MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Bullets for .50 AF Texan

Boolit Buddy

Bullets for .50 AF Texan

Finally got one, whats a good choice of weight/bullet designs for the texan? I´m in Mexico so I dont have easy access to molds and would prefer to swage my own slugs(I made the forum´s swaging press and dies for .22 .25 and .30 cal) but have no experience with the .50, any ideas?

Boolit Master

You have done well making swage dies, I think you will do well with this project too.

I can't off any advice as it would be pure speculation.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for your comment clodhopper, hopefuly my new rifle arrives next friday. Anxious to start working with it.

Boolit Master

How long have been waiting for this rifle?
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    For a few years, Texans are hard to find in Mexico and usually are terrible expensive (about 2500 - 3000 usd). I found one new at a price comparable to US prices so I bought it, hopefuly it should arrive today.

Boolit Buddy
    I checked on a bullet stability program (https://bisonballistics.com/calculators/stability) and it looks funny but the usual bullets (Leeman, NOE) are not well stabilized. According to the results I need a bullet measuring 1.35 - 1.55 inches long, but then weight becomes an issue, it seem that Texans like bullets around 340 gr non spitzer style (according to AirArmsHunting Video); NOE´s .510 bullet mold for 391 gr makes bullets of only .848" long...not long enough for a stable flight, 1.363" long NOE bullet weight is 650gr (to heavy but partially fixable making it HP) I´m not sure if Texans barrel is 1: 26, anyone can confirm this, got this number in the internet but o far have not been able to confirm it

Cast the bullets in pure tin, the weight will be 65% of what they would be in lead.... Run that in your calculator and see what you get.... I checked out the Bison Ballistics calculator, and the Sg is constant at all velocities below 1100 fps (Mach 1).... That is not, of course, correct.... You may want to run your calculations in the Kolbe Twist Calculator.... http://www.geoffrey-kolbe.com/barrel_twist.htm

or in the JBM Twist Calculator.... http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmdrag-5.1.cgi

They both work properly in the Subsonic and Transonic range....

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Great!!! thanks for your advice

Boolit Buddy
    It seems like an alloy around 300 350 gr solves the issue

Boolit Buddy
    I gave the bullet issue a second tought...I´m out of my league so I bought 2 .510 molds and better experiment with them, Its a 15 day waiting period due to shipping to Mexico but I believe it´s worth it. So far the biggest caliber slugs I have are .45 with no way to sabot them in order to fire them in the .50 so I have to be patient.....

I would be interested to see how round balls perform in it

Boolit Buddy
    No round balls for me, bought a mold from titan reloading, just have to wait about 15 days.