Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Wesson & Harrington 1871 38-55

Boolit Buddy

Wesson & Harrington 1871 38-55

I have owned this gun for roughly ten years and never shot it! Didn't like the factory rear sight which is just a William's WGRS peep which is not very friendly to field adjustments. Front sight is a Lyman 17A with a circle insert (only came with the single insert). Just by chance I happened across an old listing of William's FP sights which showed that at one time they made an FP type to fit the H&R rifles (which is all this model is) using the 2 rear scope mount holes in the top of the barrel just like the WGRS. Started an internet search and discovered that this sight is now either discontinued or is in permanent backorder mode, take your pick. By sheer luck, found a stocking dealer in Ontario, Canada that had two of these on the shelf with the desired TK adjustment knobs included. The wonders of the internet!!! Problem was, shipping to NH was nearly $70!!! So, making an executive decision I bought them both. Have installed the first one on the 38-55 and now, maybe I am ready to try it out. Have some Lee cast lead 250 grain bullets which are as cast about 0.379" over light loads of 4759. Will be interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W&H a 38-55 032522.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	298175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W&H b 032522.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	298176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W&H c 032522.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	298177

Boolit Master
    I like it alot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I also bought one a few year ago, and have not fired it either. Someone replaced the rear sight with one from a rolling block rifle. Your new sight looks like it would work much better.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have the same rifle and sight. The sight is vastly improved over what came with the rifle. I think I had to change the front sight also. Sorry, I don’t remember if I had to put a higher or lower one on. My guess is a taller front sight since the Williams sight is taller than the H&R.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one of those rifles and loved it. Had to sell it, as sometimes occurs.

If it shoots and has a decent bore, should make a nice spruce up project for BP shoots.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Man
    I wanted one of those when they came out but never got one. It seemed as though it would be more fun than the 45-70. I have a couple Williams air gun sights that look quite similar. Nice gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Had never slugged the bore on this one; did so today. 0.380" grooves, 0.373-4" bore and the chamber is roughly 2.2" deep with a diameter of 0.399" at the case mouth. Just used 0.410" lead balls to check.

They take the Starline long 38-55 cases. Loaded with a .380" bullet the cartridge will not chamber. People familiar with modern hard bullets and smokeless powder like to open up the chamber with an oversize reamer. However, it is chambered perfectly to use bore diameter paper patched bullets and black powder. Loaded that way, mine shoots incredibly well. It has a 1:18 twist and will stabilize a 280 grain bullet, not much heavier. You might get away with a 300 if it has a fairly blunt nose.

Boolit Master

I have one and I shoot the lee 250gr bullet over 9.0 gr of Unique. It is a fun little rifle for shooting steel at 50 yards. My grandson is the ammo unloader when I bring this one out to shoot, he provides me with plenty brass to reload.

wcp

Boolit Buddy
    Have factory ammo and brass from Winchester & Imperial (Canadian) that is the older long case length. Also have newer brass from Winchester that is the short current production. We will see which works best. May even try some 375 Winchester just to see.

Boolit Mold
    Mine works exceedingly well using Starline brass and the Lyman375449 boolit. quite pleasant and accurate to shoot.