Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 450 Bushmaster load using Lee 340gr

Looking for a 450 Bushmaster load using Lee 340gr

Is anyone using the Lee 340gr bullet sized down to .452? Want to try it in a 450 bushmaster build on a 93 Mauser Action.
    does anyone have anyloads. Have Lilgun, Imr 4198, H110, and Unique powders.

Don't have any data, nor can I find any. From what I've seen, use a gas check if going over 1200. If I were just plinking, and under 1200, (side note) I used to use 13 gr of Unique in my 45-70 with a 405 lead. It was pretty accurate to 100. Prob have to experiment with starting load, 10 gr always comes up, and it will clear the barrel at least.

I have thought of the 10gr load, wonder if anyone has tired it. Still looking for a heavier load as well. I have looked everywhere as well and have found nothing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Is anyone using the Lee 340gr bullet sized down to .452? Want to try it in a 450 bushmaster build on a 93 Mauser Action.

I use the 350g Ranch Dog in mine! One of my favorites in the 45/70 so I tried it in the bushy. Sizes down easy. I run mine at .454.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I use the 350g Ranch Dog in mine! One of my favorites in the 45/70 so I tried it in the bushy. Sizes down easy. I run mine at .454.
    Nice to hear, do you have a starting load you care to share.

Looks as if loads for bullets over 300gr are hard to find. Was wanting to try the 340gr Lee and there 405 gr bullet as well. something in the 1200 to 1400 fps range. Would think 4198 or H110 and Unique would work? Also have a pound of Lilgun.

Somebody with quickload could prob give a safe estimate to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog941 View Post
    Somebody with quickload could prob give a safe estimate to start with.
    That would be nice.

No one uses these bullets?

After researching and researching it seems as if the 458 Socom always uses less powder for any bullet weight (starting Loads)then the 450 Bushmaster. This being the case could one not use 458 Socom starting load data for starting loads in the 450 Bushmaster?

"brstevns":this one (GRT) is free: https://grtools.de/doku.php?id=start
    It does have the 450 bushmaster, but might not have your bullet. You can toy with other bullets and look at charge progression perhaps from what is available, and see what you can learn.
    Be careful, you know models and all that.

Boolit Buddy
    The problem is the 450 typically shoots pistol bullets so your outside the weight range most peeps use and getting into 458 SOCOM territory.

I’ve never looked at the 450 case volumes compared to the 458 case? If this is a yet to be built rifle you might consider the 458. Lots more bullets in the weight range you are considering. That’s why I went that way.

I like my 458 with 405s, it’s like a 45-70 in an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    "brstevns":this one (GRT) is free: https://grtools.de/doku.php?id=start
    It does have the 450 bushmaster, but might not have your bullet. You can toy with other bullets and look at charge progression perhaps from what is available, and see what you can learn.
    Be careful, you know models and all that.
    So far have not been able to get the program to work on my computer. I am not going to give up.
    Want to thank you for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by XTR View Post
    The problem is the 450 typically shoots pistol bullets so your outside the weight range most peeps use and getting into 458 SOCOM territory.

I’ve never looked at the 450 case volumes compared to the 458 case? If this is a yet to be built rifle you might consider the 458. Lots more bullets in the weight range you are considering. That’s why I went that way.

I like my 458 with 405s, it’s like a 45-70 in an AR.
    It looks as if the 458 socom holds between 2.1 to 3 gr over the 450 Bushmaster. So I would think the starting loads would be a safe place, since the starting loads for the 450 is always over those of the 458.

Any other thoughts on the matter? If all else fells I do have a 230gr Lee pistol mold I could use.

Still could use some loads

Sometimes I feel as if I must have Leprosy or something just as bad. LOL Seems as if there is no answer to my question . Maybe it is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Good luck, I had 1 range session with cast that made me think it was going to work but that's the only one. It was a NOE 290 gr round flat. It is a Ruger American and I never got it to come around until I tried Shooters World Buffalo Rifle and Hornady 250gr FTX. As far as a starting load, the FTX 250gr likes 37 grs of the above powder and a CCI std primer with a Lee FCD used gently.Attachment 298290
    Last edited by murf205; 03-28-2022 at 10:39 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

brstevns: Call Hodgdon and ask for a ballistician. They used to be very helpful.

There are a number of people here who would go figure it out for themselves, and I am sure would be perfectly safe doing it, but like me would be reluctant to provide guesstimation data as there are some things that depend on experience and judgement as to knowing if a person has started out safely or not, and where to stop.

Me, I would go "off the grid" on something like this w/o hesitation, but I'm not going to suggest that you do so by following my advice/judgement when there is a resource like Hodgdon available.

Boolit Mold
    I just got into .450BM and came across this thread, BRSTEVENS dis you ever find data? There seems to be an abundance as you’d mentioned for the mid 200gr weights up to low 300, but not much else. I’ve got some Hornady 395gr flex tips that I’ve been able to push to 980fps with trailboss, but that seems to be max for that powder. I’d like to push em to 1050 for suppressor use. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast