PBcastcoLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Cooper 45 Auto Load

Boolit Master

Jeff Cooper 45 Auto Load

It seems there is a lot of controversy over Coopers load. Here are the photos from an April 1977 Guns and Ammo from his Cooper on Handguns column.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1FjpMTu.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	297786
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	q7NuqL4.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	297787

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I can tell you from personal experience that Cooper's .45 ACP loads were frame crackers.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Super Moderator

The 7.5 gr Unique load could possibly be a "frame cracker", but the H&G 68 load with 4.2 grains of Bullseye is a winner.

Boolit Master

6.5 grains Unique with the 215 grain bullet would be about right. Wonder if that was a typo.

Boolit Master
    Anything is possible. But, that isn't the only publication I've seen that load.

I shot that 7.5 grain load back in the day. It was a handful.
    Last edited by RKJ; 03-19-2022 at 09:08 AM. Reason: put wrong number in

Boolit Grand Master

I believe, and had for many years, it is/was a typo printed in that column and in G&A's "Jeff Cooper on Handguns". I've many times read Cooper to say, and heard him say it once, the H&G #68 over 7.5 gr Unique was his suggested "social load" using a hard cast bullet. He also suggested any 200 gr hard cast bullet of 40 - 45 caliber at 1000 fps was about as good as it would get. I have never read what mould the "215" bullet actually was from. Perhaps someone knows?

For many years I've shot a lot of commercial hard cast (Greer and then Laser Cast) 200/205 gr cast SWC of facsimile to the H&G #68 over 7.5 gr of Unique in M1911/Combat Commanders with steel frames w/o any sign/hint of a cracked frame. I also use 18 lb recoil springs though. Velocities run 990 to 1050 fps.

Having pressure tested that load with Laser cast 200 gr SWCs and cast of Lee's 452-200-SWC I've found the pressures to run from 17,500 psi to 18,500 psi depending on the bullet weight and seating depth used. That is well under the SAAMI MAP of 21,000 psi for the 45 ACP.

My own 'social load" is the 200 gr Hornady XTP or Speer Gold Dot over 7.5 gr Unique. Velocity runs 1025 +/- fps out of my 5" M1911. The pressure of that jacketed bullet load runs 18,700 psi. Again, well under the SAAMI MAP.

Note; Testing Hornady 220 gr Critical Duty and CorBon 230 gr +p loads gave psi's out of the same test barrel right under the top end or 45 ACP+P MAP of 23,000. I was told they were loaded to SAAMI +P pressure. Thus the pressures are basically correct [there will always be a test to test variation] for the 7.5 gr Unique loads.

While I have shot a lot of those (they really tumble jack rabbits....) it is not my normal practice load not the load I used for IPSC. That load is the 200 gr SWC or 230 TC over 5 gr of Bullseye.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 03-18-2022 at 08:18 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    While I will agree the 215 grain could be a typo it may have not been a typo.
    Seems like a lot of things are typos and/or wrong data or other complications nowadays.
    Hensley and Gibbs made a #78 215 grain SWC mold at one time. Could it POSSIBLY have been at ONE time he liked the 215 SWC/7.5 gr Unique at one time and then due to circumstances switched to the H&G #68 later or vice versa?
    Oh well it doesn't really matter now since we have a miriad of bullets and powders now to cobble something up regardless of what Cooper used.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 03-18-2022 at 09:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    I don't KNOW that this is the bullet that Col. Cooper had in mind, but the SAECO #58 215 gr. SWC is a WONDERFUL projectile for non-target .45 ACP. I think Col. Cooper's load was supposed to clock at 950 f/s from a 5" barrel.
    Using Missouri Bullets' polymer-coated 215s, I obtained that velocity with 6.9/Unique. Obviously, all firearms are somewhat different, and 215 gr. @ 950 f/s is a handful. I recommend a heavier-than-stock recoil spring for this load.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I’ve loaded the H&G #34 230grn RN boolit extensively. A local guy has moulds for several H&G-pattern boolits, and he can crank them out coated for a few pennies extra.

Prior to all the Corvid-panic, we did a cash deal for 5K coated 230grn boolits. These run 100% in all my 45s - 1911s as well as my old S&W 3rd Gen DA/SA pistols.

I load mine over 4.8 - 5.0grns of Bullseye, which essentially duplicates the classic Mil-hardball load. Very accurate too.

Cooper was such a hardcore .45acp honcho, it’s a mystery to me why he went with the 215grn load over 4.2grns of Bullseye. That’s an extremely mild load out of a full-size gommit model 1911.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8218D4EC-F502-40FD-8CC9-6325EBC3A1FB.jpeg  
    Last edited by Nick Adams; 03-19-2022 at 05:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    "Cooper was such a hardcore .45acp honcho, it’s a mystery to me why he went with the 215grn load over 4.2grns of Bullseye. That’s an extremely mild load out of a full-size gommit model 1911."

That isn't what he said. Reread what he said for social work load.

Boolit Master
    I think if your frame would crack, it would be from the recoil, rather than the pressure.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    I think if your frame would crack, it would be from the recoil, rather than the pressure.
    It's caused by to high a slide velocity causing the slide to smack the frame quite hard. The solution is a stronger recoil spring and/or the plastic Delron "buffers".
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

I believe I have read where he did indeed mention the H&G #78 mound as his boolit of choice. I took his 7.5 Unique load to be used for carry, and not for general practice, hence the 4.2 gr.load of BE.

Boolit Master
    Larry, I did mean, recoil of the slide, hitting the frame. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 03-19-2022 at 10:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'd think the slide velocity could be moderated with a higher-rate hammer spring and an un(der)-rounded firing pin stop.
    In the late 1980s, I tried a load of 7.2/Unique/200 gr. LSWC in a Mk IV Series '70 Government Model. It chronographed 1059 f/s and hit like a freight train, on jack rabbits and javelina. Mercifully, I never had to use the load on "two-legged" vermin, but I can guess the likely outcome.
    More recently, I reprised this load with 7.1/BE-86/200 gr. LSWC-PC. I think the velocity was something like 1061 or 1073 f/s, with QUITE stellar accuracy, and darned fine penetration (BHN = 18). THIS time, I went with a higher-rate hammer spring, a flat firing pin stop, and a "shock-buff" on the recoil spring guide. It'll be my "under the deer blind" deer gun.
    If I thought I could push the 215 gr. SAECO SWC over 1000 f/s without bending things, I'd sure try it.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

I read that recipe many times by Cooper and I think he used 7.2gr with a 230gr rnl.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    If I thought I could push the 215 gr. SAECO SWC over 1000 f/s without bending things, I'd sure try it.
    With the much larger Meplat of the Saeco 058 215 grain bullet over most other 200 - 215 grain bullets I sure don't think one would have to get over 1000 fps with it for it to be effective.
    There will be others make comments about the Meplat, from those that have few firearms and shoots very, very, very little to those have more firearms than the United States Army and shoots more than the whole United States military combined and owns thousand upon thousands of dollars of equipment give their opinion on my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    "Cooper was such a hardcore .45acp honcho, it’s a mystery to me why he went with the 215grn load over 4.2grns of Bullseye. That’s an extremely mild load out of a full-size gommit model 1911."
    That isn't what he said. Reread what he said for social work load.
    Don’t need to.

The old coot said a lot of contradictory things over time, as well as offering up pontifications on non-gun topics well beyond his range of personal experience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Adams View Post
    Don’t need to.

The old coot said a lot of contradictory things over time, as well as offering up pontifications on non-gun topics well beyond his range of personal experience.
    I have learned one important thing in 69 years of living. It is that anyone that never changes their mind on any particular subject is one who either is never learning anything else on the subject due to being hard headed, ignorant or intolerant to ever believing they could ever be wrong about something. I have formed opinions on subjects 40 years ago that I have changed over time due to learning more. sometimes learning more can either show us we are still correct or that we may be partly wrong or totally wrong about our first opinion. Learned people will change their opinion and stubborn, intolerant people wont.
    As far as speaking about or on subjects we know little about, who doesn't do it. It is all around us at work, at home, at Church, at the range, or on shooting forums or anywhere people gather or are.
    So he would be no different on that aspect of being human than you, me, our parents or any other person.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast