Load DataRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Please help me build my dream A.R. 15

Boolit Buddy

Please help me build my dream A.R. 15

Please help me build my dream AR. I am looking to buy or build a lightweight A.R. 15. I am wanting it to come in at around 5 pounds, have a 18 inch barrel, with a carbine length gas system,1/12 twist barrel in 5.56/223. I want the 1/12 twist barrel because I plan on shooting the NOE 60 grain bullet and it will have an adjustable gas block so what do you think any advice?

I would suggest starting with a CavArms type lower receiver. All one piece and eliminates the separate pistol grip and buffer tube. They aren't pretty- but I've never seen a pretty AR15 anyway.......
    Mine weighs about 6 pounds as shown.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I should have mentioned, I have a magnesium lower already!!

Well that's very cool. I take Magnesium every day! So this isn't a budget build
    I've seen skeleton bolt carriers and pencil profile barrels. If every ounce counts, a slickside upper will help. Please keep us posted as you build it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

They did this one for under 5 pounds using a mid-length gas system. I encourage using a mid-length for 16" and over.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    ^^^^^^^^^ 18" Mid-Gas with an adjustable block for me times a few. M4 bottoms with H3's and rifle bottom configs, very soft shooters can be achieved.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I got my barrel in it’s a brownells A1 repro with a 1/12 twist 20” rifle length barrelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	8712D43A-D685-4904-8C7D-85170C20873E.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	298439

Hopefully I will beable to shoot these NOE 224-62grn around 22-2300 FPS with some sort of accuracy

Boolit Grand Master

I just ordered a Slickside Upper and a NBS lightweight nickle boron BCG from AR-15 Discounts. Total with a basic charging handle was under $200. I could have gone lighter, but then you move into the realm of cubic dollars! The last build (223 Wylde) that I did, was with a Hanson pencil barrel. It comes in at 6 lbs. 2 oz. with a red dot and shoots .75 moa on average. I think the best was a .287@ 100 yds.

I have no affiliation with the seller.

Attachment 298442Attachment 298443
    Attachment 298444
    Last edited by stubshaft; 04-02-2022 at 06:37 AM.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    Well I got my barrel in it’s a brownells A1 repro with a 1/12 twist 20” rifle length barrelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	8712D43A-D685-4904-8C7D-85170C20873E.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	298439

Hopefully I will beable to shoot these NOE 224-62grn around 22-2300 FPS with some sort of accuracy
    You should be able to achieve that with the 12" twist. My 12" twist AR is a contract milspec M16A1 barrel on a M16 upper. The 1 moa dot Ecotech may not be the best for accuracy, especially at 200 yards, but it works for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171117_141745.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	298449

Here's 10 shot groups at 100 and 200 yards with a cast load at 2250 fps. Not the NOE bullet but will give an idea what, with your barrel and a scope, can be done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220402_064701.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	298450
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

i dont know if you know the company or not, but "precision firearms" has some very nice top end AR parts. Uppers, lowers, barrels or fully custom complete rifles.
    https://www.precisionfirearms.com/

When i was more into AR's, I assembled a higher end 6.5 grendel with an upper and a lower from from there. Triggertech diamond trigger, bartlein barrel, JP enterprises buffer, ultradyne flip up sights, with a IOR recon scope on spuhr mount. They have some Videos at shot show on you tube.

here is one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjz_BCO5Hm8

I talked to mike a few times on the phone, very good with his customers and he is hell bent on getting you perfection. at least he was with my order.
    Last edited by almar; 04-02-2022 at 10:37 AM.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill