Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Expansion at "Leisurely" Velocities

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    What medium were these bullets shot into?

Water is my guess. Without 4 layers of denim. And no depth of penetration data.
    Correct. Tests above (posts 20,23,32) were all fired into water-filled half gallon milk cartons with the bullets captured in pillow stuffing. No denim and no penetration data.

Tests below were fired into some well-used (and no longer very clear) Clear-Ballistic gel. The .38 wadcutter was fired from a snubby as a reality check when compared, for example, with Brassfetcher's snubby data here.

"Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Nice.
    I've found .45's HPWC's much easier to expand than .38's.
    Working now with .41's. Need to cast up a bunch and go back to load developments.

Boolit Buddy

Bullet expansion at "leisurely" velocities may be more a problem of expanded bullet shape than of expanded bullet diameter.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    That could turn this six-shot Webley MP into a single shot.

My bad, did not realize we were talking about that Webley.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    My bad, did not realize we were talking about that Webley.
    So, you may have missed the old girl in (double) action.

That is such a fine looking machine.

Banned Previous Member: Bunk Theory / DonDiego / Nikonuser
    I probably, i think, have hit that velocity with a 6" 357 and upside down speer hbwc. dirty as can be. but strangely more accurate then MOST lead round nose ive tried.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    I did a number of tests on properly calibrated (resistance match to pork loin and deer leg which are the same) gelatin. Water and other mediums (clay, mud, newspapers), except perhaps that synthetic gel, should be ignored. I did tests using water and not only is it useless for determining penetration (which is at least as important as expansion), it tends to exaggerate expansive properties of hollowpoints and diminish it with solids.

My findings were stunningly consistent. They could follow formula. And I suspect that millitaries throughout the world figured this out a long time ago.

Regarding handguns with solid cast bullets. No real expansion is observed at all until you are going somewhat above 1200 FPS impact velocity. You will observe deformation, but this isn't the same as the "mushrooming effect". Once you crank it up to 1400 or greater you start to observe effective expansion in solids. How many handguns have an impact velocity of 1400 FPS? I found 1100 FPS to be about a break point. Interestingly this is about the speed of sound in air at normal elevations.

With hollowpoints you observe consistent expansion down to about 750 FPS impact velocity or so. I like 800 FPS or more with a SOFT alloy containing no antimony, only tin. The problem is that at such low velocity there really isn't an abundance of momentum to carry that expanded bullet very deep. The classic 38 SPL+P loaded with a 158 grain or so soft SWCHP out of a 1 7/8" snubbie gets just under a foot of penetration, usually 9-10" with a 4 layer denim cover. This was recognized as an effective load because it is. No more effective non-jacketed load I have found for a snub nose 38. It basically defines cast hollow point performance at the bottom end of the performance envelope. Out a 4" revolver this load improves owning to the almost 100 FPS it can pick up, getting it to penetrate over a foot and still holding together.

Really soft hollow points fragment if you push them too hard. 850-900 FPS you will start to see fragging, not on every one usually, but sometimes "tearing". Like one of six or so. At 357 mag velocity you will frag unless the alloy is toughened up with more tin and copper. 16:1 works, so does an alloy I call 96-2-2. Which has equal by wight parts antimony and tin (together added at once ounce per pound), is harder than 16:1, and is cheaper as it has half as much tin. Once you are up to 3% antimony it seems to "crystallize" the alloy greatly increasing brittleness and will cause fragmentation to a significant degree. Wheel weights, especially older ones, seem to have too much antimony. Tin, if you can get some, is your friend.

One of epiphanies I had regarding cast hollowpoints is that they act like a little parachute. If you get expansion, you will reduce penetration, in almost a linear fashion I suspect. Penetration can be improved by lengthening the bullet (adding mass) or by increasing velocity (but this also may increase penetration or cause fragmentation which results in loss of mass and reduction of penetration). The straightforward way is to increase mass. This is why 38 SPL+P beats 9mm with cast bullets IMO.

Predicting the performance of hollowpints is not trivial. All my testing was done almost perfectly perpendicular to the gel block. The few tests I did at angles revealed that really big cast hollow point cavities with thin walls like to collapse rather than expand, sometimes you get a half expanded bullet or something (this is sadly true of that 38 SWCHP). It seriously eroded by "trust" in them. I found that jacketed hollowpoints are quite a different animal too. The much tougher jacket allows the use of very soft lead alloys for the core and it arrests expansion, prevents fragmentation, allowing the manufacturer to really dial in the performance profile. Of all the jacketed bullets I tested I have have some favorites. I even did "barrier" testing shooting plywood and my wife's cookie sheets. The Federal 130 grain HST bullet in their 38+P defensive loads is the last word in snub gun loads as far as I am concerned, though it is annoyingly difficult to use with a speedloader. And the Hornady 158 grain XTPHP in 357 full sized (4" barrel or longer) revolvers and the 180 grain XTPHP in 357 rifles. 147 grain XTPHP in 9mm loaded hot.

Compared to solids it is a chore. This is one of the reasons why I made a paradigm shift to using big bore cast solids instead of medium bore cast hollowpoints for handgun hunting (though I confess I still have a fondness for 357 Max with 180 grain Hornady XTPHP). Big bore solids are stupidly predictable (the make a hole of crushed tissues at least as big as the diameter and usually perforate normal sized animals at any angle). So it leaves more time/energy to focus on achieving accuracy and consistency. For me big bore starts at about .43".
    curioushooter: There's a lot to digest here. Thanks for taking the time to get it all down.

I don't think it's mere coincidence that the .38 Federal HST bullet looks like a .38 version of the Webley "manstopper" that started this thread. At one point Eley loaded a .380 with mini-manstopper bullet -- I think 140 grains worth -- for commercial sale.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I could critique the 38 130 HST it is that penetration when it expands is on the low end of FBI spec. Whether one thinks that okay may vary per the user.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    If I could critique the 38 130 HST it is that penetration when it expands is on the low end of FBI spec. Whether one thinks that okay may vary per the user.
    Plenty of Clear Ballistics tests on the interweb. But here's one with "real" gelatin validated with a BB: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns...ed-/20-181119/

Boolit Buddy
    How about something more like this:

Those are 200 grain .38's -- the first batch out of a new adjustable weight HPWC mould.

According to Hatcher, the original .38 Special Super Police load was good for about 625 f/s from a snubby. If we start there, VIRGEL shows maximum wound mass (using MacPherson's calculation) of about 33 grams at an expanded diameter of about 0.42" with about 17" of penetration. So long as expanded diameter is less than 0.50", penetration should keep the FBI happy.
    Last edited by pettypace; 04-23-2022 at 10:44 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’d prefer something of more standard weight but have to admit that would be compelling.

The gel results there were about what I have seen. I do carry them in my 638 but have lead wadcutters on hand and switch them out sometimes. In an aluminum snubby not much faster than 710 fps seems controllable and will do around 16-21 inches depending upon whether swaged or cast.

Some might think this odd but I have to wonder if the Federal HST would be better if it did not expand. What do the models say about its penetration then? The small number I have tested averaged around 830 fps in my Smith.

Boolit Master

Pettypace we need to meet up soon.

I have some 215 grain SWC that you can’t move much faster than 650 in a 38 special I remember correctly.
    They would be great for some test fodder to drill HP cavities into.

Here they are loaded short and long in 38/357

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5778622C-9A34-4705-899B-F716A609EEB4.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	299478

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Pettypace we need to meet up soon.

I have some 215 grain SWC that you can’t move much faster than 650 in a 38 special I remember correctly.
    They would be great for some test fodder to drill HP cavities into.

Here they are loaded short and long in 38/357

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5778622C-9A34-4705-899B-F716A609EEB4.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	299478

I'm looking forward to that, Mike. Are you still running casting fests?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    I'm looking forward to that, Mike. Are you still running casting fests?

Yessir. I should have one planned for October. I would love to have you swing down to it. Last time we did it in Taunton so a little closer to your neck of the woods

Boolit Buddy
    Some might think this odd but I have to wonder if the Federal HST would be better if it did not expand. What do the models say about its penetration then? The small number I have tested averaged around 830 fps in my Smith.
    A 130 grain 0.35" WC at 830 f/s should penetrate close to 20" in bare gel. But with that gaping hollow point, the HST might flip. Then, who knows? But I'd guess more than 12".

I'll see if I can scrounge up some HSTs. Maybe choke the cavity with hot melt glue and see what they do.

Boolit Buddy
    From last week's Snubbyfest:

Boolit Grand Master
    Too much drag when it expands, and too much when it tumbles? Interesting.

I am indeed wondering if putting something light in the HST cavity would create an eventually tumbling wadcutter. Also an interesting concept.

Boolit Buddy
    Too much drag when it expands, and too much when it tumbles? Interesting.

I am indeed wondering if putting something light in the HST cavity would create an eventually tumbling wadcutter. Also an interesting concept.
    Here's a link to Webley's 1899 US patent application for the "manstopper" bullet. He notes in the application (lines 60-67) that "The rear end of the bullet is formed with another and similar recess or cavity, which both balances the bullet to secure accurate shooting and also admits of the metal of the said bullet at that end being expanded to take the riflings of the revolver-barrel."

With more foresight, I might have specified a single wide and deep grease groove near the base of that adjustable mould to help balance the HP cavity.

I wonder if the HST bullet has a hollow base?

So, maybe I should cast up some 130 grain HPWC's at, say, 16:1 and fill the HP with hot melt glue.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hit 820-830 fps and call it close enough

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast