Load Data

Thread: Is this Linotype? Help ID'ing a Alloy

Boolit Master

Is this Linotype? Help ID'ing a Alloy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220315_170230.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	297682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220315_164959.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	297683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220315_164956.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	297684

I came along this alloy at my scrap yard. The owner said it was some kind of printing lead, before I said anything. Some pieces are clearly Linotype. However there is a lot of this ribbon type lead (Middle Picture). It's very shiny, breaks when bent, and melts just like lead, but is harder. It's in lots of small pieces. There are a bunch of these cubes also, some with letter or designs, some not. I got 64 lbs of it for $32. There's still a good 50+ lbs there along with what looks like a large unused spool of the ribbon, probably 30 lb. What do you guys think? Do I need to go back tomorrow for the rest?
    Last edited by Hanzy4200; 03-16-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Don’t wait, go get the rest of it, now! If they got a scanner in house, have them shoot it, then you’ll know, but, in my opinion only, it will be worth getting. Good luck.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Yes. Get what you can for that price.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Bub
    Looks like you have a mix of linotype, factory cast type, and stick-ons.

Boolit Master
    Photo #1 looks like linotype and spacer strips. Spacer strips can be lino or anything softer.
    Photo #2 is likely spacer strips of various materials. Since it also is in a roll like ribbon, perhaps that would be something used in glass work. How did you determine it is harder? Sort like materials for now. You have plenty of time to figure things out.
    Photo #3 looks more like Foundry or mono type, but you may want to keep that separated as well.
    You will probably want to have BNE scan a few samples for those that are really unknown metal.

Boolit Buddy
    Mix of foundry/ monotype, linotype and spacers. Price is verrry good I would buy it all

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kcofohio View Post
    There are no stick-ons. They keep all their WW's separate. I can see from the one pic it could look that way. The thin pieces are my primary concern. It's definitely not soft alloy. It breaks when bent and has a much higher shine than lead.

At that price, Buy it and separate.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kcofohio View Post
    There are no stick-ons. They keep all their WW's separate. I can see from the one pic it could look that way. The thin pieces are my primary concern. It's definitely not soft alloy. It breaks when bent and has a much higher shine than lead. I couldn't go today, but I plan to drive down tomorrow. Nice thing is, I've developed a repor with the yard owner, so he said he would buy back the alloy for what I paid if it turns out to be junk.

Boolit Grand Master

Everything you show is a form of type metal , high in tin content and hard .
    Go back and get the rest . The thin ribbon stuff ... I'm not sure what that is .
    You will find some linotype with no letters ...those are spacers ... lots of spacers used in type setting.

A friend retired from the printing business and gave me all his old metal type ... there was no ribbon like material in it .
    What a nice guy !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    I just bought some factory cast type from Rotometals. It has thin strips that are shiny. They snap in two when bent around 45 degree bend. So far they have melted. I keep the heat lower at start in case there was zinc in the mix, before I crank it up a bit.

Boolit Buddy
    The thin "ribbon is spacer material I have seen it from very thin to 1/2" thick.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a great price. I would go back for it all.

Boolit Master

Well, the verdict is in! I sent some in for testing by a member here. Thanks a million BNE. The suspect thin ribbon material is 11.7% antimony and 3.8% tin. We have linotype! Thank you all for your input. Very glad I went back for the rest.
    Last edited by Hanzy4200; 04-06-2022 at 04:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on the find. That thin ribbon is almost the grade of linotype. We KNOW that is a good material to have on hand. I would not have expected it to be of that alloy. Keep learning.

Boolit Master
    I would be on my way back right now???

Boolit Master

I may be late to this game, but I'd buy it all at that price. You can't loose!

The thin, shiny strips are spacers. If you fold them and they break leaving a grainy looking break line, then they are Linotype. Most spacers are Linotype, not cheaper alloys. It is safer that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    There are no stick-ons. They keep all their WW's separate. I can see from the one pic it could look that way. The thin pieces are my primary concern. It's definitely not soft alloy. It breaks when bent and has a much higher shine than lead.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

Go for it !
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master

March 2022, that batch of type is long gone from the recycler by now.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I hope so, since we’re the ultimate recyclers for that type of material.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris