Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions, Lyman Mag 25 or RCBS Pro Melt 2

Boolit Buddy

Decisions, decisions, Lyman Mag 25 or RCBS Pro Melt 2

I've decided to buy a new furnace and have narrowed my choices to either the Lyman Mag 25 or the RCBS Pro Melt 2.
    I cast primarily pistol boolits, .38 and .45 caliber with some .30 cal rifle boolits. I do run off a few hundred a year of 525 gr boolits for .45-70 BPCR but since I ruined both of my shoulders a couple of years ago I'm not sure how much of that I'll ever be able to do again.
    I've been casting for something like 20 years. Started with a cast iron pot on a coleman stove and later got a Lee 4-20 bottom dripper. When the Lee pot was working right I could cast a heck of a lot of bullets in fairly short order but it got to be a PITA so I converted it to a dipper pot.

I figure both of them are made in China and quality will be pretty equal.
    The Lyman pot looks to have a clunky design for the mold guide where the RCBS is pretty simple but more flexible as to what molds it will accommodate.
    Other than that they seem almost interchangeable.

If you've got either one what is your thoughts on them and would you buy it again or go a different route?
    Anyone had opportunity to use both of them? If so which did you prefer?

Thanks

Not sure about the Lyman.

If you're not in a big hurry, I'd wait and look around awhile to try and find a older pro-melt that isn't digital.
    The new ones have been problematic enough that RCBS has held them off the market from time to time.
    I've got a old pro-melt from the 90s and have run at least a 3,500 pounds through it over the years
    for boolits, fishing sinkers, and 8 pound down rigger weights.

And it's still on the job.

Another option is the larger Lee pots. I'm not a big Lee fan, but they have a great reputation overall.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I have a pro melt 2 , I had to contact rcbs for the newer valve as the one was dripping , other then that it is a good pot , last time I looked the price was up a lot since I bought mine .

The older pro melt I bought used is a good pot , but I went back to running the pro melt 2 to see if it would develop any problems , so far it works good .

The Magma would be my choice if money was no object , though I still have both my 10 lb and 20 lb Lee pots and they were good enough for a long time and I do not regret them one bit either .

Sorry no experience with the Lyman .

Boolit Master
    I have the Lyman Mag25.It works fine.I have no problems with the mold guide as I use Lyman,RCBS and Saeco molds.The guide is made to work with Lyman hollow point molds which I do use.It is not necessary to cool down before shutting off.I have had mine for several years.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a lot of Lee tools, most of them are pretty decent, never cared for their powder measures though. My modified 4-20 will be kept in case whichever bottom pot machine I get doesn't give me good fill on my big .45 rifle boolit molds. I know I can ladle cast them successfully.

While a Magma pot would be nice I just don't have the need for that much capacity or expense.

Most of my molds are either Lyman or RCBS and one BACO so sounds like the mold guide will not be a problem, I've got a pile of Lee molds but I seem to have a knack for wearing them out after 10-12 years of use.
    Starting to look like the two choices are pretty interchangeable. Might have to hunt up some more Youtube videos.
    Price may also come in to play. Midway just sent me a notification that they have the Lyman unit in stock but it is now $75 higher than the RCBS.

Take my comments for what they're worth. I only been in the bullet casting for a few. I have an older 10lb Lee pot to start with which I referred to as a leak-o-matic. used it for years to make sinkers.
    I picked up a mag 25 couple years ago. As long as you keep your material pretty clean and clean the pot it works fairly good but still drips.
    the mold guide is "ok" I made a couple modifications that helps with the narrow molds. The temp control is spot on and holds real good.
    I was going to get a pro melt but they were unavailable at the time.

Boolit Grand Master

Awhile back I had a customer service issue with Lyman. After that I don't foresee any future Lyman products for me except for used molds, handles or sizing dies. I have only contacted RCBS customer service a couple of times but they have been outstanding.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Both pots had some negative reviews when they first came out. I don't know which one I would choose if I was in the market. I would probably look for more recent reviews. Being a retired electrician I might look at mounting a small axel type fan in either one to cool the PID.

I'm not a big Lee fan but considering the negative reviews I might look at the 20# Lee pot.

Boolit Master

I have both; the Lyman is the better of the Two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A77E5A1E-A333-4F72-99E6-FD28091631B6.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	297574

you would want to modify the Lyman with this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E300D18F-AC40-4FFF-82A8-1721FF050176.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	297575

Boolit Grand Master
    If your injured shoulders affect casting, look at a Master Caster. I decided to go that route after dealing with issues I had. With a two cavity mold it will produce about 400 bullets an hour. There is a limited selection of molds but that is not too constraining for my needs. All I cast are pistol bullets. If I ever decide to cast rifle bullets, or HP’s, I can still cast by hand, but the quantities would so low that I can handle that.

I was able to find a used one in excellent condition for $700 3-4 years ago.
    Don Verna

I've got the Lyman and (knock on wood) have no issues with it in 3 years now. I like it much better than the LEE I had. I would have liked to get a RCBS but the $$$ stopped me. But again, I am very pleased with the Lyman.

I have the newer RCBS. The biggest downside to it is you have to let it cool down to 160 degrees before you unplug it. Also, RCBS does not warranty the electronics other than the initial warranty.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a Lyman on back-order w/ Buffalo Arms, and while waiting a fellow shooter who had recently received one had it fail on its first use! He sent it back for repair/return... and while waiting I did a bit of research. The thoughts were these were doomed to fail as the electronic components (PID stuff?) were tooooo close to heat and from that, prone to failure. I rang Buffalo and inquired if I might cancel the b/o'd Lyman and instead get the RCBS ProMelt? No problemo at all!!!
    Two notes: 1/ I have used my RCBS regularly, albeit at irregular intervals (hey -- my casting style is for one 10-hour session; then, not resume for maybe two-three weeks) for maybe three years now, with nary a hitch/problem!!! 3/ From what I've been told, Lyman recognized the failure of their design and moved the electronics about a bit to attenuate this cause of failure. Hence, they might be OK now -- my hopes for those who since purchased, and now use them.
    Echoing other posts re RCBS's customer service ("10+") versus Lyman's ("0.3") -- should my RCBS fail -- the same model I now have WILL be its replacement!
    Just MY thoughts/experience....
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
    I've decided to buy a new furnace and have narrowed my choices to either the Lyman Mag 25 or the RCBS Pro Melt 2.
    I cast primarily pistol boolits, .38 and .45 caliber with some .30 cal rifle boolits. I do run off a few hundred a year of 525 gr boolits for .45-70 BPCR but since I ruined both of my shoulders a couple of years ago I'm not sure how much of that I'll ever be able to do again.
    I've been casting for something like 20 years. Started with a cast iron pot on a coleman stove and later got a Lee 4-20 bottom dripper. When the Lee pot was working right I could cast a heck of a lot of bullets in fairly short order but it got to be a PITA so I converted it to a dipper pot.

I figure both of them are made in China and quality will be pretty equal.
    The Lyman pot looks to have a clunky design for the mold guide where the RCBS is pretty simple but more flexible as to what molds it will accommodate.
    Other than that they seem almost interchangeable.

If you've got either one what is your thoughts on them and would you buy it again or go a different route?
    Anyone had opportunity to use both of them? If so which did you prefer?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I sold my old Lyman Mag 20 after I got a RCBS Pro Melt, really glad I did, now I won't have to deal with Lyman customer service at some time in the future.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 of the older Pro Melts. One I bought new shortly after they came out. Picked up the other two used. One came with a PID. One of the used had a little drip problem, but a good cleaning fixed that. The only thing I regret is that I did not go with a PID long ago. I don't think I would buy a new one.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I went ahead and ordered the Lyman unit from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Once I've gotten it and had a chance to give it a test drive I'll post a review.

I have the Mag 25. It replaced a Lee 10lb. I really like the Mag25 and I’ve had it for several years now and it’s been trouble free. No instant electronic burnout that was eluded to earlier in this thread. I would buy it again.

I just purchased a Pro Melt 2 and set it up.
    Looks great but i haven't cast with it yet.....spring yard work is taking my time.
    Here is a link to a short conversation a few posts down ICYMI.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Retirement-day
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I recently got the RCBS because I’ve never been disappointed with an RCBS tool, but I have been disappointed with Lyman tools. The biggest nit-pick I have with the RCBS is that it is hard to smoothly control the flow rate of lead - it’s either ON or OFF. I came from a Lee 8lb bottom pour, where it was very easy to feather the nozzle between open & closed. If I don’t develop the necessary muscle memory to overcome this, I’ll adjust the handle so it moves farther while the nozzle moves less.

Boolit Man
    I asked this same question back in July, some good input here: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...27#post5232827

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast