Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: #5 chilled shot for pistol bullet casting?

#5 chilled shot for pistol bullet casting?

I apologize if this has been covered a million times before but I can't get the search function to work. (I get techno-babble about line errors)

My question: I was given a 25lb bag of #5 chilled shot. Can I use this "as is" to cast low velocity bullets?

TIA,

Jeff
    Last edited by jeff423; 01-21-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: better title

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I think the short answer for that is yes , you would need to make sure it fits the throats ok . I forget the antimony content of it but what makes chilled shot useful is the arsenic content which seems to help with quenching and heat treatment to get hard bullets .

Jack

I have added about 6" of lead free solder per pound of shot & gotten a great mix. It comes up about 12-13bnh air cooled & about 23-24bnh when quenched. It's great stuff. Some people will try to scold you for wasting good shot, but if that's what you have to work with, use it.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

You may have some antimony mix float to the top as a foamy looking stuff. This is to be expected with chilled shot. As the shot size goes smaller, the antimony content goes up. #9s are pretty high in antimony. I forget the exact percentage but that's the rule of thumb.

At any rate, skim this off and save it for alloying with pure lead.

From my experience, pure shot alloy gives you bullets that are fairly brittle as I've picked up .30s and .32s off the 100 yard backstop that were broken and I mean a clean break like they were brittle. I'd consider adding some pure lead and a little tin to the mix for a good alloy.

If you're just punching paper, it makes no difference but I would use a softer alloy for hunting./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy

just a thought. There are many folks that would love that shot. Why don't you trade lb for lb for some lead ignots. You are going to melt them into boolits anyway.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Thanks for all the replies. I'll mix the shot with some 95/5.

As for trading, I want to cast this weekend. I would like some casting alloy and I live in St. Louis. If someone wants to work out a trade today or tomorrow please let me know.

Jeff

Boolit Master

Hoping for confirmation from Felix;

The primary reason for the use of Arsenic in shot making is because it alters the surface tension of the alloy, thus facilitating "roundness", much desired in shot.
    I would be reluctant to use chilled shot (high Arsenic/Antimony) without alloying down, for any boolet casting. It would seem to me that I'd loose the sharp edges so much desired on the heel and grooves of my product.
    If you decide to use straight shot, please document and photo for posting your results.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Grand Master

The last price I saw for shot was $45./25 #. That's awfully expensive casting alloy. Surely you can find something cheaper than 95/5 solder at $7. / lb to make it go further, and improve it's ca stability.
    I sure wish we were near to each other. I've got tons that could use the shot and and give you lots more to work with.

Boolit Buddy
    Better yet find someone and trade them 1lb shot for 2-3lbs of ingots.

PP