Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a 450 Bushmaster load using Lee 340gr

No not yet. I haven't given up. At least once a week I spend a few hours looking for information at other sites.
    Have seen a few loads listed using Unique but not much else. Wish I had something better to report.

Boolit Master
    I have a 350 grain WFN from NOE.
    9.5 grains Unique got 1033 FPS
    11.1 grains Trail Boss got 1019 FPS
    21 grains AA#9 clocked in at 1441 FPS
    28 grains IMR4227 was running 1547 FPS

All loads were through a Ruger bolt action other than the AA#9, which was through a AR-15 16" rifle. The Trail Boss and Unique loads obviously won't cycle an AR-15. All loads were researched from various online sources and I do not believe any come from published load data so any applicable warnings apply. Do no use this data without verifying it yourself.

For Unique I used .45-70 data and the 450 BM was running about 100 FPS faster. 450 BM being a smaller case means more pressure and higher velocity everything else being equal.

Boolit Buddy
    I had shot the 340 out of my Ruger Ranch and my AR and I had terrible accuracy, I’ll see if I can remember what I was using or see if I can find it in my notes

I finally went to the Hornady 255 hP and I started getting one hole groups at 50 and 1.3” at 100

Thanks everyone for the help.

Kind of late to the party but here’s my experiences with the .450BM in a Ruger GSR....

I’ve run a 300gr boolit from an MP Mold for Ruger single actions and a 400gr from a Lee group buy mold from some years back. With Unique, they were fun plinker loads but I wanted heavier.

I’ve tinkered up loads for the RCBS 45-405, powder coated with both gas checked and plain base (modified mold). Sized them to .452 in a couple of steps and then seating to an OAL of 2.295”. Any longer and they won’t chamber.

Powder choice was 10gr of Unique for the plain base and IMR4198 for the gas checked ones. I used .460S&W data to find a start load for the IMR4198 propellant. I’ll confirm the exact tested charge ranges after I recheck my notes. I do remember topping out with this powder because there was no way to get any more of it into the case. Loads with both powders worked very well with great accuracy and no pressure issues. Unfortunately no chrono work was done. The range I use now is super busy and setting one up is difficult. When I can get back to my old range I will remedy that problem. I really really want to know how fast these things are going!!!

Currently, I’m working on a 500gr load. It took awhile to find a mold with the right nose design that would seat out of the case far enough and still chamber. I found an old Lyman 457235 that fit the bill. After powder coating and sizing at .452, I was able to seat to an OAL of 2.63” and still close the bolt. Definitely no danger of these inadvertently slipping into an AR magazine!! I have starting loads made up using light .45/70 data but finding the time to try them has been a challenge.

Stay tuned.....

Mike
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Gun-adian View Post
    Kind of late to the party but here’s my experiences with the .450BM in a Ruger GSR....

I’ve run a 300gr boolit from an MP Mold for Ruger single actions and a 400gr from a Lee group buy mold from some years back. With Unique, they were fun plinker loads but I wanted heavier.

I’ve tinkered up loads for the RCBS 45-405, powder coated with both gas checked and plain base (modified mold). Sized them to .452 in a couple of steps and then seating to an OAL of 2.295”. Any longer and they won’t chamber.

Powder choice was 10gr of Unique for the plain base and IMR4198 for the gas checked ones. I used .460S&W data to find a start load for the IMR4198 propellant. I’ll confirm the exact tested charge ranges after I recheck my notes. I do remember topping out with this powder because there was no way to get any more of it into the case. Loads with both powders worked very well with great accuracy and no pressure issues. Unfortunately no chrono work was done. The range I use now is super busy and setting one up is difficult. When I can get back to my old range I will remedy that problem. I really really want to know how fast these things are going!!!

Currently, I’m working on a 500gr load. It took awhile to find a mold with the right nose design that would seat out of the case far enough and still chamber. I found an old Lyman 457235 that fit the bill. After powder coating and sizing at .452, I was able to seat to an OAL of 2.63” and still close the bolt. Definitely no danger of these inadvertently slipping into an AR magazine!! I have starting loads made up using light .45/70 data but finding the time to try them has been a challenge.

Stay tuned.....

Mike
    Anything new to report?

I found this https://shootersreference.com/reload...50-bushmaster/

I usually use Enforcer, 4227, or Lil Gun, but bullets are 250-275. Best results for that heavy of a bullet would be a slow enough powder to get a complete burn through the barrel.
    Last edited by lawdog941; 04-04-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Hogdon subsonic loads

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	450-bushmaster-395gr-sub-x_231211_194718.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	320870
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looking for a 450 Bushmaster load using Lee 340gr

check out the hodgon load data web site. it is all jacketed data but, that is where i got my load of 5744 for my noe 452-300-rf bullet. i’m sure they have a load for 5744 of you wanted use that powder. hodgon actually had 5-6 data for powders that are usually not in the normal bullet mfg reloading books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    check out the hodgon load data web site. it is all jacketed data but, that is where i got my load of 5744 for my noe 452-300-rf bullet. i’m sure they have a load for 5744 of you wanted use that powder. hodgon actually had 5-6 data for powders that are usually not in the normal bullet mfg reloading books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12