Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking of buying a Dillon XL 750

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I once bought a 550 and sold it, only to buy it again later. The 550 is not a progressive, it’s a press all unto its own, imo. Not a comparison. It’s worth having for it’s unique scope of use.
    My 550 is certainly a progressive. It doesn’t have auto advance but it does four separate operations simultaneously and produces a loaded round with every stroke of the handle. I’ve heard of people using it like a turret press but never understood why.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

The 550 is a semi-progressive press in that the operator must manually cycle it to reload. Not that it matters.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Keep the pro-2000, I have a super 1050 but still use my pro 2000 a lot and if times get hard again the 1050 goes first. Your pro-2000 is payed for and so are the caliber conversions.

Here in Canada there is a 6 month wait for super 1050 caliber conversions, top plates, … and the price is stunning.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by johnd5412 View Post
    Yes its just as easy if not quicker on the 750; the pro 2000 has something special in this regard by comparison....just super quick but you had to manually replace the powder measure so you lost time there during a conversion.
    If using the same size powder rotor the measure stays in place in the fixed 3rd station. Or if changing measures it is a single thumb screw out then in.

Of course it takes a few seconds to turn the powder die up or down and to adjust the micrometer for the given case and powder charge. In that regard a Dillon with a dedicated powder die and measure on each toolhead saves time but adds a lot of cost.

That's a thoughtful feature of the Pro 2000 in that the cost of conversions are inexpensive given that you'll at most only need 2 powder measures.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I bought the 750 after having the 550 and a rock chucker for a few years.
    Set it up with a case feeder and printed bullet feeder and it's almost too easy. I had to get the DAA short powder bar to use the bullet feeder and powder check together, but it cracks out bullets like crazy. I can't talk you out of it because I couldn't talk myself out of it.
    I have about 10 caliber conversions for the 550 with 7 of them being quick change. I only did 9mm and .223 for the 750.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I run 3 square deals, a 550 w/case feeder, a xl 650, a Rockchucker, a lyman turret, a Lee classic turret and a Lee challenger for decapping cases. The 550 always had problems with primers. Inline has an excellent fix with a roller type of priming arm that has totally fixed the problem. I love the xl 650 w/case feeder. I run 41 mag, .44 special and 45 colt on the square deals. The Lee classic does my 30-36 and 6.5 x 55 sweeds. The 550 is the most versatile but lacking the extra station for a powder checker I would opt for the xl 650 even though it costs more and the conversion kits are expensive. I have no experience with the 750.
    The powder checker die are a very serious safeguard against` under or over charging a case. I momentarily powerful brain fart can end up costing you or your loved one an eye or a mangled hand or worse. That to me is worth a couple thousand dollars.
    This is a fun but dangerous hobby so buy the best equipment you can afford.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Dillon 650 with the case feeder. I personally don't find that a caliber change takes an excessive amount of time, maybe 5 minutes and another couple of minutes if you need to change primer size (though I did splurge for a second complete primer assembly so that makes it less of an exercise). I also prefer that 'telephone dial' primer feed.

I will say that the conversion kits are pretty pricey, but Dillon stuff does seem to be 'buy once, cry once'.

For me, even though I don't shoot 30k rounds a year, best thing is the fact that if I need 100 rounds of 9mm and its 100+ degrees in the garage, I can make them in literally a few minutes, safely, with a powder check and not 'rushing'.

Boolit Master

Fragman, all very good points.

Boolit Buddy

I load 45-70's on a Dillon Super 1050. This great press feeds 2 Gatling guns! One a new Colt 5-barrel 1877 Bulldog and the other a 10 barrel 1878 Model. I often shoot my Gatling loads in my 86' Winchesters, a Remington Keen, and several 1874 Sharps with great accuracy. Am reading all the pro and cons of the Dillon 650 and 750's. Don't like changing calibers. Easier to buy another press. Might just look for an experienced 650 !

I have the new 750 and absolutely love it. I also have the 550 which is also solid. I don’t have any issues on the 750 with priming or caliber conversions.

Boolit Bub
    Good call on the Dillon purchase.

My opinion of course, but my view is that Dillon is superior in every important way to other progressive presses.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123