Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .358 Yeti For Cast AR 15 ?

Boolit Master
    At the risk of seeming to: "rain on your parade...", may I just suggest a standard 358 Winchester in an AR-10 like me and Fitz and dogmower. I got a Wilson Combat 16.5" barrel and used AERO Precision's Enhanced Upper/Lower/Hand guard set. There is a ton of 358 Win brass out there, and it is C-H-E-A-P. No issue forming, I just run the case thru my 358W FL sizing die, and square the case mouth. MagPul offers 20 and 25 round mags. NOE has a great 250gr RN mould, and if you powder coat you can get over 2250fps as safe pressures.

For me, a way to judge pressure is how far it throws the empties, and in how small a pile. It also helps finding the brass. Reinventing the wheel is always fun, if cost and time are not issues. Me, at age 73 I want to spend more time shooting, not case forming.

Rich
    Sua Sponte

Banner Sponsor

How much does your AR-10 weigh? 10# ish?
    The AR15 can be built much lighter.

Hey guys, just stumbled on this thread and was excited to see my round still being discussed! I developed the Yeti in 2015, which is when most of those pics ad that description was written. Since then, over 200 barrels have been put out into the world and shooters are finding it to meet the claims from back then. The 358 Yeti and the other MDWS .473" cartridges take advantage of being able to use a faster burning range of powders than their longer-actioned counterparts cannot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12