RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: $500 and under 4-12x rifle scope

$500 and under 4-12x rifle scope

The more I read, the more confused I get. Looking for a 4-12 power rifle scope for my Mauser 25 06. Prefer a 40mm objective. Read about first vs second focal plane and adjustable objectives. Can anyone steer me in the right direction ? Thanks !

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 4.5–14 vari x 3 on one of my 25-06’s. It’s perfect for hunting and a fine optic at dusk when aiming towards the setting sun. It has an adjustable objective so I can count fly legs at 400 yards if wanted. I keep mine set at 200 when hunting open country and clarity is fine. It’s a fine duplex. I know this rifle and load better than any so I’m fine with just the duplex. I prefer more power if I’m at the range and prefer second focal plane scopes for long distance shooting to keep reticle size from covering target.
    Last edited by Gofaaast; 03-20-2022 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Link posted below is better than my explanation

Boolit Master
    Read this article. It really shows what the difference is and it’s not hard to understand. https://outdoorsmans.com/blogs/rifle...nd-focal-plane
    Adjustable objectives are pretty insignificant at distances beyond 100 yards to 99% of the shooters who are hunting or casual target shooting. At what they call “infinity”, it makes little difference to your eyes and or your shooting having an adjustable objective (AO). I personally have come to the conclusion that a simple plex reticle is pretty easy to use for any distances if you know the distance. To really make life simple, get something like a Leupold scope with a CDS dial. Range, turn dial, shoot. No calculations required. Having bought a few FFP (first focal plane) scopes I’ve decided I don’t care for them. Personal preference.

Boolit Master
    Mueller optics have served me well. I have an 8-32x40 AO that has served me on rimfires, an Axis 223, and a Win 270 for the past 5 years. I remember picking mine up for something like 300, then two sets of Leopold rings.

I've had great luck with a few of the 'big names'- Leupold, Simmons, and Redfield
    variable power ones in the high $300 to $450 range.
    For the daylight, not quite dark shooting I do, I'm big on 1" tubes, a steel mount & rings, and a 40mm AO.

Your .25-06 shouldn't have a scope crushing recoil, and any of ones in your price range should do fine and have great clarity.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Vortex has a beautiful 4x12 I just bought. I planned to put it on a .30-06. I swear by Vortex and have several. I prefer Vortex to Leupold, that's how much I like 'em. This latest 4x12 comes from the vender "Optics Planet" for around $250. I strongly recommend the scope. check out Optics Planet. They sell all sorts of scopes, etc. Good to deal with.