Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much BP, do I PUT IN MY FLINTLOCK

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Sure, the steel the frizzen was made out of was not hard enough to make a spark. The flint would just dig gouges into it and roll steel off rather than throw sparks. I suspect there were several grades of these pistols made since some people say they shoot theirs successfully but others look like they are nothing more than decorations. But all say "Made in Japan" so I don't know if it was something that was improved over time or if they were purposely made that way.
    Have you tried to caseharden the frizzen to yield some good sparks? Brownells has Casenit...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Just dug the Tower Pistol out. The flint I have is 1/2” wide x 7/8” long and barely contacts the frizzen when trigger is pulled. Some of this may be because the flint leather has shrunk after so many years. Ordered a 7/8” x 1” to try. Here’s a pic of old flint.
    Attachment 301412

Pistol is a Hawes. Made in Japan. About 56-57 years old. Should have new flint and leather by Friday.

Added:
    I have a full 1 lb can of Goex 4f, 1980 date, smells and appears like new. And about 250 grains of 3f slightly older but same condition.
    Any opinions on using the 4f in a large caliber (.665”) smoothbore pistol?
    If you stay with smaller charges the 4 f will work, it will burn hotter and build more pressure than the larger granulated powders. I use it my cap and ball revolvers with no problems. Don't use a real tight patch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12