Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handloader Magazines

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Anyone else collect Handloader Magazines?????
    Just something else to take up space in the house.
    Still holes in my collection.
    Took a box to the Gunshow this weekend, and only one person even looked at it.
    Kind of sad.
    Interesting I see your post! I have been getting more and more disappointed with Handloader, but in today's post came the most current issue -- and I'm in proverbial "heaven". Quite a good articles on .38-40WCF, the ubiquitous .38 S&W Special, the .30WCF, the 'Legend, plus even more articles of interest to me.
    In several past issues there was maybe one, possibly two articles I'd even bother reading. BUT THIS ONE? Just the opposite.
    geo

Boolit Master

The latest issue of Handloader came today. The first thing I noticed was that each feature article was printed on continuous pages without the "turn to xyz" for the rest of the article. I've always wondered why all magazines forced you to go looking for the rest if an article at the back of the magazine. Kudo's to Wolfe. Assume they are doing this for all their magazines.

Unlike many, I find something interesting/valuable to me in each issue of Handloader.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    The latest issue of Handloader came today. The first thing I noticed was that each feature article was printed on continuous pages without the "turn to xyz" for the rest of the article. I've always wondered why all magazines forced you to go looking for the rest if an article at the back of the magazine. Kudo's to Wolfe. Assume they are doing this for all their magazines.

Unlike many, I find something interesting/valuable to me in each issue of Handloader.
    It's all about the advertising, more pages they can force you to flip to more ads they can present.

Boolit Grand Master
    Saw my first "Handloader" while I was in college. After a few months of buying it at the gun shop/car repair place, I got a subscription. That was over 40 years ago. Think I am missing a couple of issues from a few years ago (stupid covid--misplaced my renewal), but I have them all in boxes scattered everywhere(my Father was a master of order, I tend towards chaos)

I have some Handloader mags. The ones I mainly collect are Precision Shooting.

Boolit Man
    The only magazine I hoard. Every issue since about 1986 or thereabouts. I read them over and over and o.....

I don't collect physical magazines, but I'd love to be able to pull together a PDF collection of them. I've only been able to find a handful available as PDFs online, and I am NOT going to cough up 500 bucks or whatever it is for their DVD collection, which - if I'm reading the description correctly - isn't PDFs of the magazines anyway, but some kind of proprietary software that lists all of the old data. If anyone has back issues that they are willing to sell cheaply or loan me for a few weeks, I'd foot postage and we could work out a trade of some kind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CBH View Post
    The only magazine I hoard. Every issue since about 1986 or thereabouts. I read them over and over and o.....
    Good resource for information. I keep mine as well.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I have almost all Rifle & Handloader magazines in sheet protectors. They are kept in three or four inch three ring binders & all in order. They are a gold mine of information.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

The community College I attend has several gun rags going back decades , in some cases to the first issue.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I put out the 500 bucks to hand-made and rifle and got the discs.
    They are the full magazine from cover to cover on the disc.
    You can print out any article or with an ink jet printer you can reproduce the whole mag from c0ver to cover in color.
    Ink is not cheap though and it will cost quite a bit to do that, but issue no 1 of handloader would be fun to have.

Boolit Master
    Issue no 1 would probably be worth some money to sell.

Boolit Buddy
    Handloader is the only one I collect. And the info from 50 years ago can be valuable today. Some of the older cartridges and guns that were regularly written about in the 70's are never mentioned today. I just recently bought two different offerings from Swappin and Sellin. Have read from cover to cover. Was worth every penny I paid.

Boolit Master

I think Handloader was a great mag. I never subscribed. I would love to get a whole collection. Problem is peeps want $5 per issue. I am not paying that. Maybe $1 per issue. I have The Rifleman from maybe 1940 to current. Far more political than gun rag from the '70 on. The older issue have a lot of good stuff in them.
    I may get a scrip to Handloader. Precision Shooting was another good one.

Quote Originally Posted by sailcaptain View Post
    Like others here have said. I have mostly the ones that interest me or have the “how to” articles for the calibers I reload.
    As it would happen, we went through the 100 year flood, “ that never happens” and suffered through an 18 inch flooded basement. Of course the shelf of my Handloaders was the bottom shelf and the .455 Webley Cover story issue was one of the casualties.
    So you have a great collection, my suggestion, put it high on the upper shelf.
    No one knows where we are in the 100 year event cycle at any given moment.
    Similar here. Most of my 1990-present collection was in the shed during our first 100-year flood. Luckily they were on a shelf high enough to survive, but I put them in plastic boxes with tightly fitted covers and put them on a higher shelf. Good thing, 6 years later we had another 100-year flood that was even worse. No problems with the Handloaders then, or in 2 more major floods.

During the boring winter months, I shovel a path to the shed to retrieve a box or two of the old issues and re-read them. Most Handloader articles are so well written that they're interesting when reading a second or third time, and as others point out, I often do deep dives, rooting through old issues to find articles on something that has caught my fancy for the moment.

When Wolfe ran a sale last year on old print issues, I scarfed up 31 pre-1990 and was told that I wasn't the only one. While my wife complains about the space the old mags take up, I point out that I'm only keeping Handloader, BP Cartridge and Rifle these days, and not the other four subscriptions.
    Last edited by muskeg13; 06-07-2023 at 02:24 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    i`ve been subscribing since 1994

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12