WidenersRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum Accurate Distance for an Airgun Today

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Maximum Accurate Distance for an Airgun Today

What is the maximum distance you can accurately shoot a modern air gun today?
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Greg,
    It will depend on caliber and how you define "accurate".

I have only tested .22 cal guns and I get under 1" groups (average of over 200 5 shot groups) at 50 yards. I would take a shot on a squirrel or rabbit at up to 75 yards with no hesitation. I expect to be testing at 100 yards this year.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    They are subject to wind far worse than any true firearm bullet. It takes almost nothing to push them radically off course. On a dead calm day they are accurate out to a hundred yards if you’re shooting a really high quality airgun.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    What caliber and weight projectile would get you to 100 yards?

Boolit Grand Master

Nit first hand but Ive seen you tube videos if hits being made at 600 yds with the 45 cal pcp rifles

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Nit first hand but Ive seen you tube videos if hits being made at 600 yds with the 45 cal pcp rifles
    The problem with YouTube videos is that they don’t show the 999 failures they had before it worked.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    What caliber and weight projectile would get you to 100 yards?

If you were to get a decent airgun, you’d want to get a sample pack of the most popular pellets for your caliber gun. There are a couple of places selling sample packs to do this with. Out of the twenty-five samples of different pellets you might find three or four that shoot well out of your gun. It’s pretty much like trying .22lr ammo to find out what your gun likes best. My Daystate .22 PCP prefers AirArms Diablo 18g pellets which will shoot under half an inch at 50 yards. To get to a 100 yards with it you need to use a really good scope, a zero wind day, and a great deal of experience shooting precision rifles. It’s a stretch shooting at 100 yards but it’s doable.

100 yards in wind is very difficult with pellets, but OK with slugs.... Further than that, you must allow significant drop, but I have seen sub MOA groups achieved with slugs at 200 yards in calm conditions.... Beyond that, slugs are generally lobbed onto the target until an appropriate aim point is determined.... and the hit percentage is very seldom indicated....

Bob

I have shot Rimfire Silhouette with my R1 Springer out to 100 meters. JSB Exact 18 gr. pellets. Sun was behind us so you could easily see the pellets fly thru the air. A bit of a Rainbow but I could hit the Silhouette Rams @6" long by 4" high, with nearly every shot after I got the hold over dialed in. No wind that day. Not as good on Turkey's at 75 meters. Pigs no problem at 50 meters, and Chickens at 40 meters were easy.

All shot off a rest, not offhand. The gun weighs over 10 lbs. and is a beast to cock. I have to use my right arm to cock it as my left arm isn't as strong.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Bub
    I just saw some shots at over 600 yards! For me, it’s 100 yards for ethical hunting.

Boolit Master
    Wind ! That is a genital breeze here it really not windy till the trace chain is straight out on the pole.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    What is the maximum distance you can accurately shoot a modern air gun today?
    Thanks
    How much money do you want to spend?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Look into the Airforce Texans. 257 or 25 cal. Guys are hitting soda cans out to 375 yards. Shot after shot. Just youtube some of the Texans.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Huge difference between a .25 cal Condor and a .257 Texan.... just sayin'....

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    With my fx impact, I can do 3 inch groups at around 275yards. then my scope runs out of elevation. The trickier part is figuring out what the wind is doing to the slug across that distance.

They’re starting to work on heavier slugs and twist rates to make them buck the wind a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Wind ! That is a genital breeze here it really not windy till the trace chain is straight out on the pole.
    I'm not shooting with anybody experiencing a "genital" breeze. You fella's can do what you want.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Please look into this and form your own opinion!
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AirgunRegulator/videos

Anyone who can get 1" groups at 100 yards with an airgun deserves your respect, they are few and far between.... Over on the Gateway To Airguns, we have a club called NUAH, which stands for "Nuttin' Under A Hundred".... The highest division (Master) requires a 5 shot group under 1", inside a 2" circle at 100 yards, on the NUAH target, with no other holes in the paper, covered or not.... We have a total of 30 shooters who have accomplished that, and there are over 21,000 members on the GTA Forum.... Just ONE person has qualified as a Master at 200 yards, you may have heard of him.... Doug Noble, of Condor and EBR fame.... Just sayin'....

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast