Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Food expiration dates??

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Maybe it's time to get rid of the habit of making endless food supplies. What is the reason you buy so much food? I understand is annoying to go daily shopping, but food waste is completely driving me nuts.
    I just went thru a winter storm. 5 days of roads almost impassable... summer winds can down power lines and trees across a wide area making travel impossible for a week or more... so I have a good supply of food I rotate stock on to keep it fresh.

Having food on hand isn't wasting it! I only cook what I need.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    Generally the taste starts to degrade.
    Texture of some products degrade.
    I have Canadian MREs from 20 years ago that have buns in them that feel and taste as fresh as the day after they were baked.
    Other parts of the MRE have dissolved into mush.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Texture of some products degrade.
    I have Canadian MREs from 20 years ago that have buns in them that feel and taste as fresh as the day after they were baked.
    Other parts of the MRE have dissolved into mush.
    I think I have a grand total of 24 Mountain House meals on hand(MRE's suck!)... I have the raw ingredients to make endless menu items so I don't really need them. I keep 6 in the car in case I get stuck in a snow storm(water is vac bagged and frozen, break it up and put in a kettle over a small cooker that uses candles, it will boil in 15-20 minutes for the small amount needed for a meal). 2 full chest freezers of meat and veggies, all kinds of dried staples(rice, beans, wheat berries to grind my own flour etc etc etc). And an overflowing spice cabinet that gets the herbs/spices swapped out once a year so it stays fresh. I am pretty good at ordering what I use up in a year so very little waste there.

Boolit Grand Master

Frozen meat vacuumed packed tastes fine after a year.

There are several sights online that give the real dates that food is good to eat and most can be extended out beyond that. Remember C Rat's?

As for freeze dried, we have 2yrs on hand and keep a supply at our camp in case we show up on the spur of the moment. Spaghetti with dried sauce in a pouch, fish from the pond, dried beans and so on will go a long way.

As for food on hand, always can the garden and collect food on sale. Just had a turkey bought for $6 on sale. Ate dinner, carved off the rest for freezing then boiled the carcass and canned for soup. Always thought everyone did that. Usually at least a year in stock but growing up poor as grandchildren of people that lived through the depression will cause you to have food anxiety if there is not several months in the pantry. Funny thing is that both the wife and I always seem to really start buying every fall without thinking. Food for the winter.

We are always perplexed when there is a storm or power outage for a day or two and people start complaining about government needing to set up food distribution sites. We just look at each other and go "really"???
    Last edited by jonp; 01-06-2023 at 08:46 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    All the people here reading this today, had an ancestor that stocked enough food to make it through some particular rough time. Those who didn't have a have a large chunk of mammoth meat in the back of their cave, starved out along the way through history. It's prudent to posses sufficient food, stores, and tools{weapons} to make it through a troubled time and have your lineage continue on. Don't be the woke , purple hair type that freezes to death walking to the Dollar General to get a bite to eat.

Boolit Master

We finished yesterday a jar of mustard that my wife and I both enjoyed. I checked the date-Nov. 2021. We noticed no decrease in flavor or quality. I would not be afraid to use outdated canned food for safety reasons.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

My family has always been about having extras, especially when it comes to canned goods and frozen items. It's like a tradition or something, ingrained in our way of living. Growing up, we'd often go on spontaneous camping trips, and having some dried food in stock was a lifesaver. The whole idea of being prepared for a rainy day, or a snowy one, has been a constant theme in my life, and I find comfort in knowing there's always something good to eat, no matter the situation.

I'm with you on the reaction to storms and outages – I'm always surprised when people don't have at least a little something tucked away. The anxiety some folks get over not having enough food for a day or two has always perplexed me. I guess it's just how some of us were raised.

Speaking of being prepared, I always use frozen meat for my Italian spaghetti with meatballs. Specifically, I turn to Kirkland's Italian meatballs from the Costco frozen food section, and I've got a fridge full of them in the basement. Having them on hand has made many a last-minute dinner situation much easier, and they always taste fantastic.
    Last edited by PuppetZ; 08-10-2023 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I started writing the purchase date with a sharpie on all food I buy anymore.
    A lot more useful than "best by" dates.
    Yes sir, that's the way for us. Also, when rechecking what's on hand I apply markings that will indicate "use me first".

Boolit Buddy
    It is amazing since we just went through a period where grocery stores were bare in 2020. I always had enough for 1 week, but now I have 1-2 months set aside.
    My straightshooter posts: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...raight-shooter
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...RAIGHT-SHOOTER
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Some people have reached out to me directly to put specific brass packages together regarding specific headstamps. Feel free to ask.

Old conversation, but I just fussed at my wife Friday. She pulled out a package of flour that was 3 or 4 years old. Was in a zip lock bag inside her metal pepper paint can. Had about 3 or 4 weevils (deceased probably 3 years ago) on top. She was going to toss. I sifted them out, gee whiz. Why waste $3 or 4 of flour? Besides, you need extra protein

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

There were more bug parts than those in it.

Boolit Buddy
    So, I do look at the "best buy date" but make eating decisions on the integrity of the 'package'. As for freeze dried, check the package for bug holes. Most bug carcases will float to the top when "cooking" the food.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Old conversation, but I just fussed at my wife Friday. She pulled out a package of flour that was 3 or 4 years old. Was in a zip lock bag inside her metal pepper paint can. Had about 3 or 4 weevils (deceased probably 3 years ago) on top. She was going to toss. I sifted them out, gee whiz. Why waste $3 or 4 of flour? Besides, you need extra protein

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    You had filler but not much nutrition...

Boolit Master
    I believe there are food industry regulations on such stomach turning ideas as allowable insect parts per unit weight, including flour. Just because the critters got ground up in the milling to the point where you can’t see them without a microscope doesn’t mean they’re not there.

ETA: But, yeah, my wife is a bit squeamish too. She fusses at me when I toast bread that I’ve trimmed the mold off of. I already told her that I’m not allergic to penicillin.
    Last edited by kevin c; 08-07-2023 at 01:03 PM.

I found foods that will expire after I do.

Etc, etc, I have a complete thread on a nother website where i try and review many of Ready Hour's food offerings. Some good, some meh, some great.

Speaking of great, their Black Bean Burger mix really is awesome.

Moderator Emeritus

Canned foods last much longer than the expiration dates if stored properly. As far as pre-made "survival " foods, many can be made yourself. I take a more simple approach with having canned vegetables and such plus mylar bag sealed flour (50lbs), sugar (50lbs), rice (25lbs), and beans (25lbs). There are only two of us so with our small garden and our "girls" (8 chickens) plus about 500 lbs combined of beef, venison, and chicken in our freezers, that is the extent of our prep. We are going to try our hands at jarring apples in a week or so.
    Ron

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Canned foods last much longer than the expiration dates if stored properly. As far as pre-made "survival " foods, many can be made yourself. I take a more simple approach with having canned vegetables and such plus mylar bag sealed flour (50lbs), sugar (50lbs), rice (25lbs), and beans (25lbs). There are only two of us so with our small garden and our "girls" (8 chickens) plus about 500 lbs combined of beef, venison, and chicken in our freezers, that is the extent of our prep. We are going to try our hands at jarring apples in a week or so.
    Ron
    Canned apples are a go to for me. Eat them as is from the jar or use to make pie/cobbler/crisp/cookies... also apple sauce from the damaged ones, cut out the worm spots(skim the ones you miss, what's a little extra protein!), cook down with just enough sugar so it has a hint of sweetness. A little cinnamon in some, some plain... Apple sauce shakes are tasty stuff!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345