MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Heavier boolit less recoil

Heavier boolit less recoil

Suprised me. I have been shooting a Ranch Dog boolit in my .44s for a while. 22.0 of 296 was giving 1400 fps from a 7.5 inch barrel. Good accuracy but my middle finger was getting smacked pretty good.

Scrounging around the loading area I located some 300 grain boolits from a mold I forgot I had. What the heck let's give 'em a try. Loaded over 19.0 of 296. Great accuracy and no finger smack. Actually pretty pleasant to shoot.

Go figure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    In my experience, "Snappy" recoil is the result of velocity. "Big push" recoil is about bullet weight. "Snappy Big Push" recoil is the result of velocity and bullet weight.

Only a couple of points of reference I could find in my notes.

7 1/2" S&W Stealth Hunter. 310gr Lee FPGCDC crimped in top cr grove over 20.0gr H110, Fed Mag Pistol. Five round avg 1,203 fps at 5 long paces and 60 Deg F. Fully 200 fps less vel. than your ranch dog load.

4 1/4" S&W M69. 310gr Lee FPGCDC crimped in top cr grove over 18.8gr H110, Fed Mag Pistol. Five round avg 1,062 fps at 5 long paces and 46 Deg F. Fairly moderate recoil -- I could make multiple hits on spinner at 10 yds double action -- got that sucker spinning really fast.

2 3/4" S&W M69. 355gr LFNGC crimped in top crimp grove over 18.8gr H110. Not chronoed but guessing less than 1,000 fps (1,164 fps from 7 1/2" Super Redhawk). Big push but not snappy.

2 3/4" M69 300gr Miss Bull Hammer, over 20.0gr H110/W296, Crimped in cr grove 1,070 - 1,100 fps. Recoil controllable.
    2 3/4" M69 300gr Miss Bull Hammer, over 17.5gr A2400, crimped over front dr band -- recoil just a bit heavier than 265gr SWCGC w/same powder charge. 1,120 fps w/265, 300gr not chronoed

Buffalo Bore and Underwood Factory loads in diff bbl lengths (the BB Load is starting to get uncomfortable in the shorter bbled guns.

Buffalo Bore, 305 LBT LFN HC rated 1,325 fps
    Underwood, 305 LFNGC Plated (HiTech?) rated 1,325 fps
    LabRadar muzzle velocity at 33 deg F
    S&W M69 2.75" ===> BB 1,195 fps ===> Under 1,147fps
    S&W M69 4.25" ===> BB 1,276 fps ===> Under 1,248 fps
    Ruger SRH 7.5" ===> BB 1,395 fps ===> Under 1,315 fps

FWIW,

Paul

Thanks Paul.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    The recoil felt really has a lot to do with What gun, and how its set up, along with grip, and projectile weight and powder speed.
    In USPSA, we are always looking for low recoil at "full" power level - whether that be major or minor power factor.
    For autoloading handguns, many find that a heavy for caliber projectile with a fast for cartridge powder gets less recoil, i.e. 200 gr bullet/boolet with Tightgroup/E3 will give lower perceived recoil for the power factor. I think a lot of this has to do with "timing" the recoil with the slide movement, and some with muzzle blast.
    In my pistol caliber rifle, I can tell the difference in fast powders (AmSelect, E3, Titegroup, Solo1000) from slow powders (PowerPistol, 12/28) with the same boolet weight. To ME, faster powders have more perceived recoil in my 38spl rifle; this is different than in autoloading handguns. So if I load 4.2 gr of AmSel (158gr at 1000fps), it feels crisper/sharper than 5.5 gr of 12/28 (158gr at 1200fps).

Boolit Bub
    I have same results as OP with full house loads of 240gr vs 300gr in a SRH 454. 240's are wicked..

Boolit Master
    The ranch dog bullet has more bullet inside the case and you’re using 15% more powder. More bullet inside the case means higher pressure even with a lighter bullet.