RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a Dillon XL 750

Boolit Bub
    Thank you all for your feedback, I just dropped the hammer on an XL750 and plan to mass reload 38 special and 7.62x39. Looking forward to trying out the Dillon.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations, what’s the backorder timeline looking like?

Boolit Bub
    I didn't order any dies so keep that in mind but press, case feeder, large rifle and pistol plate, tool heads, 2x conversion caliber kits, all in stock.

Boolit Master
    That’s awesome!!

I ordered some 9mm dies, conversion and quick change for my 650 a while back and it was all at my door in less than a week despite dies being listed as 4-6wk BO.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd5412 View Post
    I didn't order any dies....
    Your LEE, Hornady, Redding, etc dies will probably work.

Some of the older LEE dies lack enough threads, so you have to put a Dillon lock nut under the toolhead.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Bub
    I'm banking on it, i mostly have RCBS and lyman dies

Boolit Buddy

I bought 2 750s last year and use the dies I already had. Lee, RCBS, Lyman and Hornady all work ok for me. I had to put the rings under the shell plate with a few of them.

Boolit Bub
    I didn't realize the tool head was that thick...thanks for the tip.

Boolit Bub
    I got the XL750 a few days back. I nearly bought the 1100 but when I saw a die changeover video and witnessed about a 30 minute changeover I quickly left that idea. With the new press, I loaded 800 rounds of 38 special then switched to 7.62x39 and loaded about 1000 rounds of that. With the case feeder and stand this machine is fantastic. Its easy to use, not too difficult to changeover (I think the Pro 2000 beats it there) but overall I'm on the Dillon wagon. I now understand why it has a strong support base and happy to join it. Cheers everyone!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    I bought 2 750s last year and use the dies I already had. Lee, RCBS, Lyman and Hornady all work ok for me. I had to put the rings under the shell plate with a few of them.
    What "rings under the shell plate" are you referring to?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    What "rings under the shell plate" are you referring to?
    The die lock rings. Some other manufacturers dies are too short to get your adjustment with the lock ring on top, so putting it on under the tool head and tightening from the bottom solves the problem.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    The die lock rings. Some other manufacturers dies are too short to get your adjustment with the lock ring on top, so putting it on under the tool head and tightening from the bottom solves the problem.
    Thanks. Shell plate verse the tool head had me wondering. In the past several people incorrectly installed the upgrade thrust bearing kits under the shell plate.

I do the same with the die locking rings when required.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy

Oops - sorry … no idea why I said “shell plate” when I meant “tool head”.
    I’m going to blame it on Siri.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd5412 View Post
    ........... I now understand why it has a strong support base and happy to join it. Cheers everyone!
    So is there something of additional advantage, besides having a good case collator? Very curious what you, a Pro-2000 user, have discovered.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    So is there something of additional advantage, besides having a good case collator? Very curious what you, a Pro-2000 user, have discovered.
    Both are great presses and each has its advantages. I really like how easy it is to change primers on the Pro 2000, the Dillon just takes a little more time. I also like the APS strips on the pro 2000 though it could be quirky but so can the Dillon. But the case feeder on the dillon is what I've been missing and I think it has a slightly more accurate powder measure by comparison. I can't use the RCBS lube die on the dillon, which is a bummer cause now I have to spray down cases though that it isn't that big of a deal. However, I do like the powder drop under my eye with the Dillon versus on the far side of the plate with the Pro 2000. I also feel like the Dillon has a smoother automation on the shell plate advancement (less powder spill) compared to the pro 2000. If I could Frankenstein the two presses we would have something special.

Thanks for the reply....very interesting. I really like the improved smoothness of the Pro Chucker 7......I wonder if the Dillon 750 also improved, since the 650's were just as rough as the Pro 2000, and both presses had "fixes" to smooth them out....

I agree the case feeder is very well done. Thank goodness I've been able to add both case and bullet feeders (admittedly homemade and 3d printed), but they seem to work just as well as my brother's factory ones for his 650....so I'm very satisfied with mine as he is his.

I do wish RCBS had updated on the APS technology, as it is better than most people realized and super safe. The "quirky" parts wasn't very hard to fix.

I think both green and blue are great systems....neither are perfect, but great nevertheless. Enjoy the hobby!

And btw, I never used the lubricator dies.....now I'm curiouser and curiouser! And why can't you use them on the 750? Having 7 stations on my newest press, I may just have to try one out......and see what the options are.

Powder measure comparison of accuracy? Depends on the powder. Depends on the model. The new 3rd generation Uniflow is pretty accurate as they changed cylinders. The large cavities were less accurate than the small ones. But Dillon accuracy also had its powders that measured less accurate.....enough so that some Dillon users bought Uniflow conversions. So depends on what powder you use.
    Last edited by GWS; 05-03-2022 at 09:23 AM.

I picked up a lightly used 650 a couple years ago. I ended up buying an extra priming set up for small primers, so now I have one of each small & large. changing out systems doesn't take but a few minutes.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post
    I picked up a lightly used 650 a couple years ago. I ended up buying an extra priming set up for small primers, so now I have one of each small & large. changing out systems doesn't take but a few minutes.
    Yes its just as easy if not quicker on the 750; the pro 2000 has something special in this regard by comparison....just super quick but you had to manually replace the powder measure so you lost time there during a conversion.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Thanks for the reply....very interesting. I really like the improved smoothness of the Pro Chucker 7......I wonder if the Dillon 750 also improved, since the 650's were just as rough as the Pro 2000, and both presses had "fixes" to smooth them out....

I agree the case feeder is very well done. Thank goodness I've been able to add both case and bullet feeders (admittedly homemade and 3d printed), but they seem to work just as well as my brother's factory ones for his 650....so I'm very satisfied with mine as he is his.

I do wish RCBS had updated on the APS technology, as it is better than most people realized and super safe. The "quirky" parts wasn't very hard to fix.

I think both green and blue are great systems....neither are perfect, but great nevertheless. Enjoy the hobby!

And btw, I never used the lubricator dies.....now I'm curiouser and curiouser! And why can't you use them on the 750? Having 7 stations on my newest press, I may just have to try one out......and see what the options are.

Powder measure comparison of accuracy? Depends on the powder. Depends on the model. The new 3rd generation Uniflow is pretty accurate as they changed cylinders. The large cavities were less accurate than the small ones. But Dillon accuracy also had its powders that measured less accurate.....enough so that some Dillon users bought Uniflow conversions. So depends on what powder you use.
    I suppose I could move the powder measure from station 2 to station 3 to allow the RCBS lube die in station 1 for decap and lube. Station 2 could be primer seat and sizing. then get powder, then powder measure check (I use one but not necessary) so I could just seat bullets in station 4. I take that back if this works then you should be able to use a lube die.

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I can only comment on the predecessors. I have both a 550 and a 650. For both I have complete small and large primer setups. When so equipped, primer changes aren’t a major event. Still, I considered selling my 550 and getting another 650 to have one each for large and small primers. When I added up the cost of caliber conversions for the 650 for everything I loaded on the 550, even factoring in selling the 550 conversions, it would have cost around $600 above the cost of the press and a reasonable allowance for the old caliber conversions. Just food for thought.
    I once bought a 550 and sold it, only to buy it again later. The 550 is not a progressive, it’s a press all unto its own, imo. Not a comparison. It’s worth having for it’s unique scope of use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast