Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best option for .44 mag?

Boolit Buddy
    My vote would be the Winchester. I had a newer Henry- terribly sloppy on the fore end. Ended up putting a piece of plastic between the magazine tube and the wood. Most of the Marlins are either fantastic, or the best single-shot jam/meant to be a repeater that ever was. The achille's heel of the Winchester 94 was the interrupter, mine needed some TIG work to get it workable so it wouldn't empty the entire tube on the first lever. But a first-class shooter with cast for sure. It was the legacy model, long barrel. The other one I had was a trapper model, it was neat but just not as lovable as my 30-30 with NO safety outside of the one between our ears. Be mindful of the micro-groove vs Ballard style rifling, and twist rate if you want to run the heavies. Good luck on your search!

It may be worth noting that Marlin is supposed to be making the 1894 again, one in an SBL setup would be sweet! But no definite completion time that I am aware of. Heck, the 1895 is still next to impossible to find, without sacrificing appendages for it.

Boolit Bub
    CVA builds a quality single shot 44 MAG named the Scout model. It's made in Spain.

Boolit Buddy
    I just handled a new jap Winchester deluxe 92 case hardened 24” in 44 mag 26 twist I believe. It hasn’t been to the range yet but checked all the boxes for current manufacture except for the tang safety. They changed the butt plate this year so it doesn’t look quite right for a 92 but it’s definitely the Winchester look. Keith bullets sized .430 would not chamber crimped into the crimp groove.

Boolit Grand Master

So far every jap rifle we have owned has tight chambers and groove diameters all near minimum.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12