Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: TC 56 Smooth Bore Direction

Boolit Master

TC 56 Smooth Bore Direction

I ended up with one that is very presentable on exterior, inside imagine one of the worst bores you have ever seen. Thinking the .62 option but there is one crater just inside the muzzle that might be a little past the .030" on that side. If it does not clean at .62 would anybody know the REAL do not exceed safe bore dimension on these TC's? I understand lining is an option which that sends me down many other rabbit holes. I have several new in box fast twist 50 Apollo barrels that could be used for liner donors, buy a liner, barrel length kind of short for slow RB twist in my head but a 25" cannon ball size SB might be a fun stroll and could always line later if no joy found. I have seen several names on here suggested for the services required, any recommendations at this time? Always enjoy the honest thoughts and replies Fellers!

Bobby Hoyt out of Pennsylvania seems to be the go-to guy for lining, boring and re-barreling. I have never used him but everyone here who has posted about him has good things to say.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master
    If the most offending location is at the muzzle, you could always shorten the barrel. If the rest of it is that far gone, a re-bore is a good answer. Best to shoot it first and see what you have.

Smoothies can be very forgiving, so I would respectfully suggest shooting that puppy before judging it............

Alternately, E-Bay has a couple of .56SB barrels F/S, that would likely be less expensive than a re-bore.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30440600451...0AAOSwWNliN5fi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25544835421...cAAOSwTHNiOPS5

Last edited by pietro; 03-26-2022 at 10:38 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Following as I have a .56 barrel that is unfired. I love the smoothies!!

Boolit Master

I haven’t shot my .56 SB in a long time and I wasn’t much of a good shot back then.
    I could keep it on a pie plate off hand at 75 yards which was fine for my intended white tail gun.
    The bore was pretty bad on this one too.
    It might shoot ok for you as is.

I’ve toyed with the idea of reboring mine so I can’t what to see what everyone says.

Either that or sell it off and get a Kibler SMR kit.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'd buy another barrel. They aren't that rare and a lot of people wanted a rifled barrel and have no real use for their smoothie anymore. I do love my smoothie. It's a lot of fun to shoot, and easy to load and clean! Happy shooting!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I did have Hoyt bore my .56 SB out to .61 cal with slow twist deep rifling.
    I shoot a .60 patched lead ball with 80 gr of 2f.
    I have only shot it out to 100 yards so far, but I am very happy the way it shoots.

Boolit Master
    I would have a hard time even loading it I believe. There are corn flakes down in there not to mention the pitting up front. The flash channel is a blob and after two days the Kroil finally crept through out nipple. I think my next move is going to attempt removing breech and then maybe lay into it with red Scotchbrite on an old shotgun rod and a Dewalt and see what appears. Worst case the rib, thimbles and breech plug are worth more than I am into it for. Just never played smooth bore before and thought throwing cannon balls would be a hoot!

Boolit Master
    I have used a Automotive Brake Cylinder Hone on smooth bore barrels to remove putting in the bore.
    They make the multi ball hones in various sizes, and I used a drill extension rod wrapped in electrical tape to do the honing.
    With a heavy barrel like the ML barrels , you don't have to worry about thinning out the barrel too much.
    They also make Shotgun barrel hones that will work too.
    .56 cal is almost 28 ga