Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Night vision set ups on the cheap

Boolit Master

Night vision set ups on the cheap

Not sure if this is in the correct place. I have the need for some poor mans night vision setups. I will tell you guys what I have been looking into and what I need it to do. Please give feedback as to thoughts and experience on what might work or what not to buy. As always thanks in advance. Outer

This is what I have looked into so far. Oneleaf NV100. Price is good but with a 4x power on any scope I already own is going to be the lowest setting of 12 power. To much to shoot at 20-50. I would have to buy another scope thus costing more money.

The sightmark wraith not bad price and ok reviews.

Mostly will be shooting 15 yards to max of 150 yards but mostly under 80 yards.

CHEAP as in it should not cost more then five guns combined.

Links to and what you like if you can.

I plan on using this on a .22LR or airgun not sure yet.

Any help would be great.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    I use SOME night vision, but mostly thermal. You definitely get what you pay for. Cheap night vision or thermal optics are ridiculous at best.
    One of my employees has a similar one to the first you mentioned and she says it's not bad!
    I definitely wouldn't trust anything said in Amazon reviews - but I watched this video and it doesn't seem like a terrible optic. If you do end up getting it, make sure to use the tar out of it before the return date comes up. Use all features, oftentimes there are functionality issues that you won't discover until you really need it.
    Also, make sure to inquire about using it on an airgun - for several reasons the recoil impulse will destroy even high quality optics not intended for airguns.

https://youtu.be/PK_w5wGMKds

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thank you cwtebay for the response. I should state some more info from my end. I helped the neighbor with his ATN Thor thermal scope for three months this winter. After three models he asked for his 5k back only got 3800. We had issues and spent loads of time shipping and on the phone with them. I am put off by ATN by this. I should also say I had a ATN aries MK-SP years ago that I would not call ok but did let you see a bit. My friend how has it and it sits many states away and collects dust. I have been looking into digital as to be cheap and honestly, I cannot afford 2k dollar scopes at the time.

If I have to buy the Oneleaf and a new scope this puts me out 600 or more dollars. I think I can get a standalone night/day digital model for around that price. I was going to dedicate a rifle to this and keep it set up for night critters. Looking to see if anyone else is running a buget set up.

Boolit Master

Not entirely cheap now, but it's cheaper than many other things out there. I mainly use it for varmint on my .22, but reviews say it can handle bigger.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0768BHHFY
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Thanks Omega Ill check that out.

I recently bought the ATN X Sight 4K Pro 3 to 14 zoom. I haven't done much with it yet due to weather.
    I bought a PCP air rifle to mount it on. I was afraid my break barrel Hatsan would destroy it.
    I know early on they had a lot of problems, most of the bugs are worked out now.
    These things are computers sitting on top of your rifle and like all computers are subject to bugs in software.
    I bought the laser range finder for it because why not?
    You can set up profiles so you can move it from gun to gun and it will always be zeroed in.
    I like the fact it records video too.
    So far, I like it.

A good high power green light might actually be better with your normal sight. I got one to try, lights stuff up pretty good and can change to a red LED if I need to. I have a thermal monocular, not cheap but works for finding/identifying targets. Basically for armadillo/hog/coyote hunting. This way, doesn't make a difference what gun or who/how many are shooting.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    A 2-16 wraith
    will be right up there with the best choice for what you want to do and spend.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    A good high power green light might actually be better with your normal sight. I got one to try, lights stuff up pretty good and can change to a red LED if I need to. I have a thermal monocular, not cheap but works for finding/identifying targets. Basically for armadillo/hog/coyote hunting. This way, doesn't make a difference what gun or who/how many are shooting.
    This is my opinion as well.

Inexpensive NV or Thermal is throwing money away IMO.

As far as which one? The thermals are by far and away the better system. More expensive too. As far as ATN, I know there a lot of issues but mine is a 2015 vintage with the 100 mm objective and it rocks for being as old as it is!

I would be very cautious about buying one now though!

But you can get by with a red or green light for now and save up for a good unit!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

If your wanting to stay in a budget under say $1000 I'd go with the ATN X Site II all day long. Their like four models behind the newest one so you can find them on sale used for like $450 all day long

Get into e of them high speed night vision face book groups and then guys practically give them away lol. Now I will say though the 4k pro is nicest and more versatile when it comes to mounting but bet a bit more fragile . My buddy broke his just by having his gun fall on his carpeted floor from being propped on the couch.
    I can tell you though my Xsite II is rugged! It's been dropped kicked and a few other things I won't mention and it's still going strong !

I will say though if you go the digital NV route BUY A GOOD IR Light !!! It's a extra $120-200 but it makes beyond a world of difference when you get them tuned in. I use a coyote reaper XXL and it was worth Every penny ! Here it compered to the factory one which works but the reapers lights critter out to 500yd easy

BTW get a decent tripod and thank yourself later. Mines a bog death grip and it was $125 and worth it when it comes to working this set up.

O and here's a video o me watching some coyotes with my set up. No this as mounted on my .22lr and wasn't tunnd as good as I usually have it on my hog rig but this was at like 150yd
    https://youtu.be/A3uRUYnstmc

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy
    ATN has worse than zero customer service. I have a Pulsar thermal and a Wraith. The Wraith is a great piece, but for close range get the 2 power for the low end. Mine is a 4x and it's too much magnification for under 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    If you are working out of a blind, shirt range under 50 yards it do, you can simply use a red lense flashlight to good effect. The pigs don’t seem to notice the red light. Another technique is to use a regular light, like on a pole, to illuminate the area all the time. The pigs and other wildlife get used to it over time.

I use a ATN scope nowadays. It uses a infrared light to good effect. Works great too. But any of the thermal scopes or digital scopes cause your eye to lose its night vision for a while though. So it takes some getting used to where one eye sees in the dark and the other is blind trusting to catch up.

Boolit Master
    If you are working out of a blind, shirt range under 50 yards it do, you can simply use a red lense flashlight to good effect. The pigs don’t seem to notice the red light. Another technique is to use a regular light, like on a pole, to illuminate the area all the time. The pigs and other wildlife get used to it over time.

I use a ATN scope nowadays. It uses a infrared light to good effect. Works great too. But any of the thermal scopes or digital scopes cause your eye to lose its night vision for a while though. So it takes some getting used to where one eye sees in the dark and the other is blind trusting to catch up.

I’ve found a green light works better than red…..Although, ANY light with substantial strength, shined directly at them at close range, will spook a hog. I start with the green light up in the air and drop it down on target quickly and FIRE.

Boolit Master

I’ve shot out to 90 yards at night with my setup; Red dot with NV monocular behind it and external illuminator. Most shots around the 50 yard mark though.