Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Hornady pistol bullets trash compared to other companies ??

Hornady bullets are some of the best made. Better stock up while they're available.

DG

I wager Hornady cares more about selling to reloaders than Vista and Olin do. The later wants to make components for their own ammo and sell in large quantities to ammo makers.

If you want a bullet that expands reliably the XTP is good from Hornady. It may shed some weight and may not expand to as big of a diameter as some HP bullets out there but they have been getting the job done for decades.

The OP sounds strange.
    Availability does not equal quality. Other manufacturers may not have the capacity to satisfy demand whereas Hornady may have it.
    Define "trash" as regards to pistol caliber bullets. Only then the OP's question may be answered in his terms.
    I do not think as of trash even about Berry plated bullets that are of inferior quality compared to Hornady. All of them shoot pretty well from my POV. Pricey? Yes. That is why I mostly cast.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

I use 200 grain XTP in 10mm. I chose them because of the good results other people were showing that they got.

Hornady is a very popular choice for PRS shooters, good quality at a reasonable price. Down here, they are preferred over Berger for PRS - they work just as well and don't cost as much.

Definitely nothing wrong with Hornady bullets.

The reason nobody wants the ones you mention is most likely that people just don't know how good they are.

Hornady Critical Defense ammo is what I make sure my wife's carry gun is loaded with. If I didn't cast, all my handgun ammo would be using Hornady XTP or Hornady flat nose fmj.
    Their rifle bullets have always been good, too. I wish that we had the V-Max bullet of today way back when!
    My home defense rifles are loaded with Hornady bullets.
    I guess that I like Hornady bullets.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Hornady is good to go!!! I've used their bullets in .458 to .224. The only other maker I use is Sierra in 7mm 168gr hp bt. I also cast and swage.

Boolit Master
    I’ve always been a Speer/Sierra/Nosler guy myself.

My overall impression is Hornady has by far the largest market share of bullets for reloading.

IIRC, didn’t RCBs make a statement recently that reloaders just aren’t that big of a market? Are they still under the same umbrella as CCI/Speer?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I’ve always been a Speer/Sierra/Nosler guy myself.

My overall impression is Hornady has by far the largest market share of bullets for reloading.

IIRC, didn’t RCBs make a statement recently that reloaders just aren’t that big of a market? Are they still under the same umbrella as CCI/Speer?
    I wouldn't be surprised. I'd guess Speer is probably the most struggling of bullet makers at the moment. If it wasn't for the gold dot, Speer would have gone out of business years ago. Don't get me wrong, Speer is ok, but they make me think of the 1960's. They made more sense when they were cheaper, but now they are on par with Hornady, and Hornady bullets are better almost across the line... except the gold dot in most calibers. I'll still take the XTP in 357 magnum.

Boolit Buddy
    Not trying to be boring but that's also the nature of Hornady bullets I have used. In most of my calibers I have developed dime size and smaller groups in rifles and have gotten ragged hole accuracy in handguns. I have always had excellent results with Hornady bullets. Let me say this though, my handguns are 25 yds and in and rifles are out to 150yds due to range limitations and my abilities. Also, echoing previous remarks that Hornady's customer base is mainly reloaders thus most always in stock in some configuration or caliber. Wonder if we could talk Hornady into making primers? They would already have tremendous customer base. I have used Speer i 223 with same results as Hornady but Speer is never as available as Hornady thus most of my reloading/shooting has been with Hornady. Buy a 100 and give them an honest try and I think your results will mirror everyone else's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12