RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 310 bullet sizers

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 310 bullet sizers

I acquired a couple 310 bullet sizer die sets and a loose push rod/nose punch thingy that I have no use for. Before I sell or trade them off, is there anything that would indicate they are damaged or junk? They look good to me, but what do I know. Don’t want to dry shave anyone.

Boolit Master
    Most of the ones I see are .311” or .358” and so marked on the top portion of the die.

Just pick a casting of the proper nominal diameter, wipe a little lube into the grooves with your fingers, screw the die into the handles, drop in the casting, follow it with the plunger, and squeeze.

If it pops out the top with no more effort than sizing a shell or seating and crimping a boolit, is reasonably smooth on the sides, and measures close to the nominal diameter, it’s good to go.

They’re only practical in the sense that they are very portable. Pretty slow to use, and the pan lubing and Kake-Kutting that is required before the sizing operation is kind of a mess. But for the Advanced Collector, who has to have the handles, all the loading dies, the adaptor, and the drive-in-and-out full-length shell resizer, they are an absolute necessity!

That or a straight jacket, a shot of Thorazine, and intensive counseling.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info.

Now that I have that info, my hope is that someone here knows someone who needs them who has a history of helping others out. I’d rather make a friend than make a buck. I got what I wanted out of the grab bag and learned something along the way.

The dies are 429 & 452 and each has a rod/nose punch and there is a loose rod that looks to be for ~358. The rod/nose punches are marked 191,242 & 421 if I remember correctly. IIRC, the one in the 452 RN and the one in the 429 SWC.

They are downstairs and I’ve been in the gardens all morning and I’ll tell you how likely I am going to get up and go look. My Brownells order just showed up that was supposed to be here Friday and I have been waiting all week for it to get here. If that don’t interrupt my siesta there isn’t much hope of anything else getting me off my butt.

The other surprise item in the grab bag turned out to be a Clymer Half Jacket Bullet Swaging Die.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 03-20-2022 at 03:36 PM.

You can scrape off excess lube with those gizmos, but don't try to remove much metal with them. The tong tool doesn't have enough leverage for that unless you have arms like Godzilla.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    Calling them 310 dies was probably a misnomer. It would be much more efficient to mount them in a TruLine Jr Press. That would give you some leverage for sizing a thou or two. Any more than that might be a stretch for the little press.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OAL 9mm.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	300280 I load 9mm and 38 Special on my True Line Jr. turret press. Yes it uses 310 dies. I have the newer k leverage model as opposed to the older straight bar. It is a great press until it comes to crimping. I have a CH 204 I use for bullet sizing and crimping. I set the bullet using the Tru Line Jr. then use the CH204 with a Lee Factory Crimp Die to crimp. Each case manufacturer sets and crimps a bit differently. I have found by separating the functions I am within .001 OAL. By doing so I have reduced the stress on the Jr.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    You can scrape off excess lube with those gizmos, but don't try to remove much metal with them. The tong tool doesn't have enough leverage for that unless you have arms like Godzilla.
    Do not try them with the Alloy handles either , they will eventually break . They work ok with steel handles but as stated by Charles you need good hands . Most of the screw in dies are made right but the handles with the built in dies are (in MY experience ) more oval than round.

Bent,

Thanks for the diagnosis, I'll see my doctor about the cure you laid out.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master
    bbogue1 you can “cheat the system” on the TL Jr system if you have a muzzle resize (only) die in the caliber in question. You can just “kiss” the loaded round with this die in your press and you have a “po’ boy’s” taper crimp! The press you have is, IMHO at least, the most versatile of the tiny presses, and with a random supply of dies can do an amazing variety of tasks. One is permanently bolted to the left front corner of my loading bench, and has been for years!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"