MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 44/444 Spitzer Mold for Single Shot Rifles

Boolit Bub

44/444 Spitzer Mold for Single Shot Rifles

Hi all,

I've been looking around for a .432 spitzer mold design suited for hunting. Would love a MP hollow point version - that way the different HP pins could be used for different velocities and applications; something in the 325-350 grain range with a longer, pointed nose for better flight and more lead outside the case. All I find are short, fat revolver/lever action designs or long, solid noses. Maybe something similar to MP's 360-220 or 375-275 rifle molds. Anyone know of one?

I'm inspired by the Hawk or the Cutting Edge 44 spitzers and really thinking it would shine in a Contender rifle for hunting elk and larger game at longer ranges. My ballistic software (GRT) even shows in 444 that 62 gr of LVR powder *should* (theoretically!) move a 350 gr out of a 24" tube up to 2261 fps and 44k psi - could be a real hammer, on both sides. I'd love to try to work up such a load (even if only 1800 fps), but can't locate the right mold design.

Would love to hear some thoughts, thanks,

Pete

Boolit Master
    Would be interested in any info you may get for my 444

Boolit Master
    Frank De Hass did some tests regarding twists for the 444, he said 1x20 was best. My 444 Marlin has been hiding in my safe for quite a while now. Frank

I've got a new CVA Scout single shot 444 Marlin caliber with 1:20 twist and I'd love to try some out in it.
    Bullseye is the skill, everything else is just games.

Banned
    i have a tc encore with a 23" MGM barrel with a 1 in 20" twist and everything i loaded up (220gr wc, 250gr penta hp, 255gr Keith, 275gr ranch dog, 280gr wfn/lfn gc, 300gr saeco fn gc, 200gr xtp, 240gr xtp and 265gr hornady fn) is great, except unique, i could not find a 1" and under group at 50 yards. so i gave up on it and i got trail boss loads that would.

reloader 7, h4198 and 2400 are my go to powders, esp the 2400 with dacron and 300gr fn gc. at 1620ish fps, the deer don't stand a chance.