Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: feral hogs

Boolit Buddy
    Trw45 if you do come up with a load for 219 zipper I would be interested in bullet and powder. If you wanted to give me the charge I would work with it. I have a 1959 produced Marlin and I have never got it to shoot as well with handloads as it does with remington factories ammo.
    Steve

Coming home last night, a large hog strolled across the gas well road in front of my truck. By the time I backed up and dug out my rifle, it was gone. My rifle was a Nylon 66 and I have no doubt that it would have worked - it always has at close range.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Last night I watched a Texas hog hunt program "Where to shoot a Hog". They ended the night with about 180 hogs. Thermal scopes and semi-auto 308's. I do think they were a company as they had very good "tools" and commo.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Was also stated Texas has an abundance hogs....
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Lat spring I went to Texas for a hog hunt and didn't see but 1 dead one. Rather disappointed. Good thing it was free.

Oklahoma has it's fair share of feral hogs. Some kill them and use the meat, some won't touch one with a 10 foot pole. Either way, shooting a hog is shooting a hog, domestic or feral. One thing I have witnessed first hand, hogs can do massive destruction to land and crops in short order if they go unchecked. One local farmer lost 200 acres of corn in a weeks time to a herd of them. Destructive, or dangerous animals gone unchecked I have no problem shooting on site.

As for caliber choices, it's the shooters choice. I've killed them with .22 LR's behind ear from 35-50 yards (a quick death). And, I've seen them killed with plain 5.56 ball ammunition. Exotic calibers aren't needed for all intent and purpose when it comes to dropping feral hogs. Just do your best to ensure a clean kill quickly as possible. And, if you have the latest and greatest cartridge and are looking to find out just how good it is? I can't think of a better way to find out than to try it on a feral hog. Happy hunting and good luck.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

I would be very happy to pop one at 30 yards with our 450 Bushmaster.

Boolit Master
    I think a Russian bore may be harder to kill than a feral domestic hog. I know there are some Russian that have gotten out of hunting preserves and mixed. I have not hunted feral but raised on farming I have see hogs take a lot of lead before they died. Seen a 500-600 pound bore get out that became POed and put a young man on a cane the rest of his life. He had 7-8 .30-06 bullets in and through him before he dropped.

My ranch is in Texas and they’re like rats!

I shoot them with 6.8 ARP in a AR-15 platform. Deadly.

Recently I’ve been shooting them with my cast boolits; Lee 170-TC in a 10mm carbine. Shot two boars and a coyote this past weekend. One out to 120 yards, DRT.

I’ve also gotten in to Muzzleloading and shot a good size boar with a 50cal Hornady pill.

Some boys on the place use 223/55.6 until they learned their lessons. Lots of tracking with little return. Some of the higher caliber cartridges just ‘bore’ a hole right through them and they run and run if you don’t bit CNS. The 6.8 is a super killer on hogs. My largest with it was 353lbs. I’d personally stay away from 223 caliber unless they are within 30 yards and all head shots can be made.

Banned Previous Member: Bunk Theory / DonDiego / Nikonuser
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeMan View Post
    *Grins in M240B*
    as long as someone else cleans it

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When the Mini 14 came out in .223, they became very popular with Alaskan natives around where I lived. They preferred them to 30.30s they where mostly using before. A lot of moose fell to .223 rounds, all thirty that were in the magazine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    7.62 NATO......better than American Express, accepted worldwide, never leave home without it......
    I like the way you think.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Murph, lets say you kill a half dozen or so. if you do not want the meat, how do you deal with them?
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Cosmic Charlie, on our deer lease and on our farm, we drag them to the dead animal boneyard and let the buzzards and the rest of nature's clean up crew have at them.
    To naysayers- they are destructive varmints- not GAME animals. I have eaten a few but anymore I don't bother with it.
    I'm not speaking for Murph, but I feel he's simpatico with my view.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Texas by god, let me know if you need any help! i will respect any and all rules you set forth. I prefer stalking and ambushing them, 30-30 is my preferred weapon for that, although I have a 358 win that I want to try it with. It is a single shot, but i can pop off several rounds quick if i have them in my trigger hand. I learned that when dove hunting with a single shot 20 gauge growing up! As far as pigs, anyone that fits in a 5 gallon bucket is eating size. Bigger than that, I would need to be pretty hungry!

Boolit Master
    The carcasses don’t last long here - the buzzards and caracara eagles are large, and the coyotes are numerous. I have seen large hogs disappear within a week or two, depending on the weather.

Boolit Master
    That makes sense if you have the space. Got no issues with killing them and feeding the vultures. Be a good way to see if your ready to go handgun hunting.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Vendor Sponsor

dead hogs make great coyote bait
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

And dead yotes are good crow bait.

Vendor Sponsor

and crows make good lead traps..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast