Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Shot my 2 #3's the other day, pleasant suprises on both.

Boolit Master

Shot my 2 #3's the other day, pleasant suprises on both.

I had traded for 2 #3's, a .223 and a 45/70 a few months ago, and had neglected them long enough. The .223 has a 4x12 Vortex on it, and despite the barrel band, it insisted on shooting cloverleafs with some 55gr and 69 gr BTHP's as well. Shot the 69 grs about 3" lower. I ended up zeroing it on the 69's, as I am transitioning all my .223's to that one bullet, which I have a lot of, and they give about 243 performance on critters, so much for Ruger#3's not shotting well with barrel bands. It did surprise me that the twist was correct on a older rifle to shoot the heavy slugs well.
    ifl
    The 45/70 had Ruger factory steel mounts, only ones I have ever seen on a #3, all the others had Weavers on them. It came with a pristine old Redfield 4x Widefield scope in the rings. The scope with the rings had been removed for shipping. I had mounted it back on, and tried some 350 gr cast with 14grs of Unique behind it, was wondering what the recoil would be like. I was worried over nothing, hold it tight and a light push was all I got. I had a4x6" red clanger at 100 yds, and my first shot off of bags, was dead center, maybe 1" high, the second one hit the edge of the first splatter, and the 3rd one was in the first splatter, easily a one inch group, to say I was ecstatic would be a understatement. Then I tried a few off hand, and went 3 for 3 off hand at 100 yds on the same clanger. This gun/load may be my new 150yd and in deer rifle. Again, so much for the barrel band affecting the accuracy. I went back thru my notes and every one of the #3;s I have shot, shot as good, or in most cases better than the #1;s I have owned and shot. It is my beleif that if you dont shoot long streams and get the barrel hot, the barrel band actually helps with accuracy. Just thought I would share.

Just in general, I think you're correct about the barrel band on the No.3 vs. none on the No.1. I can't vouch for later production, but back when they were first produced and for several years thereafter shooter's complained that the No.1 was inaccurate. The problem was boiled down to the way that the No.1's fore stock was or wasn't hung on the barrel, with the best solution being free floating. Depending on who was doing the accurizing work correcting the situation often involved a custom cantilever-like bracket to hang the fore stock onto the receiver to free the barrel up. I once had a No.3 in .30-40 that shot very well from the factory.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    ifl
    The 45/70 had Ruger factory steel mounts, only ones I have ever seen on a #3, all the others had Weavers on them. It came with a pristine old Redfield 4x Widefield scope in the rings. The scope with the rings had been removed for shipping. I had mounted it back on, and tried some 350 gr cast with 14grs of Unique behind it, was wondering what the recoil would be like. I was worried over nothing, hold it tight and a light push was all I got..
    My experience with a Number 3 in .45/70 is don't go loading 400 grain or heavier boolits in it with stiff chaarges of IMR3031. That light push becomes something different. And this from a guy who regularly hunted with a .338 Win. Mag, has owned two rifles in .458 Win. and one in .416 Remington. The little Number 3 is just too light. YMMV.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    I have a number 3 in .223 and with the lyman 44 grain 225438 and 4.5 grains of greendot it will shoot tiny groups at 25 yards. I would love to have one in 30/40 ..............................Curdog

Boolit Master
    Have two No 3's, both in 30/40 and scoped with Ruger bases and rings. Not MOA, more like 2 MOA but plenty accurate for steel plates and deer. With moderate power cast loads at 1500-1600 fps are a pleasure to shoot. Both have been restocked, one from a blank and the other with a No 1 buttstock, and both have recoil pads. The higher comb stocks make them much more comfortable with scopes as well as reducing felt recoil. The original stocks were, for me at least, brutal with full power loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    My experience with a Number 3 in .45/70 is don't go loading 400 grain or heavier boolits in it with stiff chaarges of IMR3031. That light push becomes something different. And this from a guy who regularly hunted with a .338 Win. Mag, has owned two rifles in .458 Win. and one in .416 Remington. The little Number 3 is just too light. YMMV.

Jim
    This is gospel!

I had two 22 Hornet #3 guns. Both had trashed barrels, both from getting wet and not being cleaned for over a year, two different owners. I saved one barrel, lands pitted down past the depth of the grooves. Might find a use for the old barrel one day.
    I converted one to a 7mm Rem Mag and found a new take off 22 Hornet barrel for the other. Both guns shoot sub 1/2 inch groups.

The 7 RM sports #1 forearm and #1 buttstock, #1 barrel with #1 action parts plus a cut lever, glass bedded forearm/hanger, free-floated barrel. I call it my #13.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

If you want really soft loads for the #3 look here:

https://www.castpics.net/subsite2/By...er%20Loads.pdf

The #3 in 45-70 with boomer loads is what sent me on the search of lighter loads. One or two shots with the full house loads was all I could stand for the day's shooting.

Still have a box or two on the shelf that should be disassembled.

I'm never going to shoot them and I don't think there is a single acquaintance that I would foist them off on. Well, maybe the one B-I-L in Florida that is subjecting his 93 year old father to classic elder abuse. Him I could do it to. And his husband.

Boolit Master

I've shot some upper end book loads out of my #3......Like the man said, satisfying. Two rounds and I was satisfied.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Sure was a nice guy you got those from��
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master

Congratulations on your success.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    HarryPope he is a helluva great guy, and good friend!

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    HarryPope he is a helluva great guy, and good friend!
    I'm thrilled they are treating you as well as they did me.i got on a Stevens 44-1/2 kick and they needed a good home.
    We have made good trades both ways.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0858.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	298831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0863.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	298832 targets shot at 100 yrds with the same loads in my #3 and#1, load is my hunting load with h-4198 and 300 gr hornady bullets. the load is pretty stiff, but not unbearable for hunting.

Boolit Master
    All of my deer have fallen to a #3 45-70 w/ Hornady 300g hollowpoints & 4198 from around Verona. I also have one in 30-40. Both are fine rifles.