RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Would like some stuffed Bell Pepper Recipes

Boolit Master

Would like some stuffed Bell Pepper Recipes

Grandma would have a command showing of her 5 boys and she would make stuffed bell peppers in the summer. She came from Kentucky and West Virginia. Mom used her recipe but I didn't get it from her. No wild game was used as grandma raised her red meat. Tree rats and rabbits did not stand a chance if she saw them.

Boolit Master
    That sounds good, can't go wrong with stuffed peppers.Wife has made green pepper soup in the past.

Boolit Master

My wife's recipe has rice, black olives and Feta cheese in the stuffing.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Crawfish, rice, cajun seasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Peppers capped, insides cleaned out, stuffed with pre-cooked ground beef and chopped onions mixed about 50-50 with rice, the last inch or so topped with pepper jack cheese or ketchup. Baked at 350 degrees until the pepper is fork tender and the cheese melted.

DG

Moderator Emeritus

Helpful hint:
    Precook the empty fresh bell pepper.

I do it similar to this...
    https://thecookful.com/pre-cook-not-pre-cook-question/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

That's a quick and interesting read. Thanks for posting it, Jon. Seems as though the argument for pre-cooking the peppers is to save time, a 25 min. final cooking time vs. about 45 min. without pre-cooking. Of course, part of the idea is to get some of the pepper's flavor into the contents, and I'll have to contend that first stuffing and then baking the pepper does that.

DG

Moderator Emeritus

Whenever I made stuffed bell peppers without precooking the bell, the thicker parts the bell remain not fully cooked, even after cooking for an hour.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master
    I personally prefer poblano peppers over bell but the fillings can be the same. I also roast the pepper(s) and peel them prior to the final cooking steps - a propane torch will move the process along if you are in a hurry. Otherwise, put them under the oven broiler on high until blackened then toss in a plastic bag with a damp cloth for 5 minutes. The skin should be fairly easy to remove afterwards and the pepper will taste better.

You can put anything inside, from all the things already mentioned here, to whatever your heart desires. I normally use some type of ground meat, with a light tomato sauce and seasoned with salt, black pepper, garlic and cumin as a start. Sometimes, a little red chile powder also finds its way into the mix. The meat mix is browned and cooked prior to placement in the pepper carcass...

Place into a glass Pyrex dish, add a can of enchilada sauce and some Monterrey Jack cheese, then bake until fully done.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't pre-cook my peppers ... when they get soft it's too hard to stuff them .
    Clean out peppers , stuff with ground meat or meat/rice dressing of your choice , place in a pyrex dish standing up , side by side and pour into bottom of dish a little water , cover and steam in a 350 oven untill peppers are soft and tender ...then you can eat the stuffing and pepper ... YUM !

Uncased Boudin makes a wonderful stuffing for peppers ... local markets here will sell boudin stuffing by the pound or just make a batch of dirty rice with Savoie's Rice Dressing Mix and stuff the peppers with that . Check out recipes at www.savoiesfoods.com .

The Dirty Rice Mix is the best ... I don't make dirty-rice from scratch any more and I also add a container of the mix to my Cornbread Dressing ... it's good stuff !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I don't pre-cook my peppers ... when they get soft it's too hard to stuff them .
    Clean out peppers , stuff with ground meat or meat/rice dressing of your choice , place in a pyrex dish standing up , side by side and pour into bottom of dish a little water , cover and steam in a 350 oven untill peppers are soft and tender ...then you can eat the stuffing and pepper ... YUM !
    Gary,
    I don't cook them til they are soft and mushy, just partially cooked, they still standup nicely and take to stuffing nicely.
    Also, I kinda forgot to mention, I am prepping them during garden harvest, so I'm doing a lot of them...and freeze them for baking in future (winter months).

I am sure baking them fresh (not frozen) makes all the difference in the world...sorry for any confusion.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I put them in boiling water for a minute, works for me. I use Italian sausage, onions, brown rice, a can of diced tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic, and a mexican cheeze blend. Some pepper and Old Bay seasoning. hc18flyer

A lot of good things to stuff a pepper with. Ditto on a little water in the baking dish for the steam to cook the pepper.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Whenever I made stuffed bell peppers without precooking the bell, the thicker parts the bell remain not fully cooked, even after cooking for an hour.
    My experience also. The pre-cooked thing I'm going to do next time. Great Tip!
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    My experience also. The pre-cooked thing I'm going to do next time. Great Tip!
    I stuff em raw because it's easier to handle (stuff) them when firm ... pre cooked are soft and hard to handle .
    When I'm done stuffing them place in pyrex dish , side by side , standing up and then add water to the bottom of the dish about 1/2 " deep . Cover dish with pyrec lid and bake 350 degree oven untill the peppers are cooked through and soft ... we believe in eating the cooked bell pepper with the stuffing and cooked untill soft is much better . Test peppers with a fork , when done a fork slides right through the thick part .
    The reason I do it this way was my momma did it this way ...and I like it ... peppers are still easier to stuff uncooked .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

Y'all making me hungry now, I have missed Boudin since I left Texas in 1980. This thread is making me want to hunt up a good Boudin recipe and stuff peppers with it! Ha! Now THERE'S a stuffed pepper recipe to die for!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Y'all making me hungry now, I have missed Boudin since I left Texas in 1980. This thread is making me want to hunt up a good Boudin recipe and stuff peppers with it! Ha! Now THERE'S a stuffed pepper recipe to die for!!
    I would go to Jerry Lee's and buy bulk boudin , before it was stuffed into casings ...
    and you are right , the pork , rice & seasonings of Boudin makes some Awesome Stuffed Peppers.
    Savoie's also makes a nice short cut ...frozen Rice Dressing Mixt (we call it dirty rice)
    Thaw SDM out and add equal amount of cooked rice ... stuff your peppers and cook them .
    Not quite as good as Boudin stuffed Peppers but a quick and tasty way to make a good meat and rice stuffing for peppers . www.shop.savoiesfoods.com
    Since the mix is frozen they may be able to ship it to your door .
    Check out their stuff is all good. Savoie's sells boudin too !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I was growing up and peppers were in season, we would eat stuffed peppers once a week. Sometimes with a mix of ground beef and rice to stretch things.