WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Winchester 1873

Try Ken Bean; they call him the "Sight Man". His company's name is "Sights and Antique Guns." He is located at: 383 Yorkana Road, York, PA 17406, (717) 755-9070.
    Might be the guy farmbif was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Try Ken Bean; they call him the "Sight Man". His company's name is "Sights and Antique Guns." He is located at: 383 Yorkana Road, York, PA 17406, (717) 755-9070.
    Might be the guy farmbif was talking about.
    Thank You! That’s one I have not heard of before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Sadly, it look's like Mr. Bean is no longer with us.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ary?id=7559461

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post

That is a shame. I remember seeing his stuff at a few shows. He'd have several 8 ft tables full of sights.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I just went ahead and order the one from Dixie Gun Works. Tonight I removed the two screws from the receiver holding the lever springs in. A previous owner had seriously jacked them up by not using the right flathead blade which looked to of occurred many years ago.

I ended up having to center punching them and drilling them out on my press. I had bought a screw set for a 3rd model, but apparently the carbines had smaller screws as the ones I bought were too big.

I’ve done all I’m comfortable with, so I’m the next week or two I’m shipping it to Mark Douglas at Cinnabar Gun Works in Oregon to give it a good once over and fix the things that needs fixing. I’ve been watching his YouTube videos a couple of years now and really enjoys what he does. Not trying to restore it, but just want to make it a reliable shooter again and give it several more good years of enjoyment.

Just a little update on this old girl. Since my last post I’ve replaced the extractor with one that works better than the one that was in it. It’s not perfect, but it’s much better anyway. I also drilled out the screws for the finger lever springs that essentially had no recess for a flat blade and replaced them with good screws.

I just finished replacing the lever safety bar as the original was worn down and rounded and did not work. Now it functions as it should, and I finally found me a carbine rear sight for it and installed it tonight. Now to try to put a few rounds down range tomorrow and get it set.

Next on the list is to replace the toggle links and all of the pins as the action is pretty sloppy. I might end up replacing the bolt as well. But as of right now, I think she should be a pretty good plinker. The reason I got her was one, she was at a good price, and two, I wanted one that I could work on myself and not be in danger of hurting the guns value. With the replacements that I’ve done so far, I think I’ve just increased its value to a degree. She looks rough, but she still has some life left in her though.

Boolit Master
    Looks good - enjoy yourself!

Here’s a short video on the final results on this old Winchester now that I have her back to shooting condition. It’s definitely been fun.

https://youtu.be/r9BhrEC5JKU

Now here she is running some Black. The smokeless loads are fun to run through this gun, but the Black is so much better. That is up until the cleaning has to be done that is. But man am I enjoying this old gun that I myself have brought back to life. This forum definitely had a big role in me achieving that as well. Thanks Everyone!!

https://youtu.be/9G6mdNTCog8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12