MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Parchment paper - a cook’s best friend

Boolit Master

Parchment paper - a cook’s best friend

I’ve been using it a lot the past five years for baking. Cookies, fish, frozen fries, pretty much any thing that goes in a baking pan and isn’t dripping wet. Carmel corn and sticky stuff that has to cool won’t stick to it either. We don’t use plastic wrap so on the rare occasion something goes in the microwave parchment paper will do for a temporary cover.
    Makes cleanup a breeze. I found Reynolds makes it in 12” wide rolls too for less waste. Just don’t put it in an oven over 420 F.
    Who says you can’t teach an old dog.

Boolit Bub
    Interesting that you brought that up now. Just pulled a roll of Reynolds brand out to try. Noticed the 425 degree rating. I need 450 degree for bread. Not sure if I should proceed. Is there a specific higher temperature type?

Boolit Buddy
    I love the parchment paper from Costco. It comes on big rolls to match our oversized baking trays and it comes in a two pack. Great stuff! I also like it for baking PC on my boolits

Moderator Emeritus

I buy the precut sheets and cut them in half for my use(cooking for 1).

I have used it at 450 and it was fine, got a bit browned on the edges... curled a bit...

I keep PP on hand, but it irks me to use something only once. So I bought suilicone mats from Matfer Bourgeat.

BTW, for folks who cook you really should know that name. Good stuff, good prices. They have an extensive catalog.

https://matferbourgeatusa.com/
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    I keep PP on hand, but it irks me to use something only once. So I bought suilicone mats from Matfer Bourgeat.
    We’ve tried the silicone mat thing. My Opinion is they work great, but the ones we tried difficult to get really clean. Lastly they came from China and I don’t trust that they don’t off-gas some weird chemical that would hasten my demise.

As to max temperature they are paper & generally paper ignites at 451 F.

Moderator Emeritus

Parchment lasts me a couple months(I am NOT a baker other than bread, and most of that is sandwich loaves) and I can slide it onto a cutting board and cut on it. I make my pizza crust on it and have subjected it to 550 degrees for 10 minutes! It gets a bit blackened on the edges but survives fine. It is all inside the area of my baking stone so nothing hanging off to be subjected to the super hot air coming up from the burner. It is soooo much easier to slide a pizza onto the stone when it is on parchment vs trying to get it off the peel with just flour under it.

I used some last night at 425 to roast potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic for supper. easy cleanup, fold paper up and throw it away! And I baked 2 frozen biscuits off to the side!

I don't think many average home cooks think about how versatile parchment paper is until someone shows them. We've used it for a lot of different things (most have already been mentioned) and always have some so we don't run out unexpectantly.

For the sci-fi readers - think "Farenheit 451"
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Parchment paper - a cook’s best friend...
    Yup, would Not be without it...Those who have not used it.... Need to!

Boolit Master
    I saw a camping recipe for baking simple bread in dutch oven in an open fire that said to put parchment paper in bottom of dutch oven first. keep thinking that it might just be real good stuff to make sometime