WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: feral hogs

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Murph, lets say you kill a half dozen or so. if you do not want the meat, how do you deal with them?
    Leave em' right where they die if the land owner has no objection to it. Buzzards gotta eat to.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Banner Sponsor

The hogs I hunt in Southern Arkansas must have a different diet than the Texas hogs.
    The ones here are very tasty.
    One of the guys in camp knifed a 300+ boar and had the whole thing ground into breakfast sausage. We had some at camp, it was pretty good.

My nephew has killed quite a few hogs with his AR in 5.56. The last week of deer season him and his buddy were driving down to the stand and came upon a sounder of pigs.They jumped out of the truck and my nephew took a shot at a running pig with his AR and missed. They had a huge boar turn and run at them. His buddy has an AR10 in 308. Running right at him it took 3 shots with the AR10 to put it down. Dropped 10 feet away from them. .223 5.56 is enough until it isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    The hogs I hunt in Southern Arkansas must have a different diet than the Texas hogs.
    The ones here are very tasty.
    One of the guys in camp knifed a 300+ boar and had the whole thing ground into breakfast sausage. We had some at camp, it was pretty good.
    I believe it depends on their diet. I've killed some here in Texas that are good eating but others were nasty. If you are around San Antonio or points south and east in the farmland areas, there is a good chance they will be fine. Go out west and the story may be different.

The red ones taste better.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Many years ago when I lived in central Fl. We killed several pigs that would come out of the swamps right before sunset & work the pastures. I'm quite sure they had a mixed diet too but don't recall a single one that was bad except an old boar a fellow shot, & it had been fighting & he was full of infection. I always went for the 100-150 Lb pigs. Never got a bad one.

3 shots with the AR10 to put it down Uh, learn to shoot? Even in an emergency.
    Whatever!

The little ones here aren't bad to eat. Most of the big ones you can smell 30 yds before you get to the carcass

Boolit Master
    I know wild pigs or hogs are & can be destructive, But I would like some in my neck of the woods so the neighbors would need me to remove a few!!

Boolit Buddy
    you really dont.

Boolit Master
    We had a very few around here, & the hillbilly nature of man here depleted them quickly. Some people complained but wouldn't let anyone on their land but relatives. Never have seen any on my farm or the neighbors farms that I hunt. Most were spotted down by the Powell River & I live on the mountain.

Boolit Master
    I prefer the US Rifle Cal. 30 M1. If it was good for killing fascists and communist it is good for killing hogs.
    Sure is. No offense intended to the hogs.

Boolit Master
    I live in a neighborhood on the edge of town; last week the hogs wandered into a neighbor’s yard around the corner and tore the yard up quite handily. The elderly couple really didn’t need the damage, for sure. I was puzzled that the local dog’s didn’t have a barking fit but their contract may state that they are off duty after 2:00 am.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunseller View Post
    I like the idea of using a pig on a pig. You can mow the grass with a 60.
    Steve
    +1!

Hogs seriously arnt that hard to kill,don't need a cannon just get something that put the bullet where you want it every time and go for CNS shots. Shooting them like deer is asking for problems IMO
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Hogs seriously arnt that hard to kill,don't need a cannon just get something that put the bullet where you want it every time and go for CNS shots. Shooting them like deer is asking for problems IMO
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

(In 223/5.56) Try the 62gr full metal jacket; ear shot, or even near the ear will drop em' DRT.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123