Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Turkey choke

Turkey choke

I have killed a half dozen turkeys with a bow or cross bow. Thought I might try shotgun this year. Gun is 870 12 guage with screw in chokes. I have a full choke tube. Is a turkey choke tube worth the extra cost? They seem really spendy.

Any suggestions on shot size also appreciated.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Full choke is fine. I have always used a 12 gauge with BB's or #2 shot (lead not steel) and aim at the junction of the neck to the body. Never had one escape that kind of hail...

Boolit Master
    Shot size is restricted in some states. Looks like #4 is the largest allowed in Illinois
    Shotgun (20 gauge to 10 gauge only, no .410 or .28 gauge
    allowed); overall minimum length is 26 inches. Minimum barrel
    length is 18 inches; # 4 shot is the largest shot that may be legally used or possessed while turkey hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    I used a xtra full choke for years. It did improve the pattern density at longer ranges. Killed one at 63 steps using Remington 3” Nitro mag #4.

Boolit Grand Master

Will a standard full choke perform decent? Yes. Will an even tighter "turkey choke" tighten your pattern? Yes.

It is almost impossible to over choke smaller bird shot. There is definitely a point of zero gains. This is assuming you are shooting lead shot. I would suggest the Carlsons #19583, which is an extended .660" choke. I can't help with factory loads, as I haven't tested factory turkey loads in forever. I've been reloading my own, and lately I've only been hunting with a muzzleloader. If you are trying to extend your range, you definitely want a slow and buffered load. Some people like #4, but I have never been happy with it. I personally wouldn't bother with it. Some guns do pattern quite a bit tighter with #5, and can sometimes put more pellets on target, despite having less pellets in the load. Generally #6 is the best size. The skull and neck of a turkey is nothing, and a #6 will break it at 45 yards, which is generally the point you run out of pattern. Patterning for turkeys is very simple. Your maximum range is the point which you can put 100 pellets inside of a 10" circle. I like to test 3 times to verify. Again, I wouldn't mess with any kind of high velocity load. The slower the better.

And if you are looking to go to another shot like TSS, then throw all that out the window.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Make sure to pattern your gun with the load and choke. That will tell you how far you can still confidently down a bird. I patterned 2 of my berettas the other day. The best pattern was with high velocity #5 Remingtons and a tight wad .650 choke. At 40 yards I had 39 pellets in my turkey head target. My 1874 Charles Daly 10 gauge SxS I loaded with 100 grains of FG and #6’s last year put around 21 at the same distance of I remember and almost double the count at 25 yards.That was with the left barrel that I’m guessing was a full choked. I dropped a double bearded Tom last year at 25 yards last spring and did a post in it here. Megasupermagnum helped me with the load. Dropped like Thor’s hammer hit it. What ever choke you use make sure rod pattern it. I’d like to buy a Kicks .660 for my berettas but always end using the .650 tite wad or Carlsons .665 that I picked up in the long gone Cabelas bargain bin for a couple bucks each. One of them always patterns good enough. I
    If it were me I’d try to find a turkey choke around the .660 constriction for it.

Found this full strut decoy at goodwill yesterday missing it’s stake for $4.75! I got out my magic markers and gave it 5 minutes of love. Can’t wait to try it!

Before…

After….

I will set him up next to my DSD decoys.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-24-2022 at 07:41 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I load my own and shoot a 10 ga pump
    I believe ,if memory serves, that I us either #4 or #5 Hevi shot
    my longest kill was 63 yds and have had a few at 30-45 yds
    I load them heavy with 2 1/4 oz's
    turkey choke tubes do make a difference I have a Carlsons for my 12 and
    a extended wad wizard for the 10 ga
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I traded my old patternmaster choke for code black last year. That choke out of my Browning Gold Turkey Federation 10 gauge a federal 2 oz number 5’s and hand loaded 2 1/4 oz number 6’s are ridiculously tight. I had some parts brake on it last year so I had to hang the Gold up and play with my other shotgunguns.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-24-2022 at 07:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Test load and choke. I have seen tight chokes with large shot have a more open pattern than more open chokes produce. Sights not just the bead of some tipe always help.

Boolit Master

3 inch 20 gauge 500 Mossburg did the job with turkey choke and #4 lead shot for the grand kids.

I went to the range today to try out a few boxes of 12 gauge 3”, #4, 1 7/8oz Remington loads I picked up at Walmart today along with my 10 gauge. I tried a mad max .650, a tite wad .655, and a carlsons .665 choke in both berettas. All the patterns were horrible at 40 yards IMO. I tried my 10 gauge with the code black turkey choke at 40 yards. I used a hand load of 2 oz of #6 nickel plated BPI shot. My target looked like a window screen. Didn’t do a pellet count but it looked like it had 3 to 4 times the pellet count VS my best 3” 12 gauge pattern. I also tried Winchester 2 oz number #5’s which were almost as good. You will never know how well it does or doesn’t shoot till you patten your gun. Looks like the “Browning Sherman tank” is getting toted into the woods with me this season.

A fabricated a stake from a few old ones I had laying around from old decoys I tossed out years ago.

He should look good sitting next to my DSDs
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-25-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Boolit Man
    Do yourself a favor and use some camo to make a 10'-12' netting about 3' or so tall. Add some stakes every 3' to hold it up. This will allow you to move around behind it undetected. I set mine in a "C" shape to cover toms coming in from either side. I've set this up in front of a fence running through a wide-open grassy field and the gobblers were not bothered by it as they concentrated on my decoys, making for 25-yard shots.