Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Homemade mayonnaise

Homemade mayonnaise

Why make your own? I make it to control what I consume, I know what's in mine when I make it myself. I don't want to eat soybean oil as all highly refined oils are high in Omega 6 fatty acids (they're inflammatory).

The problems with homemade mayo? Normally it ages too fast and needs to be used up within a week. The following recipe has a tweak that keeps it good for at least a month.

The original recipe is here, and also my changes because I can't not change a recipe. Frankly I couldn't pour off enough yogurt whey to get the required amount. Recipe with my notes follows.

Homemade Mayonnaise that Lasts Longer

A standard mayonnaise recipe with 1 tablespoon of whey added--instead of a week in the refrigerator, your homemade mayonnaise will keep for a month.

Ingredients
    1 egg + 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
    2 teaspoons apple cider or white vinegar
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon whey (drained from plain yogurt) (I just use plain yogurt with no draining. Could lemon yogurt be used? Might be worth a try but it will probably be sweetened.)
    Pinch of sea salt
    1 cup avocado oil (instead, any combination of the following [pick 2]: 50/50 coconut oil or MCT oil or buttery EVOO [pecan oil might be good])
    Dash of cayenne (red pepper)

Instructions
    Combine first five ingredients in a food processor bowl, a blender, or a medium mixing bowl. Blend well. (I use an immersion blender and a beaker.)
    Drip or barely trickle 1 cup of avocado oil into egg mixture with machine on or while you whisk vigorously by hand.
    Add a dash of cayenne.
    Pour finished mayonnaise into a glass jar and cover. Allow to sit on the kitchen cabinet at room temperature for 8 hours, then refrigerate.

Notes
    This mayonnaise will stay fresh for about a month when refrigerated and it’s delicious.

One of the reasons I like to make my own mayonnaise is so I can use one of my favorite foods, avocado oil. You can substitute vegetable oil or grapeseed oil. I don't personally care for olive oil in my mayonnaise. Namely, because the flavor is too strong. (Wrong olive oil then. Use a lesser grade, not EVOO, or use an olive oil from ripe olives. I use California brand “blended” olive oil from a bunch of different countries and 50% MCT oil and the mayo is delicious. I have used high grade EVOO in the past, and yes it does impart a distinctive flavor. Try different oils and see if any give a unique taste that you like!)
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

Thanks for the recipe. For the different oil I will try something I have been hearing about and wonder how it affects the flavor. Filtered bacon grease. More than anything else, it will probably add salt and a hint of smokiness.

I'm not a big yogurt fan. Any idea what to do with the rest of the container?

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    Thanks for the recipe. For the different oil I will try something I have been hearing about and wonder how it affects the flavor. Filtered bacon grease. More than anything else, it will probably add salt and a hint of smokiness.

If you have a septic system it's good culture, flush it down the toilet.

I bet bacon grease would be good! Maybe chicken fat too! I buy the small single serving yogurts so little would be wasted if flushed. But do you have a freezer for the next usage? I doubt that the freezing would kill the bacteria that we want. FWIW, you won't taste the yogurt in the mayo, or at least I don't.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the recipe!

Avocado oil has become one of my favorites! There is nothing better for seasoning cast iron and steel skillets than Avocado oil! It gives a nice deep bronze color to a seasoned pan.

Boolit Grand Master

LIKE !

Mmmmm ... all natural ingredients ... bacon grease !
    I have never made Mayo ... but I might have to try this .
    Bacon grease mayo ...that just sounds tastey ... howabout on a BLT !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

wow, 2 of my favorite foods, bacon and mayo COMBINED! How could that be bad?