WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Carlson's Shell Catcher

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Carlson's Shell Catcher

Does anyone here have personal experience with this item? If so, what are your thoughts?

It claims to work for both 12 and 20 gauges. I'm primarily interested in the 20 gauge adaption. This is for a Beretta A400. The 12 gauge can use the T&S catcher but the 20 gauge cannot.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Maybe a Picture?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe this will not help you but we needed a brass catcher for our Winchester Model 10 self loading rifle. It is a simple blow back 40 caliber rifle 1910 vintage that tosses brass far and hard enough to hurt by standers.
    None are made for it but with a little adapting a AR-15 catcher was adapted by just adding a piece of 12 gauge copper insulated wire. Since then no more searching or loosing brass.
    I would think some production catcher is made for a similar type or shaped 20 gauge.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Well I was thinking of the bag type....
    But looking at what was listed at the e place I would think positioning it so the brass has to "get caught" would not be hard.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    This is double face taped to the side of the receiver. The YouTube videos seem to show it works OK but all I've found so far is for the 12 gauge.

The bag type is quite awkward to use with an auto loader.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Id go to a trap shoot and ask what they like. Of course it will mainly apply to 12 gauge, but it would give you some ideas as to which brand to avoid.

Robert

Boolit Master
    It's not a matter of avoiding any particular brand, it's a matter of FINDING ANYTHING that will work for the small gauges, besides a big rubber band which I refuse to use. I have one that works beautifully for the 12 gauge. The problem lies in the fact that there is no clearance on the small gauges, practically speaking, between the cocking handle and the bottom of the ejection port opening, so the plastic ones, like the T&S, can't be used.

I think I have found something that may work, but I have to decide if I want to D&T the receiver since that is how it is attached.

Boolit Master

I shot both trap and skeet on the local level for several years. In the about 14 years I shot trap I saw only one of those shell catchers and it was on a trap line. I don't know the brand name but it was fitted into the ejection port of a Remington 1100 Trap gun. The best I remember it did quite well as the shooter only had to take hold of the fired shell and push it forward to release it from the catcher. , which was a 2 pronged flat metal piece. my memory anyway. james

Boolit Buddy
    I have it on a new-to-me used Remington 1100, and it works fine. I was amazed that I basically slapped it on there, as the installation guidance is very limited. It worked first-time-every-time and have shot 2 rounds of trap with it. It's not my normal trap shotgun, but I wanted to try a semi-auto.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life