RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a Dillon XL 750

Boolit Bub

Thinking of buying a Dillon XL 750

Hello,

I have an RCBS pro 2000 already and load 10 calibers. Talk me out of buying a 750 press as an upgrade please.

v/r
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    How many rounds of each caliber per year.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Recently, less than 5,000 for all calibers...but my future has many thousands of rounds assuming the gov't doesn't try to take my guns.
    Last edited by johnd5412; 03-29-2022 at 10:22 PM.

Honestly, if your budget allows, and the cartridges you want to load will physically fit, get it. I don't think you necessarily need to load a high volume to have a progressive make sense. Similar to the whole "you don't save money hand loading, you just save on cost per round" a progressive allows you to spend less time at the bench and more time on the range. Now yes, for some, me included, reloading is therapeutic in ways. I still have my single stage and have some cartridges I load on my 650 I put more effort and care into, including more brass prep. So if I want to crank out ammo, I use the 650, if I need a bunch of match grade pistol ammo, I use the 650. The single stage I use for match grade big stuff

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

It’s an opinion, but the 650 is a better press. Just a little more work to change primer from S to L and vise versus, but it’s a better primming system. I have a 650 and 550 for reference. 650 priming system is better. Talk you out of a 750 to look for used 650.
    Last edited by iflyskyhigh; 03-29-2022 at 11:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Love my 650. Grew up on my Dads 550 so I went one step up when it was my turn. Clocked myself without brass feeder at about 300 rds an hour which as earlier mentioned means I can crank out more faster which means less time loading and more time for other things like shooting.

Can’t speak to the 750 cause haven’t given it a second thought. Do keep in mind the price of caliber conversions though. I have quick change kits for all my calibers which is nice but price of everything keeps going up. A full set (dies, conversion, quick change) comes to $400 as of the beginning of March 2022. If you have dies that drops a fair amount but still about $280 plus shipper per caliber extra investment.

I will say I do like the powder checker. Very cool feature. Case feeder is in my future eventually as well.

I have read of concerns about the Dillon powder system not being consistent. I dial mine in to ten charges added up is less than .1gr difference meaning overall charges average less than .01gr variance per charge. Close enough for my shooting.

Boolit Grand Master
    The reason for my question was to make you think.

Look at the cost of conversions of a 750 vs a 550. Look at the time needed to do a conversion. Some of that "wasted time" doing a conversion can be mitigated by running say 600 rounds at a time.

I have had all the Dillon machines and after downsizing I am down to a 1050 and 550. The 550 is used for .40 and .45 ACP as I do not load more than 1000 a year of those calibers. I load .38's and 9mm in the 1050 and typically 1000-2000 rounds at a time. I sold the 650 (like the 750) years ago as it did not "fit" my needs.

5000 rounds a year with 10 calibers does not seem like a good fit for a 750, unless you shoot one or two calibers a lot more than the others. Changing primer set ups is a PITA for me, but not for others. I use dedicated tool heads with dies and powder measures set up...what are you planning?

Watch some YouTube videos on caliber changes to get a feel for the time and complexity of conversions.

From what you have shared, I think a 550 is a better way to go. When you get to shooting a lot more rounds, typically that will be in one or two calibers, and then the 750 or even a 1050 might make sense. Loading 5000 rounds a year at 300 rounds/hr is 17 hrs of handle cranking. Cost of 10 conversions and tool heads (without the powder measures) is $1500+ on the 750 and $1000+ on the 550. The 750 with case feeder and extra caliber plate is $1100, the 550 is $550. Bringing total system cost to over $2600 for the 750 and under $1600 for the 550.

Factoring in time wasted doing caliber change overs, I doubt you will save more than 8 hours a year loading 5000 rounds on the 750 vs the 550. Is that worth $1000 to you?

BTW, even when I had 5 progressives on the bench, I never loaded rifle cartridges on a progressive as I do not shoot enough rifle rounds to justify it, plus I am anal about rifle loads. I do plan on loading 5.56 on a progressive for blasting ammunition.

Now, one advantage of the 750 and 1050 presses is the ability to add a powder check die. I have one for each tool head on the 1050 for 9mm and .38. I get bored cranking out 7-800 rounds an hour so looking into each case to check powder drops is not a good way for me to load. It works for me because I use one load and do not need to fiddle with it much. It would be a PITA if you like to produce different loads, and will add considerable change over time if you only purchase one PC die and try to use it on 10 calibers.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The reason for my question was to make you think.

Look at the cost of conversions of a 750 vs a 550. Look at the time needed to do a conversion. Some of that "wasted time" doing a conversion can be mitigated by running say 600 rounds at a time.

I have had all the Dillon machines and after downsizing I am down to a 1050 and 550. The 550 is used for .40 and .45 ACP as I do not load more than 1000 a year of those calibers. I load .38's and 9mm in the 1050 and typically 1000-2000 rounds at a time. I sold the 650 (like the 750) years ago as it did not "fit" my needs.

5000 rounds a year with 10 calibers does not seem like a good fit for a 750, unless you shoot one or two calibers a lot more than the others. Changing primer set ups is a PITA for me, but not for others. I use dedicated tool heads with dies and powder measures set up...what are you planning?

Watch some YouTube videos on caliber changes to get a feel for the time and complexity of conversions.

From what you have shared, I think a 550 is a better way to go. When you get to shooting a lot more rounds, typically that will be in one or two calibers, and then the 750 or even a 1050 might make sense. Loading 5000 rounds a year at 300 rounds/hr is 17 hrs of handle cranking. Cost of 10 conversions and tool heads (without the powder measures) is $1500+ on the 750 and $1000+ on the 550. The 750 with case feeder and extra caliber plate is $1100, the 550 is $550. Bringing total system cost to over $2600 for the 750 and under $1600 for the 550.

Factoring in time wasted doing caliber change overs, I doubt you will save more than 8 hours a year loading 5000 rounds on the 750 vs the 550. Is that worth $1000 to you?

BTW, even when I had 5 progressives on the bench, I never loaded rifle cartridges on a progressive as I do not shoot enough rifle rounds to justify it, plus I am anal about rifle loads. I do plan on loading 5.56 on a progressive for blasting ammunition.

Now, one advantage of the 750 and 1050 presses is the ability to add a powder check die. I have one for each tool head on the 1050 for 9mm and .38. I get bored cranking out 7-800 rounds an hour so looking into each case to check powder drops is not a good way for me to load. It works for me because I use one load and do not need to fiddle with it much. It would be a PITA if you like to produce different loads, and will add considerable change over time if you only purchase one PC die and try to use it on 10 calibers.
    Don, very fantastic response and I appreciate the time you put into it. I shoot the absolute dog poo out of my S&W 686 (easy to find the brass in a wheel gun) so the vast majority of my reloads are on that pistol and mostly 38 special to keep costs down. I have an AK47 that like you on the .223 I want to mass produce and shoot extreme volumes...your input has given me pause so I will consider that approach. So far, no one seems to be talking me out of a Dillon or any other press upgrade. I feared that might happen, lol! Cheers.

Boolit Master
    I found a used 650 on eBay and got it the last few seconds of bidding, only problem was the guy wouldn’t ship it so had to drive to Houston to pick it up. But was pleasantly surprised when he threw in 5 extra tool heads and boxes of .223 , .308 , 9mm brass and extra powder measure Lyman vibrating tumbler. You never know what you will get. Have 2 650 now 1 for small and 1 for large primers. I load in spurts so they sit a lot but when you need them it’s sure handy to just start loading and not worry about primer sizes, and yes you will need powder check dies.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by johnd5412 View Post
    Don, very fantastic response and I appreciate the time you put into it. I shoot the absolute dog poo out of my S&W 686 (easy to find the brass in a wheel gun) so the vast majority of my reloads are on that pistol and mostly 38 special to keep costs down. I have an AK47 that like you on the .223 I want to mass produce and shoot extreme volumes...your input has given me pause so I will consider that approach. So far, no one seems to be talking me out of a Dillon or any other press upgrade. I feared that might happen, lol! Cheers.
    Dillon 550? My response to that is where's the upgrade? 5 stations to 4 stations?

Now ADDING another progressive would make more sense to me. I use a Pro 2000 too.....and since I slowed down (soon to retire, I hope) I added a seven station Pro Chucker 7 and a Lee APP. Then added a $500 3d printer, which allowed me to build 3 electric bullet feeder/collators and 2 electric case feeder/collators for about $75 each, with help from a Cast Boolits Subforum on the subject. And having a blast doing it. I don't care which brand progressive you want to .......ah....add.... you can't have too many.

So what does a 3d printer do for me on a case feeder-less progressive like the Pro 2000? Well this video shows a printed case feeder I printed and now use, that works quite well.

Have since slowed that down just a little when my speed control came in..... I blame jmorris for getting me interested in 3d printers.....I thank him every day, he just doesn't hear me. For that matter, he was the inspiration for my home-made feeder below. So how do I feed them to the shell plate? Well, I built a "semi-auto" feeder years before discovered 3d printers and made the collator pictured above .... any feeder for the Pro 2000 required using an "articulated" shuttle to get around the lack of having a straight shot to the plate, because of the strip primer feeder, but it works.

I do have one little problem.......my 8' bench is more than a little cluttered now with great reloading tools.

I dedicate my Pro 2000 to pistol, my Pro Chucker to rifle, my Lee APP for case and bullet prep, all with electric feeders, and my 2 singles relegated to odd or small jobs and load development. Hmmm, maybe there's a way to feed them too. Maybe if I get to actually retire soon, and have more time, I'll find out.
    Last edited by GWS; 03-31-2022 at 04:47 PM.

Boolit Master

I can only comment on the predecessors. I have both a 550 and a 650. For both I have complete small and large primer setups. When so equipped, primer changes aren’t a major event. Still, I considered selling my 550 and getting another 650 to have one each for large and small primers. When I added up the cost of caliber conversions for the 650 for everything I loaded on the 550, even factoring in selling the 550 conversions, it would have cost around $600 above the cost of the press and a reasonable allowance for the old caliber conversions. Just food for thought.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    A Dillon 450, 2-550's bumped up with the add-ons and now for a number of years running 2-650's. There has already been a lot said, but take a little advice from a 74 year old who started hand loadind at age 15. All this advice about saving money on what you love is BS. If you can afford it, buy the best you can and enjoy it! When you get to the end of the road that is what your good memories will be made of.

I don't think I am alone when I say I personally think the Dillon 750 was a big step backwards. The 550's are an excellent press, but the priming system was the weak link.

The 650 was a progressive designed from the ground up and it just works! Having the extra station allows for a powder check or a bullet feeder add on and either is a real plus. I personally would rather have a used, but loved 650 than a new 750, but if the 750 is what you can get, go with it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    A Dillon 450, 2-550's bumped up with the add-ons and now for a number of years running 2-650's. There has already been a lot said, but take a little advice from a 74 year old who started hand loadind at age 15. All this advice about saving money on what you love is BS. If you can afford it, buy the best you can and enjoy it! When you get to the end of the road that is what your good memories will be made of.

I don't think I am alone when I say I personally think the Dillon 750 was a big step backwards. The 550's are an excellent press, but the priming system was the weak link.

The 650 was a progressive designed from the ground up and it just works! Having the extra station allows for a powder check or a bullet feeder add on and either is a real plus. I personally would rather have a used, but loved 650 than a new 750, but if the 750 is what you can get, go with it.
    Copy all that my good friend. I'll keep my eye out for a 650 on the used market...I'm still slamming away on my RCBS pro 2000 but dang that case feeder option would be great. Unfortunately, I did a mock buy for CCI primers and the basket came up to $750....***. Glad I have 15K small pistol primers but shooting on the 45-70 is going to get expensive! I appreciate your input and comments and many more wonderful years of reloading to come your way!

Boolit Grand Master

I cannot comment of the 750 since I have never used one. I started progressives with a Dillion 450. Then I purchased a pair of 550's shortly before the 650 was introduced. I was never happy with the manual advance of the 450/550 class machines. They went down the road for a 650. Later I picked up a second than a third 650. I really like them. Currently I have three 650's, two 1050's and a RL1000. I have no plans on ever getting rid of any of them.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-05-2022 at 09:08 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I have an XL650.

I LOVE IT

It's a wonderful, reliable machine that makes very high quality ammo.

the casefeeder, and powder check system make it a no brainer.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I have the 750 with case feeder and bullet feeder. I leave it set up for 9mm and sometimes switch to 223. I use my 550 way way more. Load .38, 357 SIG, 357 mag, .40, .45 on the 550. Rock chucker for bigger than 223 rifle rounds. 750 is great. It's fast, especially with a bullet feeder. If you have the money to spend, sure.... Get one.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I used a 550 for 30-years and only stopped using it when it started malfunctioning. I upgraded to a 750, added the case-feeder, then a Mr. Bulletfeeder. I now reload 18-rounds of .45acp a minute, 10k a year, and ended up w/ Tendonitis. If I could find a motor drive that was not outrageously expensive, I would add it, also. The 750 is very good, but caliber changes are slow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dillon750-2022.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	298793
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

I have acquired a 550B with a case feed it is nice but expensive to buy the conversion kits they call them bur a far better press then the LNL hornady in my opinion
    With that said I would a 5 station 650 that I’m with everybody else on the 750s I don’t like them or the square deal

Boolit Master

For those recommending a 550, a quick reminder that the OP already has a 5 station progressive. I would consider it, at best, to be a lateral move if I replaced my Pro 2000 auto-index with a 550. Likely I would see it as a downgrade.

Would lose:

reliability of priming and ease of changeover
    Speed and simplicity of caliber changeovers
    Lower cost of conversions
    Auto-index
    Cast iron

Would gain

A press that is still in production so warranty parts would theoretically be around longer

That being said, a case-fed 750 is very appealing to me for a cartridge or two that is run at higher volume.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

Delete. Duplicate
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast