WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: USPS shipping box alternative to SFRB

Boolit Bub

USPS shipping box alternative to SFRB

When the USPS Small Flat Rate Box isn't quite large enough, Skip the Medium FRB and you may want to try the Regional Rate Box A. It is 3 times bigger than the SFRB and at times it's cheaper or not much more. These boxes are free from USPS. The only downside is they have a 15 pound limit.
    Last edited by gwozdz; 04-05-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Padded flat rate envelope (it's made of tough bubble plastic) will hold about twice as much brass as the SFRB and ships for about same price (maybe 20¢ more?). Most PO's don't stock the Padded flat rate envelope, so you have to order them online from USPS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

A large flat rate envelope will hold 2 SFRBs and ships at the envelope rate too.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

Great posts all....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Padded flat rate envelope (it's made of tough bubble plastic) will hold about twice as much brass as the SFRB and ships for about same price (maybe 20¢ more?). Most PO's don't stock the Padded flat rate envelope, so you have to order them online from USPS.
    You can also fit 2 aft boxes in one envelope! I do it all the time! Oops just realized minerat already posted this!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Great minds work alike poppy.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Those regional rate boxes are even flimsier than the flat rate boxes. Use care packing and taping. I’m a big fan of the bubble mailers. They are tough for the employees to break open. Even the seal strip is near impossible to rip.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Vendor Sponsor

There is one mailing box slightly bigger than a SFRB which will fit nicely in a padded bubble flat rate mailer. It looks like a SFRB but just says Mailing Box on it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    There is one mailing box slightly bigger than a SFRB which will fit nicely in a padded bubble flat rate mailer. It looks like a SFRB but just says Mailing Box on it.
    Fun fact
    DougGuy is refering to the 1096L USPS priority box (not flat rate). It was originally designed for VHS tapes with commercial package, like would be used by movie rental stores.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Great info. Another thing to know is that, around here at least, you can't find the regional boxes at the post office. You have to order them online, free from USPS.com.

Regional Box A (15lb limit) goes from about the same price as the SFRB (nearby) up to nearly the same cost as a MFRB (cross country).
    Regional Box B (20lb limit) goes from about the same price as the SFRB (nearby) up to about as much as a LFRB cross country.

Boolit Master

I found that the regional boxes were not flat rate. In my experience the rate varies with the region.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I found that the regional boxes were not flat rate. In my experience the rate varies with the region.
    This is very true. In the same region, regional boxes are the best thing going, about the same price as a SFRB. For further regions, the A box goes up to almost as much as a MFRB, and the B box goes up to about as much as a LFRB.

For more than 15 or 20 lbs, and further away than just a couple states, the MRFB is usually your best bet.

Boolit Master

Just to throw in my $.02... There is also a legal size flat rate envelope that is only slightly more than the regular Flat rate envelope. I have found that A and B sized can save money if you are sending items too relatively close locations. Coast to coast they are more money than Medium FRBs. Hawaii and Alaska are cheaper if you stick with regular flat rate,,,, at least from Michigan. You do have to order regional boxes, legal flat rate envelopes, and padded flat rate envelopes. It is easy from the USPS website. They are free but you can also buy stamps there. And tape if you need it too.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    Just to throw in my $.02... There is also a legal size flat rate envelope that is only slightly more than the regular Flat rate envelope. I have found that A and B sized can save money if you are sending items too relatively close locations. Coast to coast they are more money than Medium FRBs. Hawaii and Alaska are cheaper if you stick with regular flat rate,,,, at least from Michigan. You do have to order regional boxes, legal flat rate envelopes, and padded flat rate envelopes. It is easy from the USPS website. They are free but you can also buy stamps there. And tape if you need it too.
    I get a better deal on tape by buying bulk packs-6 or 8-at WallyWorld. Make sure you get the heavier tape the thin stuff is hard to use and does not protect cardboard as well.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Thanks for the options.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I get a better deal on tape by buying bulk packs-6 or 8-at WallyWorld. Make sure you get the heavier tape the thin stuff is hard to use and does not protect cardboard as well.
    Yes I know, also Menards sells the big packs of tape for a lot less..... But it doesn't say "Priority Mail"" in big official looking letters on it.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

I thought I used to pay less when paying and printing postage online - but I paid the same as the rate posted in the PO on a SFRB yesterday !

Boolit Master
    Our local, small, rural (but very busy) Post Office has a very limited assortment of Flat Rate boxes, labels, and such on hand - frequently none at all. I stocked up on the sizes that I use most often by ordering online. Believe it or not, the most difficult thing to acquire was the Flat Rate address labels! I waited over a month for them!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    USPS has jacked up their proces to the point its about the same price to ship FedEX by me. Also faster service and less of change of damage or a lost package imo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    I thought I used to pay less when paying and printing postage online - but I paid the same as the rate posted in the PO on a SFRB yesterday !

It sure beats driving to the PO though. A medium flat rate box will fit in my mailbox, a large will fit in my neighbors who doesn't mind me putting stuff in it.