Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

Thread: T/C Renegade 50 cal

T/C Renegade 50 cal

T/C Renegade 50 cal. Light handling marks on wood, one thin spot on bluing. I don't know much about this, I am selling it for a friend's widow. $300 + shipping
    Last edited by wolfwing; 03-23-2022 at 11:55 AM.

No interest here?

Moderator Emeritus

Have you ran a lubed patch down the bore?

Also, do you know barrel twist? I assume it's the common 1:48
    BUT, I'd surely be interested if this is a 1:66
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man
    What does the bore look like.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Have you ran a lubed patch down the bore?
    Help out an ignorant BP guy. By lubed, you are not referring to petroleum are you? Doesn't BP use a wax type lube?

Moderator Emeritus

BP lube for patches is typically vegetable oil or animal fat...like Olive oil or Bear grease...Some people use unsalted Crisco, if you have none of these, you can use most any cooking oil for this test.
    Most people don't use petroleum on muzzle loaders, but a few do...I wouldn't.

I mention a lubed patch, because depending on the condition of the bore, if you run a dry patch down the bore it might get stuck.

Why I want you to run a lubed patch down the bore is to get a "feel" of bore condition, but if you haven't ever done that, it's likely a moot point. BTW, the patch should be pushed through with a proper sized brass jag for 50 cal and should be a tight fit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Very well put john.he is asking if you feel any hitch(resistance??) In the bore with a patch.you can use. Any type of lube.were just trying to find out condition of the bore.

Ps.i don't need another bp.just trying to help you out.

Boolit Bub
    With the amount of surface rust showing, the bore condition is a serious issue for that kind of money.Been burned a couple times buying muzzle-loader sight unseen. Without confirmed bore condition, I'd only risk about half that much.

Boolit Bub
    I keep a couple of "Thill Nite Brite Lighted Float Super Bright Long-Lasting Fishing Bobbers" on hand to check bore condition. They fit down the bore and provide plenty of light to inspect the condition of the bore. Great to have along at gun shows. Green works well, yellow too. Avoid red.

Also, not seeing all that surface rust. Besides crisco, ballistol is good. OP might likely to have that on hand. Also, did not know crisco had any salt?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by weakhand luke View Post
    I keep a couple of "Thill Nite Brite Lighted Float Super Bright Long-Lasting Fishing Bobbers" on hand to check bore condition. They fit down the bore and provide plenty of light to inspect the condition of the bore. Great to have along at gun shows. Green works well, yellow too. Avoid red.

Also, not seeing all that surface rust. Besides crisco, ballistol is good. OP might likely to have that on hand. Also, did not know crisco had any salt?
    Hey, I like that lighted Bobber idea,,,THANKS.

and you are correct about Crisco, I don't use it, and I assumed there might be a salted version, my bad.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I didn't get to it and I have to leave for the road. I should be back Friday night

Boolit Mold
    I have interest

Well, the good news is that the bore feels smooth. The vegetable oil patch went smoothly down without a snag.
    The bad news is that the patch is now stuck in the breech. I know of nobody that has BP stuff, but I will find a stuck ball screw somewhere and try to retrieve the patch. I have found ZERO BP stuff in my deceased buddy's possessions, so I will stop at the LGS and see what he will let me use.

I did not get a twist rate, but all literature says 1in 48"

I'm on the road for another week, so this may take a while.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwing View Post
    Well, the good news is that the bore feels smooth. The vegetable oil patch went smoothly down without a snag.
    The bad news is that the patch is now stuck in the breech. I know of nobody that has BP stuff, but I will find a stuck ball screw somewhere and try to retrieve the patch. I have found ZERO BP stuff in my deceased buddy's possessions, so I will stop at the LGS and see what he will let me use.

You actually need a patch worm; different animal.

https://www.amazon.com/Muzzle-Loader...7RYP3DQC&psc=1
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwing View Post

Since I'd posted the question about twist rate, I've found that all the 1-66" twist rate barrels with original Thompson Center markings like yours, would have 1-66" stamped on the barrel like this.
    https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...aa4c7f2021.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    PM sent
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

$300 shipped

Boolit Master

I'll take it! PM inbound.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

SPF
    Closing this thread