Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners

Thread: My old Turbo Tumbler died I think.I

Boolit Master

My old Turbo Tumbler died I think.I

I'm getting the dreaded death hum from my old turbo tumbler. I can't seem to find a replacement motor. Perhaps my googlefoo is weak. Anyone know if there is a fix? This might be the excuse I need to get a stainless pin setup. Hope not though.

Boolit Master

I am not familiar with the motor used on that machine, but it sounds like you might have a start capacitor out. It may be attached to the side of the motor under a small cover. If so, many times replacing that capacitor will restore complete function. You can also test if the capacitor is working using a multimeter.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Depending on which model you have, it appears that Lyman has parts in stock on their website.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Heres a place I often go to for replacement motors
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...tioner-Motors/
    Steve

When mine died, I just bought a Big Blue, Dillon and never looked back. Come to think of it, I need to replace the media.
    Used Walnut for years and switched to corn cob, but the cob takes longer. I will go look for some walnut shell.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    When mine died, I just bought a Big Blue, Dillon and never looked back. Come to think of it, I need to replace the media.
    Used Walnut for years and switched to corn cob, but the cob takes longer. I will go look for some walnut shell.
    Harbor Freight can be your friend, I bought a 25 lb. box for $20 bucks about 4 years ago. It's dustier that the Lyman and untreated.

But about 10% the cost of Lyman.

I use NuFinish about every third batch and a fresh dryer sheet with every load. Cheapest brand I can find.

I polish 7-8000 rifle and pistol shells each year, that 25 lb. box probably has another 3 years anyway before I have to buy more.

And the excess walnut shells store beautifully in gallon milk jugs that fit up under the eaves out of the way in the storage shed.

Finster101- Have you tried turning the shaft by hand? Does it just need some lube?

Quote Originally Posted by LaPoint View Post
    Finster101- Have you tried turning the shaft by hand? Does it just need some lube?
    This was my first thought. My Midway brand tumbler has a simple shaded pole motor on it which looks like a transformer. Very simple and reliable motors. Dab a couple drops of light oil on the shaft ends at the bearings and see what happens.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LaPoint View Post
    Yes, the shaft moves freely when not powered on. When plugged in it just hums and struggles to turn. I tried to help it get started by spinning it with a screwdriver that fit in between the vents to no avail. I will take it apart today and see what I can find. Thanks for the tips thus far.

I have a vibratory tumbler, but rarely use it. Too dirty.

Instead, I built this Harbor Freight wet rig that uses stainless pins per the instructions this guy posted on YouTube.

90 minutes in this tumbler with a squirt of Dawn and a 9mm shell's worth of LemiShine and the brass gleams like new. Deprime first so primer pockets clean out and water drains out easier.

Also, replace the galvanized 3/8-16 carriage bolt the red pipe plug comes with, with a stainless steel carriage bolt and a brass 3/8-16 nut so the threads don't gall or corrode.

Used this for years and years. Put it on a simple timer and it shuts off automatically. NOTE: don't let the brass soak in the soapy solution overnight; remove it after your 60-90 minutes of tumbling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roN67_oGpx8

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harbor Freight Brass Tumbler 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	298132

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harbor Freight Brass Tumbler 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	298133

Boolit Master

I finally got around to disassembling it. Not much to it really. the shaft with the bearings and magnet assy comes out quite easily. Sprayed the bearings with brake clean and compressed air. Took 600 grit paper to the magnet because it had a couple of witness marks as if it were scraping a bit. Then a light synthetic oil applied to the bearings and reassembled. Seems good as new. This thing is stored and used in a pole barn so maybe crud just built up over time, but I could not see anything obvious even after taking it apart. It's working again, that's the main thing. Thanks for the tips.

I will still look into that SS pin set up though. Might be nice to try on the cheap.