RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Projector Progressive Press

Boolit Bub

Hornady Projector Progressive Press

It's a while since I last reloaded anything. I am currently doing some much needed shop cleaning. I found my Hornady Projector. I honestly forgot I even own one. I ran less than 100 rounds through the machine. Although this is a great machine, I find myself wanting a newer. I was told by a friend that Hornady has/had a trade in program? Does anyone know if that is still the case?

Boolit Master
    I traded in my old projector for a new Lock and Load about 5 or 6 years ago. I think I had to put in some cash as well. Give them a call and find out if the deal is still going.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    "Although this is a great machine, I find myself wanting a newer."

Why?

I have 7 PROJECTORS, one dedicated to each of the calibers I regularly shoot. My first one was purchased in 1987 for my 44 MAG and has probably loaded well in excess of 25,000 rounds, and as long as I don't use CCI primers, never a bobble. The rest have loaded well in excess of 10,000 each with the 38 SPEC. probably approaching the 44 MAG count. I have used the L-N-L press and I thoroughly detest the priming system, plus I'm not overly thrilled with the powder measuring system.

So, once again, why do you think you need to "upgrade"? Unless your time is extremely valuable, and you load for umpteen calibers which requires many die changes, those few extra minutes that it takes to change dies is meaningless. The time taken to change the shell plate and readjust the powder measure is pretty much the same for either press, and changing the primer size on the L-N-L is, in my opinion, a huge pita. All that being said, I'll take my PROJECTORS (and/or a L-N-L) over any dillon, any time, every time.

Please do not think this post is an attack on you by any means. I'm just very curious as to why.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post

Why?

I have 7 PROJECTORS, one dedicated to each of the calibers I regularly shoot. My first one was purchased in 1987 for my 44 MAG and has probably loaded well in excess of 25,000 rounds, and as long as I don't use CCI primers, never a bobble. The rest have loaded well in excess of 10,000 each with the 38 SPEC. probably approaching the 44 MAG count. I have used the L-N-L press and I thoroughly detest the priming system, plus I'm not overly thrilled with the powder measuring system.

So, once again, why do you think you need to "upgrade"? Unless your time is extremely valuable, and you load for umpteen calibers which requires many die changes, those few extra minutes that it takes to change dies is meaningless. The time taken to change the shell plate and readjust the powder measure is pretty much the same for either press, and changing the primer size on the L-N-L is, in my opinion, a huge pita. All that being said, I'll take my PROJECTORS (and/or a L-N-L) over any dillon, any time, every time.

Please do not think this post is an attack on you by any means. I'm just very curious as to why.
    Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking the newer unit was better? Maybe I should set it up again and runs a few hundred rounds and see if it will suit my needs. I'm hoping it will work out, it will save me some money I could invest in components.

I'd keep the old one.
    I've had both. The new primer system can be rather finicky, and I prefer the old style.

I'd get the conversion kit for using the new generation powder station.
    It's some linkages & such to put the old powder hopper on a station and have it actuated by a case.

The LNL bushings are made to compete with the other brands with change out plates to convert to a new caliber.
    It's a solution for a problem I don't really have. I like the old style where the dies screw down into the frame.

Those three things, and grease fittings on the pivot points are about the only differences.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd keep the old one.
    I've had both. The new primer system can be rather finicky, and I prefer the old style.

I'd get the conversion kit for using the new generation powder station.
    It's some linkages & such to put the old powder hopper on a station and have it actuated by a case.

The LNL bushings are made to compete with the other brands with change out plates to convert to a new caliber.
    It's a solution for a problem I don't really have. I like the old style where the dies screw down into the frame.

Those three things, and grease fittings on the pivot points are about the only differences.
    Thanks. I'm glad I asked here before going with it. By the way, the trade-in program is still active. Hornady wants $350. It's not bad, but also not great. I would rather save money. I found the original tutorial in VHS tape for it. Going to the local Goodwill to see if they have a VHS player.

Here are the requirements if anyone is curious.

Here are the details on the trade-in program for your Pro-Jector press.
    Please return the following:

o Press
    o Powder measure
    o Powder measure adaptor
    • Keep your dies and any accessories that didn’t come with the machine
    • We can exchange old shell plates for $20 each
    • Please call to get a return authorization
    o 1-800-338-3220
    • The charge is $350 – payable by check, money order or credit card
    • May increase if parts are missing
    Last edited by pugjunga123; 03-29-2022 at 01:26 PM.

That's basically a $200. trade in allowance on the new one.

If it was me, I'd keep the Pro-Jector, and buy the adapter linkages that will convert your old
    powder measure to the modern case actuated style.
    It's about $80. With it and your old press--- you almost/sort of have the best of both of presses.

The new way that loaded rounds eject off the new press is much less finicky that the old one, and I really like it--
    but for me, it wouldn't be worth buying the new press just to get it.

And like Boss Hog on 'The Dukes of Hazzard' would say, "I'll be passing the savings on-- to me".

The old shell plates may or may not work on the new press,
    but I understand the new generation shell plates still work on the old press.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Bub
    That's basically a $200. trade in allowance on the new one.

If it was me, I'd keep the Pro-Jector, and buy the adapter linkages that will convert your old
    powder measure to the modern case actuated style.
    It's about $80. With it and your old press--- you almost/sort of have the best of both of presses.

The new way that loaded rounds eject off the new press is much less finicky that the old one, and I really like it--
    but for me, it wouldn't be worth buying the new press just to get it.

And like Boss Hog on 'The Dukes of Hazzard' would say, "I'll be passing the savings on-- to me".

The old shell plates may or may not work on the new press,
    but I understand the new generation shell plates still work on the old press.
    Thanks, I just ordered the powder measure conversion. The funny thing is that as I am writing this is that I am staring at another progressive press, RCBS Pro 2000, I bought at an all or nothing deal a few years back.

The pro 2000 is a good press.
    If I had one, I'd get whatever spare parts I thought might need before they dry up since it's been discontinued.
    Sometimes on older stuff, parts that don't cross over to the new models can sometimes be hard to find.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post

Why?

Wow 7 Projectors, another Projector user here, Have the Pro-7's also, bought 2 when they first came out one
    to reload 308, the other to reload 38/357, they work great, have 7 or more Projectors like you, extra shell
    plates, priming system parts, each has it's own use. Have a LNL-AP also, actually the older ones work better
    Have Dillons they are okay, Like the old stuff Stars.

Anyway back to the original post....
    Stick with the Projector, your hardest thing is going to be anything that has to do with the priming system, Hornady
    has some parts but are hit n miss, priming system is a no go though. I really don't know what they do with the
    Trade -ins. On that subject I called some years yes they will give you a credit towards a LNL-AP, but the more
    complete your trade-in is the more of a credit you get. Decided to keep it instead found parts. I purchased my
    LNL-AP with Case Feeder cheap one of them deals, where you sign up as a new user, get 40% off your first purchase
    goi another deal half price for the case feeder, the plates, plus a cash credit for buying the press. Worked out
    really cheap.

Bottom line keep the Projector...find some spare parts / shell plates

I know I will probably here this is better and that does more, if it works for
    you great. not trying to be bad about.

-Rock

I have 1,000's of rounds thru mine (circa 1993) loaded 30M1 Carb, 44 Mag, 38 SPL, 45 LC, 223, 30-30, 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball, 7 TCU, 308, 22-6 mm, 350 Rem Mag, 350 Legend, and forming various wild cat cases.

When loading 38 SPL's I use a LEE case activated powder measure.

Newer shell plates have worked on my Projector. They are a great machine.

I'm not sure how many rounds I've run through my projector but it's well over 100k. I did keep track of one 1911 that had 45K rounds through it all loaded on that projector press. Once you figure out the priming system the only other part that gave me trouble was the case ejector arm and only on 9mm. If you ever get to the adjustment limit of the pawls, you likely need to replace the $2 bronze thrust washer under the index wheel at the bottom of the ram. If it wasn't for that worn thrust washer I wouldn't of bought a new LNL-AP. I hate the LNL bushings and several older dies are almost too short to use with it. I had almost all of the projector shell plates so I opted to just cut the LNL ejector slot in them myself since I have several lathes and mills. The mill was the faster route for me. I found it annoying that I had to get a specific #45 shell plate for 45acp since the one I'd been using on the projector for the past 30+ years would allow the rims to wedge ontop of the case ejector and bind the press up. The primer system on the LNL had the capability to be a much nicer priming system, but they never made any accomidations for random powder kernels finding their way into the primer slide slot and preventing the primer slide from fully closing. The result is no primer/primer jam or my favorite a broken primer slide. I'm thinking about taking the subplate off of the ram and using a dovetail cutter to undercut the primer slide slot to give loose powder or dirt a place to go. This is something that Hornady should of done in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    using a dovetail cutter to undercut the primer slide slot to give loose powder or dirt a place to go.
    That's a problem I have with my LNL. I keep a air hose handy to blow out the sliding primer bar once in awhile.

I never like the LNL bushings with the 'O' ring and they always bugged me.
    A generous amount of JB Weld has solved that issue for me.

EVERYONE!

That's a problem I have with my LNL. I keep a air hose handy to blow out the sliding primer bar once in awhile.

I never like the LNL bushings with the 'O' ring and they always bugged me.
    A generous amount of JB Weld has solved that issue for me.
    I keep a chip brush next to the press and use it to clean out the primer slide. I've been very tempted to replace all of the LNL bushing inserts with the threaded inserts. I suspect one day when it ticks me off enough I'll order or make the bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I've been very tempted to replace all of the LNL bushing inserts with the threaded inserts. .
    Being lazy,,,,,,,,, and doing one at a time:
    I took off the 'O' ring, put a die into the insert far enough to rest below the top of the frame & hit the shell plate,
    wiped JB weld all around the outside of the LNL insert, installed it firmly in the press,
    and lowered the handle to bear some pressure up on it while the JB set up.

So far so good. I even did it on my LNL single stage press too.

EVERYONE!

I prefer the Projector, because I like a few of the features more.

1. you can remove the primer tube with primers in it, and they don't fall out
    2. the primer punch can't bind up from spilled powder like on the LnL
    3. the shellplate rotation assembly is built much stronger than the LnL
    4. the shellplate carrier doesn't rely on the ejection nub of the LnL that eventually wears down, binding up the rotation by failing to eject rounds

In general, it's much more time consuming to get a Projector correctly setup and working, especially for someone new to reloading. If you want to reload multiple calibers, especially changing between large and small primers, the LnL will be easier and quicker to set up.

https://ysterhout.net/docs/projector-tune/index.html

The Pro 2000 is the finest progressive I've got. The fit and finish of the parts is immaculate. That alone must have cost RCBS fortunes in labour.

The shellplate retaining bolt is the weak link, it doesn't lend itself to bottleneck rifle case resizing on the press. No progressive press is actually designed to handle the strain of bottleneck rifle sizing, so that is not a surprise. I size for rifle single stage any way.
    Last edited by 414gates; 03-30-2022 at 04:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Listen to Moleman.
    Search for older threads, there are many modifications that may help.
    I think QC on the older presses was better than the newer LnL.
    I'd keep it if you have all the primer parts.

Boolit Master
    The Pro-sector was a good press. I loaded about 80,000 rounds of .45 amp on mine before I traded it in, and I bought it used. It did need a coupe of mods at the beginning to make it run consistently, primarily the primer actuator arm. I traded it in because the small parts of the advance mechanism were worn out and parts were getting hard to come by. I was also taken in by the idea of easier caliber changes using the LN bushings. I have mixed feelings about that now. However, I don't have room for 4 or 5 dedicated progressives so I guess the LNL makes sense. If you search the forums you should come up with a number of good threads on tuning up the Projector for production.

Boolit Master

I have a Pro-Jector that I "replaced" with a Dillon 650. I still use the Pro-Jector for calibers that I don't shoot enough of to warrant getting my 650 set up, but that I shoot enough of that a single stage becomes a liability. As mentioned, the primer system is a liability since I don't know of any replacement primer tubes that will work, and Hornady doesn't have any extra at least when I checked. If someone knows a "hack" please share.

I still use my Lee hand press to reload certain calibers. To me, using different equipment adds to the enjoyment of the hobby, and using a discontinued press with a personality like the Pro-Jector gets you bonus points.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

I have lots of presses, Dillon 1050 (2) , Star (3), Projectors (3), etc
    All have their pluses, I use the Projectors for 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt
    They seem to like large primers better than small primers

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast