Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lefever 12 ga SxS

Boolit Master

Lefever 12 ga SxS

I recently bought a hammerless Lefever 12 ga SxS. 30" barrels. Patent dates: 1872, 78, 80, 85, 86, 87. Grade G. Ser#46550
    Marked "Lefever Arms Co."(not Ithica, NY)
    I know little about old shotguns. How can I tell if the barrels are choked? There are no barrel markings.
    I saw a brief remark online about the different adjustments that can be made to this shotgun, but no description on what they might be.
    The shotgun really is in great shape. Even the screws aren't buggered, no rust, dents, etc. Everything works as it should. I have to determine the chamber length.
    I plan on shooting it, using black powder only.
    Any info on the chokes, loads or whatever would be great.

You can get a simple gauge that will tell you the gauge and choke for a shotgun. Sorta a wedge looking thing and pretty inexpensive. Have the chamber length checked out. It’s likely 2 1/2”. One adjustment is the small screw at the rear of the lock plates that adjusts the sear engagement. I know because when I got a Lefever one lock would not cock. Someone had turned the screw probably in a misguided attempt to remove the lock plate. Only the large screw holds the lock plates. When cocked there is a small pin the protrudes out a little bit on the lock. It’s a cocking indicator. NOT a pin that is loose and needs whacking. Very fine old double.

The choke(s) can be determined via measuring them @ the muzzle (unless the barrels have been cut shorter)

Here are the standard 12ga choke measurements: https://waterfowlchoke.com/12-gauge-choke-size-chart/
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Both muzzles measure .685" which means full choke, according to the chart. I used digital calipers, and any measurements that I took weren't close to the .695" Improved Modified. All measurements were right around, or exactly, .685".
    The cocking indicators pop out on either side as they should.
    I thought the barrels might be Damacus steel but I don't see any patterns at all. I have an antique British double barrel muzzle loading 10 ga and the Damacus pattern is very obvious. Is there any other way to determine if they're Damacus without going by the patterns?

I’m guessing but if you’re not seeing a pattern in the steel it’s most likely not damascus.
    From serial no appears to be 1903 Mfg.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice score!
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Nice score!
    For sure. Show us some picture.

Boolit Master
    Pics. It really is in great shape. It's a Grade G - not the best grade, but not quite the lowest. Apparently the steel and mechanics are the same in each grade.
    I don't think it's Damascus steel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefever1.jpg   Lefever2.jpg   Lefever4.jpg   Lefever5.jpg   Lefever3.jpg  

Very nice. I believe I see damascus pattern in the top pic of the barrels. In protected area next to the rib.

That would knock pheasants out of the sky just fine- and probably has. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It does look like Damascus sometimes, but I'm not sure. Still should be OK to shoot with BP either way.
    I tried trap with my British DB 10 ga muzzle loader, but the shot pattern went right around the birds like a doughnut. I choked the muzzle loader with more shot, less powder, and less shot, more powder. Nothing worked but it was cool to shoot.
    I used to see pheasants around here when I was a kid, but not so much anymore. Maybe the Pilgrims got them all.
    My son used to hunt pheasants when he was in ND - plenty out there.

AFAIK, 1903 Lefever Arms production barrels would have been fluid steel, not damascus - but some makers were offering damascus for special orders from those old-timers (at the time) who didn't trust the (then new-fangled) fluid steel barrels.

Boolit Buddy

G grades were most likely fitted w/ Damascus Bbls. But were sometimes found w/ Royal steel Bbls. From what I can see they look to be Damascus, probably blued/browned over.

Boolit Master
    Under a magnifier, I can see a pattern in the metal. It looks like a floral pattern, or even fingerprints. What would a "full compensated action" be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefever6.jpg  
    Last edited by Battis; 09-11-2023 at 12:05 AM.

Lefever's compensating features were designed to automatically take up wear on any point of contact within the action.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Lefever's compensating features were designed to automatically take up wear on any point of contact within the action.

Yes and no, they weren't all "automatic"...one of the best features of the old Lefever shotguns was that they were made with an adjustable hinge. If the gun ever wears to the point that it is "off face", that is to say the barrels are loose to the receiver when the gun is closed, you could simply take it apart and tighten the large screw in the front of the receiver and "presto!!!" the hinge is tight again and the gun is ready to safely shoot. Not a lot of people know about this important feature. It is ingenious and only found on Lefever shotguns {except of course the Nitro Special, which was Lefever in name only}.

Boolit Bub
    OK msinc, what do you mean when you say a 'Nitro Special' Lefever barrel is Lefever in name only?

Boolit Master
    Yup I'd like to know too, mine is a Nitro Special (was my Dads) Ed

Boolit Master
    Ithaca bought Lefever and used "Lefever Nitro Special " on their lowest priced gun capitalizing on Lefever's name/reputation. It had a cast steel frame instead of forged and had few options. Good guns but priced for the average guy.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Mold
    I have 2 nitro specials that I enjoy a lot. On ewas my dads and the other is a 20g I picked up. Lefever went through lots of changes in ownership over the years. Ithaca was the last to purchase Lefever. They introduced the Nitro Special in 1924 I think...the NID took a lot of its design from the nitro special. It’s a great shotgun. Built like a tank.

I also have a 1903 Lefever which is also a great gun made to a different level.