RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Bump Up 40 cal to .41?

Boolit Bub
    Betwixt the Altamont and Las Trampas in Northern CA

Bump Up 40 cal to .41?

Good day great learned ones!
    My first post, but have been lurking awhile.

Novice caster that’s trying to absorb as much info from his pops, who’s casted for 60+ years before he walks west. Never swayed a boolit in my life, nor witnessed it first hand, so please be patient with any foolishness I present or ask to be clarified!

Right before the great lockdown and renewed hoarding of materials I bought an as new 41 mag NM Blackhawk for about half current retail. Bought a couple hundred pieces each mag and special Starline brass, some Lee molds, as well as usual suspect for J words.

Must say though with everything going on in life, and scarcity of materials I haven’t shot this one yet, but soon.

Anywho, was wondering if 180 to 200 grain jacketed 40 cal could be bumped up reliably for the 41? TMJ I’d imagine being easiest, most reliable (and cheapest.

Thanks,
    Pepe

Boolit Master

I have 41 Swage dies and 40cal jacketed bullets! I will have to give it a try!
    It won’t be in the near future but I will try it!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I have 41 Swage dies and 40cal jacketed bullets! I will have to give it a try!
    It won’t be in the near future but I will try it!
    Thank you DeltaE, I look forward to what you learn!
    If not difficult or elaborate set up needed (say could be done on heavy single stage Press like Lee Classic or Orange Crusher etc) it could open up the door for Target and plinking.
    If I ever use that BH on big game I’ll use a true 41 boolit in cast or J word made specifically for such things.

To get the equipment to do this right will be expensive. The Blackhawk revolvers will shoot cast lead very well. Unless you are willing to go down the "Money Pit", I would stay with cast.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

It worked!
    But I agree with what was said above!
    You can buy plenty of jacketed bullets for the price of the dies . The cheapest ones are from CH/4D at about $300 and can be used in a stout reloading press.

Boolit Bub
    Sasquatch and Delta, I appreciate both your comments and AGREE. I can be like a raccoon distracted by the latest glittery thing, usually to my detriment. If I still had access to the full machine shop, I could do it to tinker and distract. Now? Money and time dump better spent on what I already have which is more than sufficient. I currently have sufficient commercial bullets and about 500lbs of lead. Going back to the casting section now!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe le PewPew View Post
    Sasquatch and Delta, I appreciate both your comments and AGREE. I can be like a raccoon distracted by the latest glittery thing, usually to my detriment. If I still had access to the full machine shop, I could do it to tinker and distract. Now? Money and time dump better spent on what I already have which is more than sufficient. I currently have sufficient commercial bullets and about 500lbs of lead. Going back to the casting section now!!!!!
    Don't be totally discourage. Keep an eye out for used equipment here, on Ebay and at Dave Corbins site. But first do a little research and see what current new prices are. Some people think what they have is worth more then new.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Bub
    Oh I’m truly not discouraged!
    Actually encouraged because you two made me do good re-evaluation of what I was considering.
    If, and only if, I could make do (as some have) using regular bullet and cartridge dies to reform say 9mm or 40 S&W, then I’d love it. Not match grade but usable. But honestly since I don’t have a rifle in this caliber, cast is fine. Heck most cast will be fine without a gas check for my most used purposes.