unless you have a valid CCW permit, in which case you go to the front of the line and it takes about 30 - 90 minutes.

DG

This is about PSP PICS, may apply to your situation .
    Originally Posted by Marines55

from what im being told, PSP decided to upgrade both hardware and software at the same time. many things are talking to each other....sometimes they do and its flawless, but this week has been a nightmare. about 50%-60% of customers are waiting the entire 3-10 hour time frame we are seeing on the website warnings. others go right through. hoping they have it all figured out before the show next weekend, but I bet Harrisburg show this weekend is stupid right now due to the PICS system wait time.

JNET and CLEAN

This is my, not so good attempt, to copy and paste on the phone. It's an FFL holder explaining about the long waits with Pa's instant check system. PICS.
    Last edited by Skooterr; 03-31-2022 at 02:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    i have bought 3 handguns this week and they were done in about 20 seconds... thats in ky, but i have an unusal last name so it typicall goes fast

Boolit Master

NICS is a typical government operation. The credit card companies can verify purchases, purchaser, and card in seconds. There is no reason NICS couldn't do it also except they are run by lazy, inept, incompetent government bureaucrats.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooterr View Post
    This is about PSP PICS, may apply to your situation .
    Originally Posted by Marines55

from what im being told, PSP decided to upgrade both hardware and software at the same time. many things are talking to each other....sometimes they do and its flawless, but this week has been a nightmare. about 50%-60% of customers are waiting the entire 3-10 hour time frame we are seeing on the website warnings. others go right through. hoping they have it all figured out before the show next weekend, but I bet Harrisburg show this weekend is stupid right now due to the PICS system wait time.

JNET and CLEAN

This is my, not so good attempt, to copy and paste on the phone. It's an FFL holder explaining about the long waits with Pa's instant check system. PICS.
    This must be the reason, haven't seen that before. It was literally every single person going through the check being told they were pending with a long wait. Luckily I wasn't purchasing anything, just observed those who were.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had a check in since Tuesday 3-29 so it takes a long while here
    at least for me
    funny thing is this is not the first time I have had a check and bought a gun
    the wheels turn slow sometimes
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    i have bought 3 handguns this week and they were done in about 20 seconds... thats in ky, but i have an unusal last name so it typicall goes fast
    I've bought or been with by buddy who bought, took longer to fill out the paperwork than the results coming back. All bought on Sunday morning in NY but both have unusual last names.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    You men need to get with the program.
    A shop gets more sales keeping you standing around for an hour or two.
    I always ask Where's the sofa so I can take a nap waiting on yall's slow ____
    Noone wants a stranger laid out snoring on their sofa.

Boolit Master
    My last check in Oregon a couple of months agoI was about #4800 on the list.
    "We'll call you, it'll be at least two weeks."

Boolit Grand Master
    mine came through today after being with my ffl since Tuesday
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    In Iowa, the concealed carry permit is an instant NICS check. No need to go through all that waiting and hoping.
    Same in Montana, and is one of the main reasons I keep my permit up to date.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    california seems to be delaying everyone past 30 days and leaving it up to the gunshop whether to sell to you after that. While I was at a shop approval came in for a gun that was sold a year ago. They don't like us and we REALLY DON'T LIKE THEM!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a bunch here have pretty bad delays then. I asked the original question because I have never seen this before, always instant approval. Seemed strange that everyone was delayed. But seems to maybe be fairly common now, what a shame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast