Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1:8 twist 308 blank and a Rolling block ...what to do?

1:8 twist 308 blank and a Rolling block ...what to do?

So I have a 7mm rolling block that needs a barrel a 1:8 twist .308 pac-nor blank and I need to decide on a chamber. Was hoping to have a cast boolit gun that would mostly be downloaded for woods walking and small game , but one that could step up in the fall for migrating caribou. It is kind of of short list due to pressure concerns on the old action, but 30-30, 30-40 and 300 black out have all crossed my mind. Anyone have any strong opinions ( 30-40 makes the most sense but I have no brass and it is not cheap or common ) 30-30 I have brass and other guns for and black would be kind interesting in a single shot and may by virtue of its smaller case be run at higher pressures...but may be out for open ground hunting bigger stuff .....probably a 6.5 swede or even a replacement 7mauser makes more sense but my normal suppliers are out of stock and lead times are and issue.

Boolit Master
    I agree the 30-40 makes the most sense. Great versatile caliber for cast or jacketed. Brass shouldn't be all that hard to come by.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    neck down 357 brass build a rimmed 300 blk out

Boolit Master

The 30-40, by all means! I've got a #5 RB, myself, that's going that way when I get around to it.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    30-40 krag would give you the most options for power levels in cast and jacketed projectile weights.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

30-30 Improved?

Boolit Master
    For a 1-8 twist .30cal the .30-30 will have too much powder capacity so no real reason to go to the .30-40 unless shooting jacketed.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

brass..

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    So I have a 7mm rolling block that needs a barrel a 1:8 twist .308 pac-nor blank and I need to decide on a chamber. Was hoping to have a cast boolit gun that would mostly be downloaded for woods walking and small game , but one that could step up in the fall for migrating caribou. It is kind of of short list due to pressure concerns on the old action, but 30-30, 30-40 and 300 black out have all crossed my mind. Anyone have any strong opinions ( 30-40 makes the most sense but I have no brass and it is not cheap or common ) 30-30 I have brass and other guns for and black would be kind interesting in a single shot and may by virtue of its smaller case be run at higher pressures...but may be out for open ground hunting bigger stuff .....probably a 6.5 swede or even a replacement 7mauser makes more sense but my normal suppliers are out of stock and lead times are and issue.
    I just checked gunbroker -30-40 is for sale, wincheter, $115 per 100--that's the going rate for about all full sized brass. I'd go 30-40.

Never heard of anyone think the AI was much of an improvement for cast. But I have never tried it.

Really thinking about starting with the300 BO and the if I hate it or want more ...either the 30-30 or the 30-40 reamer should clean it up ok

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    Really thinking about starting with the300 BO and the if I hate it or want more ...either the 30-30 or the 30-40 reamer should clean it up ok
    I like that plan.
    As an aside, my AR15 300BO with 1-7" twist hates cast, my 30-30, 30-40, and 30-06 with 1-10" twist love cast. My Krag barrel is a Pac Nor like yours but slower twist.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Do to the rimless extractor your RB has going to a cartridge like the 300 blk out I think might be difficult to get a working extractor. Easiest would be another 7 x 57 barrel if you can find one. If you stick with the .308 blank I like the 30-30 a lot. Read the thread posted on the single shot forum by barrabruce about his experience shooting cast from a 30 cal. 1-8 twist.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Sell the 1-8” twist barrel to someone that needs it and get a 1-14” twist from Douglas barrels and chamber to 30-40.
    USMC 6638

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    Sell the 1-8” twist barrel to someone that needs it and get a 1-14” twist from Douglas barrels and chamber to 30-40.
    best solution!!

Boolit Buddy
    Graf and Sons has 30-40 brass two brands in stock from 75 cents

Considering every supplier I have contacted is 4-6 months out to be getting a barrel.....no sales will be taking place. Thanks though. Love the answers you get when you ask "this or that " and you get ..sell it junk it scrap it get something else. Sometimes I guy has what he has and wants to do the best with what he has. Maybe I should get a proper bolt gun in 300 win mag....oh no ...338 lap ......sheesh

Boolit Master
    I still think a .30-30 shooting cast at reduced velocities would be a good choice for what you want. Would still be OK for jacketed at moderate velocities.

And, yes, you can still shoot both in the same barrel. My rule of thumb is jacketed first, then gas checked cast. Clean, repeat.

Boolit Master
    For a 1:8 twist I’d go the 300 blk rimmed.
    Reason being it can shoot light and heavy cast bullets well loaded mild as you like.
    That is if you are mostly after a feed of opportunity.
    If you put a decent bullet into the noggin of most things at stalking range it would do for bigger stuff.
    The bigger 22lr concept the way I see it and you can get away with a light handi dandy rifle
    Shoot it all day on a few grains of say bullseye and 115 grn Lee soup cans or 150 grn cast with a pinch more powder.
    Think easy on the ears and shoulder.
    I put two patches of Ed’s red though my after shooting all day and wipe it down and put it away till next time.
    No fuss.
    No gas checks

Cases last forever. (40 shots and counting)
    If you keep to 34k psi loads. If you go full 30 aet loads expect about 5 reloads max per case.
    Call it a 7.62x33R and you don’t have to try and make a 30-30 out of it to keep up with expectations.

The 30-30 downloaded shoots well (I use one too) but the fast twist might kill you somewhat if loaded up with cast or even jacketed.
    They would certainly be spinning at a god awfull rate when they hit something.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 03-20-2022 at 11:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    On second thoughts you may as well just go and sell everything you got and get a 30-06 and be done with it.
    You can then load it from mice to moose.
    Easy , solves everything.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Nice and easy carry roller with a 22" barrel shooting cast from light to heavy and slow to fast. 30-40 Krag is plenty versatile in all ways. It was my choice in a Handi-rifle that came to me dressed up as a 30-30. I wanted a 30 cal for the variety of cast and I words in both weight and boolit profile. A cartridge that could shoot 110 to 220 grain boolits at all kinds of velocities, for all sizes of game. Rabbits to Elk and black bear. Here's my stalking carry gun. Now a Krag in a Handi-rifle sure did fit the bill just right.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast