Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much BP, do I PUT IN MY FLINTLOCK

Boolit Master

how much BP, do I PUT IN MY FLINTLOCK

I have a reproduction JAPANESE 70, CAL., maby, 67CAL, smooth bore, that is what most shooters of them seem to say. flintlock TOWER SEA SERVICE PISTOL. what load is recommended in it? they were made back in the 60's - 70's.

Boolit Master

No advice but interested. Mine will accept a .665 RB. Also have you found replacement flints for yours and if so what size?

Boolit Bub
    A good starting rule of thumb for a black powder front stuffer LONG GUN is one grain per caliber. You can adjust up or down from there. A good starting rule of thumb for any black powder PISTOL is 1/2 grain per caliber. You can adjust up or down from there also. This is for traditional front stuffers I know nothing about those plastic and stainless steel in line contraptions....LK

Boolit Master
    Bmi48219, I use 3/4 in it and it sparkles great.

Boolit Master
    Longknife, thanking you for the great info. I ill heed your advice. so half in a 67 CAL would be 37 grs, or there about?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longknife View Post
    A good starting rule of thumb for a black powder front stuffer LONG GUN is one grain per caliber. You can adjust up or down from there. A good starting rule of thumb for any black powder PISTOL is 1/2 grain per caliber. You can adjust up or down from there also. This is for traditional front stuffers I know nothing about those plastic and stainless steel in line contraptions....LK
    Good point. I just bought a .36 caliber pistol. The manual suggests 15 grains as a starting place, but no more than 25 grains. I've not yet fired it, but my plan is to start with 15 grains of FFF.

Boolit Master
    Dixie Gun Works shows .67 cal Tower flint pistol, .650 RB and 35 FFF

Japan made pistols came in .69-.68.67 cal
    Last edited by jim 44-40; 03-26-2022 at 08:32 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    thanks toot. Now I just need to find a replacement for the brass ramrod that didn’t come home with the pistol.

Boolit Master
    I had a friend turn one out of round stock on a lathe for me. also seen them made on a drill press with files, worked fine. and I tried half inch flints and they were too small. so 3/4 inch was the ticket. let me know how you make out. I have had a great time shooting bird shot out of it. powder paper wadding # 9 shot 1 ounce,paper wadding and go for it!!

Boolit Master

Mine was a Xmas gift from my dad 57 years ago. Used to load it with bird shot, #4 buck. Had the bore miked and bought a Lyman RB mold about 45 years back, cast a bunch of RBs then. Still can’t figure out what happened to the original ramrod. As far as I recall the business end was about .5” diameter and slightly concave. Going to have to determine diameter and length of the rod so it will fit in rod holder.

Boolit Master
    unreal what they are fetching these days, when back in the 60's & 70's they were selling for $49.00! who would have ever thought?

Boolit Master
    5 inch is a rely big diameter for the loading end, mine is a 1/2 inch in diameter and 7 to 8 inches long. even a BLUNDERBUSS ram rod isn't that diameter. it is flat on the end and is trumpet shaped, and about 3/16 of an inch in diameter for the rod part. hope this helps?

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

5 inch is a rely big diameter for the loading end, mine is a 1/2 inch in diameter and 7 to 8 inches long. even a BLUNDERBUSS ram rod isn't that diameter. it is flat on the end and is trumpet shaped, and about 3/16 of an inch in diameter for the rod part. hope this helps?
    As in post #10, mine was about .5 inch too. And trumpet shaped. I have some 3/16” dowel, going to check and see if it will fit in the rod holder. I thought about having someone with a lathe turn one for me out of 1/2” brass rod. The finished ramrod will cost more than the pistol. Mine was my Christmas gift when I was 12. Knowing my Dad it didn’t cost anywhere near $49.00. No front or rear sight on it. I did take a button buck with it in 1985. Seven yard shot, 30 grains FFF and a patched .665 RB. To this day I don’t know which of us was more shocked when it hit.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve always heard of the one grain per caliber rule, but never tried it. I always went by what others were doing.

I'm surprised the one you have will spark. Of the dozen or so I have seen they were all made out of some sort of soft putty and didn't work at all. And I agree, 1/2 grain per caliber is plenty for pistols.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I'm surprised the one you have will spark. Of the dozen or so I have seen they were all made out of some sort of soft putty and didn't work at all.
    Nobade,
    Could you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Nobade,
    Could you elaborate?
    Sure, the steel the frizzen was made out of was not hard enough to make a spark. The flint would just dig gouges into it and roll steel off rather than throw sparks. I suspect there were several grades of these pistols made since some people say they shoot theirs successfully but others look like they are nothing more than decorations. But all say "Made in Japan" so I don't know if it was something that was improved over time or if they were purposely made that way.

Boolit Master

Thanks Nobade.

Boolit Master

Just dug the Tower Pistol out. The flint I have is 1/2” wide x 7/8” long and barely contacts the frizzen when trigger is pulled. Some of this may be because the flint leather has shrunk after so many years. Ordered a 7/8” x 1” to try. Here’s a pic of old flint.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACDE309B-7744-4541-B557-B439EA920280.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	301412

Pistol is a Hawes. Made in Japan. About 56-57 years old. Should have new flint and leather by Friday.

Added:
    I have a full 1 lb can of Goex 4f, 1980 date, smells and appears like new. And about 250 grains of 3f slightly older but same condition.
    Any opinions on using the 4f in a large caliber (.665”) smoothbore pistol?
    Last edited by Bmi48219; 06-20-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast