RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I too picky??

Frosted Boolits

Am I too picky??

So I got this mold new from Midway, handed it to a buddy at work who runs a mill, and asked him to remove the gas check shank. Upon returning it to me (I never even looked at the mold), he let me know about extreme chatter in one of the cavities. Here’s a pic, and the response from Lee. I’m kind of disappointed, but then got to thinking, “Am I being too picky??”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7855FEF9-A3BA-42F0-ABC7-5D9F3B48F056.jpeg 
Views:	182 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	298293

Name:	1B8ACF0A-EFBC-4C0A-B954-25C8D4CEA72A.jpeg 
Views:	172 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	298294

Here is my email to Lee:
    “ Hi there! I purchased a 2 cavity mold, the 501-440 from Midway (if my memory serves me correctly) and the finish on one cavity has quite a bit of chatter. The finish in one cavity is excellent, but the other cavity is very rough. This roughness, of course, is very visible in the cast bullet. I will attach pictures so you can see the problem. I am a machinist and as soon as I got the mold Ihanded it to one of our mill operators and had them remove the gas check shank. I never even took it out of the box to look at it initially. When he brought it back he notified me of the finish in the one cavity. I tried casting with it and unfortunately the bullets are slightly out of round and don’t size all the way around. If I’ve voided the warranty by removing the gas check shank, I understand. I’ve made worse mistakes in life lol. Thank you for taking the time and advising!”

Here is the response I got from Lee:

“ Anthony,

You could return the mold, and we can mic the cavity, if it is under size we would replace it. Chatter on big bore tooling like that is typical, especially when the tooling is brand new. We have no guarantee on finish, but from photos it looks more than useable.

I am attaching a return form on this email. It has all the info you need to return it.

Thank You,

Kyle
    Customer Service”

Needless to say, its going back because it is out of round and only about 2/3 of it sizes even after powder coating. But just curious what you guys (and gals) would do?
    Last edited by IllinoisCoyoteHunter; 03-29-2022 at 01:53 PM.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Grand Master

It wouldnt hurt to make a test run see how it does and go from there. If unacceptable you will have a couple samples to send back with it.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    You’re not being too picky, but it IS Lee,,,,,,

Shoot ‘em.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

I'm looking at the pictures as close as I can, and I can barely see anything at all. You are talking about the cavity closest to the handles, correct? Unless the pictures don't show it, yes, you are being too picky.

Frosted Boolits

Name:	055A5D07-CC9F-4C57-BB38-22FBBE3097F4.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	298296

The chatter is not superficial, it runs deep lol

You can really see how bad it is if you look at the loob groove

the BB knows

Boolit Grand Master

I’d be unhappy with the finish in that cavity.

I’d also be surprised if Lee does anything now that you’ve modified the mold.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Vendor Sponsor

Send that back! If Miha shipped junk that that to people he wouldn't stay in business. Too bad that Lee finds that acceptable

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

its a lee, if you want quality you need to expect to pay more than you pay for a lee. if you are not going to be doing bench rest competition, I would use it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Send it back. That's pretty poor workmanship even for a cheap moukd. I generally like Lee and have a lot of their equipment but I gave up on their molds long ago. I have gone to Accurate & NOE for not that much more money. You're not too picky.
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.

Boolit Master

I don’t know, agreed I do see lube grooves not right but….and no offense, you took a company’s brand new mold and promptly modified it. IMHO I wouldn’t think Lee would even consider taking it back.

Like I said no offense….

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

wow you bought it, had some other guy machine it, and now want to send it back to LEE for satisfaction ? Have I got that sequence right? I would ask you if you want Ranch or Blue cheese with that . harsh ...maybe, but you asked...

Boolit Grand Master

Again, it is hard to tell in a picture, but it just doesn't look that bad to me.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast a lot of good Bullets with Lee molds and like them. I wouldn’t be satisfied with that. If I altered the mold I would eat it though.
    Willie

Frosted Boolits

Yeah my email to Lee stated that I understand completely if I voided the warranty by removing the GC shank.

I’ve got a handful of NOE molds and use them for my high volume casting. Seems like a good time buy more for the stuff I don’t shoot a bunch of. Time to eliminate all the headaches.

the BB knows

I would have turned it back before modifying it, now you should probably eat it. I think that their explanation is pretty lame as well,

"You could return the mold, and we can mic the cavity, if it is under size we would replace it. Chatter on big bore tooling like that is typical, especially when the tooling is brand new. We have no guarantee on finish, but from photos it looks more than useable."

Chatter on sharp, brand new tooling? Only if you are running it improperly. "Useable?" Sure, I could carve out a "useable" slug with my pocket knife but it's not likey to make a good grouping. No, there is no excuse for putting out that kind of "quality" even at the cut rate price.

JMHO

-Ron
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    wow you bought it, had some other guy machine it, and now want to send it back to LEE for satisfaction ? Have I got that sequence right? I would ask you if you want Ranch or Blue cheese with that . harsh ...maybe, but you asked...
    I agree. If you were unsatisfied with the mold, I think you forfeited your opportunity to return it once you started modifying it. The cavity is worse than I would have wanted but I think you own it now. It would be above and beyond to ask Lee to step in now. Good news is it’s just a $30 2 cavity mold.
    Last edited by 6622729; 03-29-2022 at 06:16 AM.

Frosted Boolits

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMetal View Post
    I would have turned it back before modifying it, now you should probably eat it. I think that their explanation is pretty lame as well,

"You could return the mold, and we can mic the cavity, if it is under size we would replace it. Chatter on big bore tooling like that is typical, especially when the tooling is brand new. We have no guarantee on finish, but from photos it looks more than useable."

Chatter on sharp, brand new tooling? Only if you are running it improperly. "Useable?" Sure, I could carve out a "useable" slug with my pocket knife but it's not likey to make a good grouping. No, there is no excuse for putting out that kind of "quality" even at the cut rate price.

JMHO

-Ron
    My thoughts EXACTLY. As a machinist myself, it’s my job to troubleshoot issues like chatter. But then again, they probably got a bunch of button pushers that don’t have a clue about machining, hence the $30 price tag. I’m gonna eat it. Lesson learned. Lol

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy
    Out of curiosity. What is the mold #. I have one of their 41 caliber molds that has chatter on the nose radius. Shoots as good as I can.
    Bill

Frosted Boolits

It’s their .501 mold. I wouldn’t be worried about chatter on the nose radius either. This is chatter all along the bearing surfaces that unfortunately doesn’t “size out” when pushed though a sizer.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

IF you showed and told LEE Customer Service (CS) that you noticed the chatter AFTER you had their mold modified, and LEE CS in full knowledge agreed to take it back following the modification, THEN you're OK to send it back. Nothing wrong in asking, so long as in asking the truth is told.

I'm no Machinist. Still, I didn't like LEE CS's answer with regard to "new tool" chatter. It sounds kinda Used Car Saleman-ish...a "smarmy" CS answer for every fault.

You know how you presented the facts. You have the Return Form. As you decide, Go or No-Go for a return.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast