Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Aa #9

Boolit Bub

Aa #9

I have found myself with a good amount of this powder using it as a schuetzen load. Wondering if any of you folks have been using it as a cast bullet load for 30-06 or 308 win. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I'm currently using aa9 for cast bullets in my. 308 target rifle. Bullets are the Lee 150gr flat nose and 200gr. Best accuracy, about 0.8 moa, for either bullet is at around 1950 to 2100 fps. No difference with either standard or magnum rifle primer seen on the target but the magnums give slightly lower velocity spread, 19 fps as opposed to 48fps. Starting loads at 18 gr. Be very careful to check for double charges! This powder takes up very little room in the case.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

four clicks, I've used it and liked it. If you search the site for WC 820, you'll find plenty of information.

I've shot quite a few 150-170 gr cast boolits in 30-30win using AA#7, but never considered trying AA#9 in the 30-30 .... I wouldn't even know where to start. I started re-loading a bit late in life (2011) when most Alliant powders were getting pretty scarce at the time (like now) but, fortunately got introduced to the AA powders. Been a fan since.

jd

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I've shot quite a few 150-170 gr cast boolits in 30-30win using AA#7, but never considered trying AA#9 in the 30-30 .... I wouldn't even know where to start. I started re-loading a bit late in life (2011) when most Alliant powders were getting pretty scarce at the time (like now) but, fortunately got introduced to the AA powders. Been a fan since.

jd
    Start at about 14.5 gr in the 30 WCF and check your accuracy at 15 gr.
    Works great in 357, 10 mm, 44 mag with heavy for caliber bullets.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Start at about 14.5 gr in the 30 WCF and check your accuracy at 15 gr.
    Works great in 357, 10 mm, 44 mag with heavy for caliber bullets.
    Thanks for the tip. AA#9 is my go-to favorite in .357mag and .44mag so I always have a good supply. The other AA "pistol powders", #2, #5 and #7 are also kept in good supply. I didn't get into the cast boolits in the 30-30 until 2018, but have been hooked ever since, particularly with pistol powders. When I finally found out about AA#7 with the 150-170 gr 30-30 boolits, I was definitely hooked. Averaging 1700 fps with 14.5 gr of AA#7 has seemed to hit the accuracy node in my 336, and definitely pleasant to shoot.

So, what you're suggesting for AA#9 in the 30-30 (start at 14.5 gr) is about where I'm at (actually same 14.5 gr) with the #7. I will definitely load up a few and give them a try in the next week or so.

Thanks

jd

Hmmm... AA#9 is one of my favorite magnum pistol powders. I had never thought of using it in rifles but this thread has my interest now. Just might give it a try in 303 British and 30-40 Krag.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    Thanks for the tip. AA#9 is my go-to favorite in .357mag and .44mag so I always have a good supply. The other AA "pistol powders", #2, #5 and #7 are also kept in good supply. I didn't get into the cast boolits in the 30-30 until 2018, but have been hooked ever since, particularly with pistol powders. When I finally found out about AA#7 with the 150-170 gr 30-30 boolits, I was definitely hooked. Averaging 1700 fps with 14.5 gr of AA#7 has seemed to hit the accuracy node in my 336, and definitely pleasant to shoot.

So, what you're suggesting for AA#9 in the 30-30 (start at 14.5 gr) is about where I'm at (actually same 14.5 gr) with the #7. I will definitely load up a few and give them a try in the next week or so.

Thanks

jd
    15 gr should be close to 1550 fps depending on chamber wear and bbl length.

Boolit Master
    I've a2 lb container I won in a raffle decades ago, need to break it out and try in some heavy bullet handgun cases.

Moderator Emeritus

As far as handguns I find it works best with heavy for caliber bullets and a medium to heavy crimp.