Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Sharps-Borchardt "Pfiefer Rifle Co."

Boolit Grand Master

Sharps-Borchardt "Pfiefer Rifle Co."

The Gun Gods have been good to me over the last few months, and I managed to find another "Bucket List" gun. Actually, that is not all true. I have been bugging a friend of mine to sell me his 1878 Sharps-Borchardt chambered for a 219 Donaldson Wasp for the past five or so years. We had started a conversation about the Wasp, and I told him that I had one in a Custom Contender that Fred Smith of Bullberry had made for me and that I really liked the cartridge. He stated that he had a Sharps in the same caliber, and I've been bugging him ever since, even though I had never laid eyes on it.

Well, he final decided to sell it and asked me to meet him at the range to look it over. I met him at the range, and he was kind enough to bring some loaded ammo to try it out. Once I laid eyes on it, I knew that it was going to be mine!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20220227_093027.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	297508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20220227_101332.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	297509

First off let me say that the 219 Donaldson Wasp is one of my favorite cartridges and considered by many to be the "Grandfather" of benchrest cartridges. There are many ways to form the brass but the easiest (for me) was to buy some 7mm US brass from EABCO (it was a proprietary cartridge years ago based on the Wasp) and just run it through a FL sizing die. My little Contender rifle gave me 3/4" groups at 100 yds. consistently with about everything that I fed it.

The Sharps was a converted 1878 rifle with a 4-digit serial number. The records for the manufacture date or type of original rifle are long gone, but I would guess the manufacturing date to be around 1880-1881 based on the serial number and the fact that only 22,000 were ever produced. I noticed while inspecting it that the barrel was engraved with "Pfiefer Rifle Co. Roscoe, CA". Overall the gun was in fantastic shape! It had a 6X Unertl Small Game scope attached to it with a crosshair/dot reticle, and although there were a couple of minor spots of rust it was in immaculate shape.

Name:	thumbnail_20220227_101321.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	297510

A quick side note, the Pfiefer Rifle Company was one of the premier gun shops in the late 50's early 60's. Joe Pfeifer who owned the shop was renowned for his accurate barrels and accurate rifles. His Chief Stock maker was D.M. (Monte) Kennedy who would go on to his own fame and fortune.

I popped the action open and loaded her up. I took two shots to warm the barrel up and check zero, then fired a 3 shot group. After the last shot was fired I turned to my friend and told him that the rifle was sold.

Name:	thumbnail_20220227_094953.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	297511Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20220227_100936.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	297512

So, in closing, I have a 1878 Sharps-Borchardt made by a renowned (at the time) Gunshop, that is probably but cannot be proven was stocked by Monte Kennedy and which shoots great groups in a caliber that I really like. By the way, the deal also included 300 loaded cartridges, 100 formed cases, a Hollywood press and form and loading dies. I won't mention the price because you would NOT believe what I paid for it!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

I am seriously jealous. Very nice.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Yeah, that one is nice! Ammo and brass to boot. Which Hollywood press? Sounds like you robbed your buddy!

Boolit Grand Master

It is a Hollywood Senior single stage.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Check under the woodwork, the stocker may have stamped or written his name there somewhere.

That's a great looking Borchardt, and appears to be super accurate too. I've never been a Sharp 1874 fan, but always liked the Borchardt rifles!

I too am jealous ! That’s a really nice rifle.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    The stuff that dreams are made of! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Boolit Master
    A true treasure, thanks for sharing your pics and story.

Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful rifle. Congrats