Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement day

Retirement day

Not for me but for my 30 year old Lee 20 lb pot.
    I bought this many years ago as an upgrade to my Lee 6lb pot (which I still have by the way - and it still works!). I learned pretty fast that a 6 lb wouldn't be very efficient in terms of productivity.
    The 20lb pot certainly held more, and lived up to its reputation as a drip-o-matic, but I finally figured it was just part of the deal. I keep a screwdriver handy and turn the spigot rod a few times and it stopped. You might get 2 or 3 casts before it decides to start the drip thing again. Temperature is critical, and these are not terribly accurate in holding the temperature. But I have to say that it is dollar for dollar, the best deal on the planet.
    But I have to say this pot, which still works fine, has served me well for these 30 or so years.
    Well, I just drained it of my full pot of #2 alloy into corn cob ingot moulds.
    I cleaned the pot up a bit and will oil it when it cools and put it away. Believe it or not I still have the original box for it. A no doubt rare collector's item!
    So....I ordered an RCBS Pro Melt 2, and I just got the email that it was shipped.
    YIPPEE!

Yes, they are expensive. But i have been saving my pennies and I finally pulled the trigger.
    The Pro Melt is not a great amount bigger at 25 lbs. capacity. But it will help.
    I use 4-6-8-10 H&G moulds and tend to cast in manic sessions doing 2000 or so in total over a few casting sessions. These really need a mould guide, and I like the way the Pro Melt does that. I fully expect the 6-8-10 cavity moulds will REALLY be happy using those, as will I.
    I'm looking forward to working out the rhythm using this pot. I am sure it will be a little different.
    I am looking forward to the productivity improvements.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

When it comes in, like any other new power tool----

You will need to apply Rule #1 of Man Law.
    Rule #1 clearly states:
    A. Throw away the instructions.
    B. Disconnect, or otherwise bypass all safety devices.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

I have had one for 30 yrs. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine... I made a guide out of a cut down angle iron that pivots on the provided rod and supported by a crossbar I mounted across between the support legs. Do not remember the name but someone makes a nice aluminum plate guide and a plate that covers to top to contain heat. Nice outfit but just have not pulled the trigger on guide. GW

Very nice!! If I could get my Lee pots to break that is the one I have been wanting as well.

Well, I received the Pro melt via FedEx and set it up last night. Well packed and complete.
    Setting it up is easy....just a few parts and that's it.
    I fired it up with the leftovers from draining the now retired Lee 4-20 (a moment of silence please ) and while it took some time to start the initial melt from the corn cob ingots, once it got melted it was fine.
    I like the digital dial in of the desired temperature and the ability to watch the actual pot temp digitally. I presume that the digital readout is accurate.
    I LIKE the mould guide because I cast with 4-6-8-10 H&G moulds, and it looks like it will support them nicely.
    LOTS of room under the pot when you swing the mould guide out of the way.
    I didn't cast anything last night, just got it set up and filled up with #2 lead alloy and ready to go.
    One thing that is very different is that the furnace has a cooling fan in the back side body. I assume that keeps the electronics from melting down while in use.
    With the Lee, you just pull the plug, make sure it isn't dripping, and walk away.
    The RCBS has a cool down sequence - set the desired temp to zero, let the pot cool (the fan is still running to keep the electronics from frying), and when the pot reaches 160 yank the plug.
    It took well over an hour to do that.
    Can't just pull the plug and walk away. You have to remember to go back and unplug the unit when cooled down.
    Casting maybe this weekend if I can squeeze out some time.
    We will see how it goes then when the rubber hits the road.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Since the thermocouple is not in the melt there is a lag in the readout but it doesn't affect operation.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

yeah when I get new casting stuff I normally take it apart or "make it better" and break something then have to order new parts before I even try it out. Have fun

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Enjoy your new pot. I may be doing the same thing soon.

Boolit Master
    I am not so sure I would like that shut down procedure. Usually by the time I get done a bullet making session it has been a 12 hour marathon and I want to go in, NOW! There is not way I want to have to wait for lead to cool down 500 degrees before I can unplug the unit. That, in my opinion, is a flaw in the design. What if you leave it plugged in? Does it shut off or does it stay at 160 degrees? With my PID controllers on my pots I have now I simply flip the switch off and I am done.

Boolit Master

I have a Lyman digital pot that works great. When I turn mine off I have a small fan I turn facing the pot and have a timer set for 30 minutes and then shuts off. May not be necessary but better safe than sorry.

Gmsharps

Boolit Master

Enjoy your new pot! One day I'll upgrade to an RCBS from my 20-lb Lee, too.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I am not so sure I would like that shut down procedure. Usually by the time I get done a bullet making session it has been a 12 hour marathon and I want to go in, NOW! There is not way I want to have to wait for lead to cool down 500 degrees before I can unplug the unit. That, in my opinion, is a flaw in the design. What if you leave it plugged in? Does it shut off or does it stay at 160 degrees? With my PID controllers on my pots I have now I simply flip the switch off and I am done.
    Excellent point. After as marathon session (you have the same casting style as mine) all you want to do is walk away and maybe shower and hit the sack.
    I had a thought - a timer.
    If you plug a timer into the outlet, plug the pot into the timer, you could set the timer for an hour after you set the digital controller to zero, which starts the cool down process. The pot cools down, then an hour later shuts off.
    Easy peasy.....I will take a look at some timers to see what might work.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Well, I received the Pro melt via FedEx and set it up last night. Well packed and complete.
    Setting it up is easy....just a few parts and that's it.
    I fired it up with the leftovers from draining the now retired Lee 4-20 (a moment of silence please ) and while it took some time to start the initial melt from the corn cob ingots, once it got melted it was fine.
    I like the digital dial in of the desired temperature and the ability to watch the actual pot temp digitally. I presume that the digital readout is accurate.
    I LIKE the mould guide because I cast with 4-6-8-10 H&G moulds, and it looks like it will support them nicely.
    LOTS of room under the pot when you swing the mould guide out of the way.
    I didn't cast anything last night, just got it set up and filled up with #2 lead alloy and ready to go.
    One thing that is very different is that the furnace has a cooling fan in the back side body. I assume that keeps the electronics from melting down while in use.
    With the Lee, you just pull the plug, make sure it isn't dripping, and walk away.
    The RCBS has a cool down sequence - set the desired temp to zero, let the pot cool (the fan is still running to keep the electronics from frying), and when the pot reaches 160 yank the plug.
    It took well over an hour to do that.
    Can't just pull the plug and walk away. You have to remember to go back and unplug the unit when cooled down.
    Casting maybe this weekend if I can squeeze out some time.
    We will see how it goes then when the rubber hits the road.

Congrats on your RCBS! I had a Lyman on back-order "forever" and -- in want of a pot -- changed my order (Buffalo Arms) to the RCBS and it turned out to be a quite wise/good/lucky decision!
    I'm posting that I, too, do not like keeping it plugged in, and my solution was spending less than ten U S dollars -- maybe Amazon? -- and I purchased a heavy duty timer switch. I see the unit is now (inflation?) runs a short twelve U S dollars -- https://www.amazon.com/Century-Digit...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== -- and works so well I bought a second which I have my wet-tumbler plugged into. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timer.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	298497
    Just a thought...
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Congrats on your RCBS! I had a Lyman on back-order "forever" and -- in want of a pot -- changed my order (Buffalo Arms) to the RCBS and it turned out to be a quite wise/good/lucky decision!
    I'm posting that I, too, do not like keeping it plugged in, and my solution was spending less than ten U S dollars -- maybe Amazon? -- and I purchased a heavy duty timer switch. I see the unit is now (inflation?) runs a short twelve U S dollars -- https://www.amazon.com/Century-Digit...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== -- and works so well I bought a second which I have my wet-tumbler plugged into. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timer.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	298497
    Just a thought...
    geo
    Consider it done. That is exactly what I was thinking.

CASTING ROOM REPORT
    I was able to get some time in the casting/reloading room this evening.
    Alloy is my standard 5 lbs ww to 1 lb linotype.
    Pot at 700 degrees.
    Hensley & Gibbs 6 cavity #39 158 grain round nose - the classic old school 38 bullet.
    I cast about 550 in a couple of hour's worth of leisurely casting.
    Some observations:
    The pot heats up very quickly when it is full. Memo to self: leave the pot full always.
    The mould guide is great. height is easily changed.
    The spout is very precise, controllable and adjustable in terms of flow speed.
    I like the cover on the pot. It is great for preheating moulds or ingots. I suspect it helps hold in heat too.
    I backed it down to 650 and eventually the spout froze. Easy fix - back to 700 and a quick pass with a propane torch.
    All in all I am happy with it.
    The Lee 4-20 has a place for those on a budget. It gets the job done and it gave me 30 years of service.
    Save your quarters and get the RCBS Pro Melt II.
    I guess the lesson is like all the others : you get what you pay for,
    Again, the complaint with having to leave it plugged during cooldown has been solved courtesy of Geo. Thank you sir!
    Additional memo to self: buy the timers!

Boolit Master

Thank you for the thread
    I think I will have to crank up the pots soon, as I have been shooting
    alot and might be running low on 41, 44, and 45 bullets

I would start off trying to use the H&G 8 cavity molds but at 73
    the weight might be too much, we shall see

MiKe
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Thank you for the thread
    I think I will have to crank up the pots soon, as I have been shooting
    alot and might be running low on 41, 44, and 45 bullets

I would start off trying to use the H&G 8 cavity molds but at 73
    the weight might be too much, we shall see

MiKe
    As you age technique is important. I have 10 cavity H&G and used to be able to cast for 5 or six hours at a time. Now I'm down to just over an hour and a half before I'm done. I use the mold guide and slide the mold down to a towel and use a rawhide mallet to cut the sprues and start over. For me that works. The timer above works great had one for over a year and hasn't failed.

gmsharps

Boolit Master

I think this fella has a good idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1bp8Cl3L8A
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Looks great but a little more explanation would be nice. What king of mold is that? Two piece setup or something he fabricated?
    After reading the video title I see it says Ballisticast and Google gives very little info on that. Looks like a European setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Looks great but a little more explanation would be nice. What king of mold is that? Two piece setup or something he fabricated?
    After reading the video title I see it says Ballisticast and Google gives very little info on that. Looks like a European setup?
    Guaranteed it is a 10 cavity H&G.

Boolit Master
    I just got one of these, and have used it twice. My casting sessions end around 1AM, so I let the fan run until the morning and shut it off at 7AM. No issues so far, but that timer likes nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast