MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Horn 89

Boolit Master
    It would seem that a stiff spring on the cartridge stop would be required on straight walled cartridges to help solve the double feed problem. Maybe consideration to bullet shape would also be helpful. Since JMB designed the 92 action for bottle neck cartridges I feel that they probably function better although the manufactures seem to make straight walled cartridges work very well in 92 actions.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    It would seem that a stiff spring on the cartridge stop would be required on straight walled cartridges to help solve the double feed problem. Maybe consideration to bullet shape would also be helpful. Since JMB designed the 92 action for bottle neck cartridges I feel that they probably function better although the manufactures seem to make straight walled cartridges work very well in 92 actions.
    My thoughts too, and a WFN bullet coupled with the small 45 Colt rim on the 454 and 460 doesn’t help. Still Rossi seem to get it done at less than a third the price. Granted they aren’t as nice as the Big Horn, but they apparently work.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats on ordering the new gun. I've heard great things about them from a couple people I know that own them. Really like the idea of 500 s&w or 454 casull from a lever gun. I hope to add one to my collection someday!

Boolit Bub
    Another phone call ignored. It appears there is no warranty, none is indicated at their website. I’ll have a welder TIG the surface and then surface grind to fix. Pathetic really on a $3k rifle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 97F6C0C9-268A-4BB3-9036-653361AF81BB.jpg  
    Matt

Boolit Master
    Sorry to say but the owner is a class AAA douche. Had some decent people working there but they all quit......
    This rifle was my idea, I built the prototypes and stayed as long as I could. Another company picked me up and was going to build my rifle but obviously didn’t. The whole mess has been a headache in our lives. Thank God I have the best woman in this planet to stand beside me and insure I didn’t crack.

Shot one of mine yesterday, smacking a two hundred yard rock repeatedly. Recovered two 400 grain Hornady bullets nicely expanded from misses. Shot some cast as well. Lots of fun I had.
    Pm your issues with your rifle, I may be able to help fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by frank505 View Post
    Sorry to say but the owner is a class AAA douche. Had some decent people working there but they all quit......
    This rifle was my idea, I built the prototypes and stayed as long as I could. Another company picked me up and was going to build my rifle but obviously didn’t. The whole mess has been a headache in our lives. Thank God I have the best woman in this planet to stand beside me and insure I didn’t crack.

Shot one of mine yesterday, smacking a two hundred yard rock repeatedly. Recovered two 400 grain Hornady bullets nicely expanded from misses. Shot some cast as well. Lots of fun I had.
    I wondered how reputable this company was/is. About a year or so ago I had been looking at their firearms on their website from time to time thinking about maybe purchasing one. When I was finally pretty sure it was what I wanted I went to go to their website and it was down. I attempted a number of times over a weeks time as I know server issues etc can crash a website. But, usually within a day or so it will be back up. This one wasn't so I opted based on that to go with a repro 1886 in 45-70. Considerably cheaper and it can still pack a heck of a punch if you push the limits with it. Way more than my shoulder likes anyway.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by frank505 View Post

Had I known the gun came without any manufacturer support I’d have immediately walked away. Unfortunately, I’m in way to deep and have no way to recoup my loss as it is now. Hopefully I can fix it.

PM sent.
    Matt

Boolit Master
    I’m not on Facebook but my wife is. Every question I had was answered on either Facebook or they called me at home. I know a few guys who own 2-3 of these rifles and speak highly of them. Just like anything else in life hope I end up with a good one.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 04-20-2022 at 06:34 PM.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Bub
    Perhaps this reflects different attitudes toward prospects/future customers and an existing customer already on the hook? I guess we’ll see in around 12 months. I hope your rifle is a good one and your experience is pleasant.
    Last edited by swOhioMatt; 04-21-2022 at 08:30 AM.
    Matt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swOhioMatt View Post
    Perhaps this reflects different attitudes toward prospects/future customers and an existing customer already on the hook? I guess we’ll see in around 12 months. I hope your rifle is a good one and your experience is pleasant.
    The guys who posted about owning several are on different forums I visit, not facebook.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Another phone call ignored. It appears there is no warranty, none is indicated at their website. I’ll have a welder TIG the surface and then surface grind to fix. Pathetic really on a $3k rifle.
    whoa! what are you gonna grind?

If its double feeding the problem is the moveable stopper part. That system is fail safe in a 92 unless something is broken (the part in your picture is a copy of a 92)

I dont reckon you should be able to see that thing move as you open the bolt - the first little bit of bolt movement its all done - bolt moves back an eigth of an inch, stopper releases, magazine is blocked, its a very positive system - small rim in relation to case body should make no difference - the stopper is shaped to clear the rim going into the magazine then block it coming back - go after that spring first!

saw a Rossi one time having this same problem and the spring behind the stopper was jammed in wrong and full of crud so the stopper was only part functioning - gun would feed sometimes jam sometimes. Simple fix ! cleaned it and put the spring in right

I am puzzled how its only doing this on the first round out of the magazine? are you sure you are getting that last round fed in properly?

Have a good look at your OAL when the bolt is closed the cutoff is open so there is a limit to what they will accept as far as too short goes
    Last edited by indian joe; 04-25-2022 at 08:30 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    whoa! what are you gonna grind?

If its double feeding the problem is the moveable stopper part. That system is fail safe in a 92 unless something is broken (the part in your picture is a copy of a 92)

Agreed and exactly why I posted the picture of that very part.

I dont reckon you should be able to see that thing move as you open the bolt - the first little bit of bolt movement its all done - bolt moves back an eigth of an inch, stopper releases, magazine is blocked, its a very positive system - small rim in relation to case body should make no difference - the stopper is shaped to clear the rim going into the magazine then block it coming back - go after that spring first!

Operate the gun with the magazine tube removed and you can see the magazine cutoff clearly work in and out with the bolt opening and closing.

saw a Rossi one time having this same problem and the spring behind the stopper was jammed in wrong and full of crud so the stopper was only part functioning - gun would feed sometimes jam sometimes. Simple fix ! cleaned it and put the spring in right

I am puzzled how its only doing this on the first round out of the magazine? are you sure you are getting that last round fed in properly?

Round is in and loading gate closes behind it. Not sure how else to load it? When last round is loaded and it “goes around the bend” as it angles into the loading gate it must lever the rim of the previous round to the right side of magazine, opposite side of the magazine cutoff. Any round laying to the side opposite the cutoff will blow by. As stated in a previous post, it doesn’t double feed every time. If the cutoff had just a few thousands more depth to block those rounds too it would work just fine. The stiction between the WFN bullet and the round before it, plus the magazine spring pressing against them and clearance between the rounds and magazine tube causes the rounds to lay one way or the other in the tube. They aren’t all perfectly lined up in a nice neat row exactly one behind the other and right down the center of the magazine tube. They zig-zag in relation to one another. If they are zigged to the right, it double feeds.

Have a good look at your OAL when the bolt is closed the cutoff is open so there is a limit to what they will accept as far as too short goes

Cast bullets with crimp groove optimized by Veral Smith for my Freedom 454s. The bullet is maybe 1/8 inch from the front edge of the cylinder. About as long as you can get in the gun for which the cartridge was designed. Can’t be doublefeeding due to two short cartridges being released onto the cartridge lifter.
    xxx
    Last edited by swOhioMatt; 04-26-2022 at 10:43 PM.
    Matt

Boolit Master
    My son had a feeding problem that only occurred on the first round in his 92 Rossi. The problem turned out to be that the rim of the last cartridge loaded was hanging on the edge of the loading gate rather than resting in front of the bottom or the bolt. When the action was worked it allowed the cartridge stop to release the the next round from the mag tube when there was this other round hanging up on the back of the loading gate. If you slowly/partially work the action you can see what’s happening. The fix was to simply deburr and the back of the loading gate. The nose of the last bullet loaded into the magazine tube (which was setting cocked to the left due to the rim hanging on the loading gate) was tripping the cartridge stop allowing a second round past. This is what caused the double feed. If you look down into the action and see the last loaded cartridge aligned with the previous one in the mag tube all is fine but if the nose is going to the left and the rim to the right you will get the double feed.
    Last edited by txbirdman; 04-27-2022 at 12:54 AM.

Boolit Master
    xxx
    Round is in and loading gate closes behind it. Not sure how else to load it? When last round is loaded and it “goes around the bend” as it angles into the loading gate it must lever the rim of the previous round to the right side of magazine, opposite side of the magazine cutoff. Any round laying to the side opposite the cutoff will blow by. As stated in a previous post, it doesn’t double feed every time.

If the cutoff had just a few thousands more depth to block those rounds too it would work just fine.

yep yre on it ---- check operation of that stopper out of the gun then make sure its coming out to its fullest when its assembled - I would go after bighorn for a new stopper part including feed rail and spring if you can wangle it - (maybe they assembled a wrong calibre one in the first place??) I made that part for my conversion gun from scratch (dont have a mig/tig nor the confidence to try building one up - I would go to oxy welding for that (I am more confident with oxy and my eyes are not 100% so I can go slow with a torch) I would recommend manual file and fit for this part rather than trying to machine / grind it to shape - doesnt look like much but its a tricky little piece (like everything else in these style guns) -----best of luck -- it will be a sweet piece when you get it working right
    Disappointing for something that price

The stiction between the WFN bullet and the round before it, plus the magazine spring pressing against them and clearance between the rounds and magazine tube causes the rounds to lay one way or the other in the tube. They aren’t all perfectly lined up in a nice neat row exactly one behind the other and right down the center of the magazine tube. They zig-zag in relation to one another. If they are zigged to the right, it double feeds.
    needs fixin till that dont bother it!!!

Boolit Grand Master

It is for sure any company can produce a Monday morning monster. Even Rolls Royce still sends an official mechanic out on new car "house calls".
    But to abandon a client with a bag full of limes ....
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Another positive thread.
    https://singleactions.proboards.com/...mory-range-day

swOhioMatt, Hope your issue gets resolved soon
    East Tennessee

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    swOhioMatt, Hope your issue gets resolved soon
    Sent it back “cold” to the address shown on their web page. Someone signed for it Friday, so it wasn’t refused for lack of a return authorization. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Edit: And my cover letter was cordial, “hello”, “please” and “thank you”.
    Last edited by swOhioMatt; 05-10-2022 at 08:25 AM.
    Matt

Boolit Bub
    The gun returned yesterday. Other than proof of delivery, I knew nothing until UPS walked in the door with it. I haven’t had a chance to shoot it, been working on my mechanization of a Star sizer. I returned it with 7 dummy rounds loaded with my WFN bullets. They too came back and a full mag of 6 worked fine. I feel confident it’s good.

Overall, it is a very nice gun built to a very high standard. Is it work $3k? Only you can answer that question, but it is to me- now that it works. There are fine details such as the forearm and buttstock are glass bedded to the action. Something I would not have learned if not for the feed issues. Their people skills need help. A simple “send it back” was all that was needed, but their attention to detail is good. Bad ones slip through, no big deal if you work to fix them.
    Last edited by swOhioMatt; 05-17-2022 at 08:28 AM.
    Matt

Boolit Grand Master

I am happy to read the feed issue is "probably fixed".
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast