Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Copper Tubing Bullet Jackets - Accuracy

Boolit Mold

Copper Tubing Bullet Jackets - Accuracy

Hi All,

Are .224 bullets made with copper tubing based jackets accurate? If so, are they more, less, or the same accuracy as bullets made with 22lr brass jackets? Thanks for any help!

Boolit Mold
    No one uses copper tubing bullet jackets? I'm wondering if it's worth the investment to get some tooling for this. Any advice is appreciated.

Boolit Master
    They aren't more accurate so much as more durable. The heavier wall tube stands up better on impact than the thinner wall shell casings.

Boolit Buddy
    i have used them in 50bmg and they worked good but nothing smaller.

Barnes started out making his bullets with jackets of copper tubing. They were well thought of. The copper seems to be softer than the cupro-nickel that is commonly used for bullet jackets. His jackets had thick walls as well. I used them in a custom .411 belted Whelen I put together about 30 years ago. I settled on 400 grains soft point at about 2,000 fps. Killed the biggest moose I've ever shot with that rifle at about 200 yards. FWIW the rifle was a 98 Mauser because the case had an '06 head diameter and length. Made brass from .240 Weatherby brass.

Jim

Boolit Master
    Copper tubing for .224? You would have to start with 1/4" OD refrigeration tubing, which does not leave much of a hole for the lead to fill. The bullets would be very long for weight compared to cup and core bullets. I use 1/2" type L ACR (1/2" OD A/C rigid tubing) to make jacketed .452 bullets, the core has to be .360" or smaller to fit in the jacket.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen utility grade soft copper tube and that is .250 OD and .020 wall thickness. You would need .160 lead and .170 core swage. All assuming you can find the small materials and tools. I make everything from 30 to 50 cal with tubbing and the 30 cal bullets in my 300 win mag are ok for hunting but are NOT target bullets. Talking like 2 to 3 inch groups which is fine for for deer in Wisconsin.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005f22c View Post
    No one uses copper tubing bullet jackets? I'm wondering if it's worth the investment to get some tooling for this. Any advice is appreciated.
    Potential accuracy of jacketed bullets depends on the quality of the jackets, the quality of the core and the quality of the maker. Neither spent .22 RF nor any roll of copper tubing are precisely made so no precisely home forged jackets of either is possible. If you want precision bullets, buy them; the worst of commercial bullets is likely to be better than the best of homemade.

IMHO, anyone interested in such work at home should be doing it for personal satisfaction because, like with our cast bullets, he's unlikely to produce lower cost, higher precision and effective bullets at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    Barnes started out making his bullets with jackets of copper tubing. They were well thought of. The copper seems to be softer than the cupro-nickel that is commonly used for bullet jackets. His jackets had thick walls as well. I used them in a custom .411 belted Whelen I put together about 30 years ago. I settled on 400 grains soft point at about 2,000 fps. Killed the biggest moose I've ever shot with that rifle at about 200 yards. FWIW the rifle was a 98 Mauser because the case had an '06 head diameter and length. Made brass from .240 Weatherby brass.

Jim
    Yes, these original Barnes bullet were very good game bullets. The lead was dead soft and with the copper jacked, the bullet just turned into a ball when it hit game and kept on going. There were not the most accurate bullet on the market, but there had plenty of accuracy for hunting. I still have several boxes of their original .308 225 grain pointed bullets.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.